Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 12:01 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,753,241 times

Advertisements

My family recently came into possession of a large (30 acre) parcel of developable land in the city limits. The family needs to dispose of the property for tax reasons. I'm wondering - I could hire a normal real estate agent but it would seem that large developable land may be best served by a speciality real estate agent.

What kinds of specalities are out there and how do I go about finding one that may be very skilled at selling this kind of property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 01:23 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Honestly, most areas have a few developers that are well known in the area. Out here parcels like this don't usually go through the MLS, but directly to the developers. We call them up and negotiate a deal directly.

You can ask at the local county who the developers are in your area, or you can ask a local real estate agent that specializes in new construction or land sales. They will typically know the large developers in town. Don't hire a rookie, and even I, a good real estate agent, would have an attorney involved in the review of this transaction.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:56 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
My family recently came into possession of a large (30 acre) parcel of developable land in the city limits. The family needs to dispose of the property for tax reasons. I'm wondering - I could hire a normal real estate agent but it would seem that large developable land may be best served by a speciality real estate agent.

What kinds of specalities are out there and how do I go about finding one that may be very skilled at selling this kind of property?
Find a realtor that specialized in new home development..he or she will have tons of contacts! They will also understand planning and zoning requirements for that area and talk to the developers about what they can and can't do with the property. Good luck! Too bad you couldn't hold onto it as I'm sure it will be worth a few pennies a few years down the road.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:05 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
If this is zoned for uses other than single family residential, you should consider engaging a commercial agent, and one with a good track record of converting sales with related zoning or with clients who may have needed zoning changes to achieve the highest and best use of the properties.

I also like the advice of approaching developers, but you should recognize that you have no representation, so you will need to engage a real estate attorney to help you with contracts.

Either way, this is not the time to cheap out, and get in over your head with a rookie or a dabbler.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:24 PM

Why would I need a lawyer to write the contract?

Isn't this something straight forward like a traditional single family home sale? It's owned fee simple by one person, it's not a trust or anything like that. I've read through contracts for regular home purchases and they aren't complicated.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:40 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:

Isn't this something straight forward like a traditional single family home sale? It's owned fee simple by one person, it's not a trust or anything like that. I've read through contracts for regular home purchases and they aren't complicated.

Sure, we have standard forms in NC, "Offer to Purchase and Contract Vacant Land." Simple.
The due diligence is where the fun comes in in vacant land. Contingencies are a little more involved, and options to buy are a little more common. Good place for an attorney, if any development, multi-family, mixed use, or commercial opportunities exist.

Where I live, I would propose that 30 acres of developable residential-zoned land in City limits may be worth as much as $2,000,000- $5,000,000.

Mixed use? Much more.
Commercial retail? Even more.

It seems to me that fixing the market value, and having a good contract are important. A good Land guy can help with that market value.
Keeping it simple may not be the best way to accomplish the sale.
Will you be liable for mishandling your family member's asset if you are perceived to "give it away?" A good attorney can help with that.
I would have an attorney vet any proposals and contract, with that much mad money floating around, family or not.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:10 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
I agree with Mike, WileyJ, and Silverfall. Sorry guys, can't rep ya right now.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:

What MikeJ said. This would be a multi-million dollar purchase with a serious amount of contingencies out here. This would not be a "straight forward" contract by any means out here.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
What MikeJ said. This would be a multi-million dollar purchase with a serious amount of contingencies out here. This would not be a "straight forward" contract by any means out here.
OK - so what kind of lawyer do I hire and what do I hire them to do?

The purchase contract would be provided to us by the seller (I assume) so would I hire a real estate lawyer to review the contract and make sure the terms of the agreement don't expose us to unnecessary liability?

Old 09-03-2008, 10:09 PM

You'd want a land use attorney. (real estate attorney that specializes in land deals)

The attorney would write up the contract. Forget the store bought forms. NOT a good plan with this type of deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate