Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 12:43 PM

959 posts, read 1,824,264 times

Advertisements

I have a watch on certain places and have noticed a lot of homes pop up as new listings that I have already toured. My house has been on for about 2 months now and we have taken new pictures and adjusted the price by A LOT so it would be great to show it as a new listing. How can this be done?

Kristine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 01:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
I think take it off the market for a while and then put it back on.

But a RE Agent can tell you for sure how to get it done.

I've seen it too on some sites..homes that I saw months ago show up as fresh listings.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:13 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
In most MLS's, whenever you make any type of change to the listing, it's considered an update and it gets sent back out in everyone's searches as new and updated.
If the description is changed, if the price is changed, if the commission is changed, if anything is changed, it's "updated" and sent back out. The system doesn't pick and choose when to consider it updated verse an agent just saving the listing again to make it seem like something is new.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:51 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times
It's a mute point. There is cumulative days on the market. So even though it gets kicked into the system as new, the agent would just look at the listing and see the real number of days on the market.

At least in our system, any price change, etc gets the listing resent to people on auto emails and searches. In effect it acts like a new listing.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:06 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
It's a mute point. There is cumulative days on the market. So even though it gets kicked into the system as new, the agent would just look at the listing and see the real number of days on the market.

At least in our system, any price change, etc gets the listing resent to people on auto emails and searches. In effect it acts like a new listing.
Is that also true if it is taken "off the market" for let's say 1 or 2 days and then it gets a new listing? I've seen some houses where they come back on and it hasn't been cumulative. I'm guessing the sellers actually took it off the market for a day or two. Can the op do that?

Lisa

Old 09-05-2008, 02:40 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,897 times
Yes, but there is a problem with that.

As an appraiser, when I research a property, I look at how long a particular property has been on the market. Frequently realtors try to hide it by changing something in the address but it rarely works.

Our MLS now has a "DOM Report" but even without it, the total days on the market can be found.

Why do you want it to be a new listing vs an updated listing?

Old 09-05-2008, 02:43 PM

959 posts, read 1,824,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
Yes, but there is a problem with that.

As an appraiser, when I research a property, I look at how long a particular property has been on the market. Frequently realtors try to hide it by changing something in the address but it rarely works.

Our MLS now has a "DOM Report" but even without it, the total days on the market can be found.

Why do you want it to be a new listing vs an updated listing?

Because it seems like the new listings would get looked at more. I feel like with all the dinking around we have done for the last two months, I missed my peak and I am trying to make that up. Maybe what I would like to do won't work. I don't care if anyone can see how long it has been on the market, I am just trying to get my house in front of people's faces now that the price and pictures are good.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:44 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Is that also true if it is taken "off the market" for let's say 1 or 2 days and then it gets a new listing? I've seen some houses where they come back on and it hasn't been cumulative. I'm guessing the sellers actually took it off the market for a day or two. Can the op do that?

Lisa
I think it has to be off for 30 days to stop the Cumulative clock, but I'd have to check on it. Also, we have a history button right next to the DOM stat. One click and it tells you all of the listing, relisting, relisting, and relisting history.

I strongly suggest a good marketing plan with no games from the get go. It's much better for sellers that way. Most buyer's are onto this game. It makes no sense to play it.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:01 PM

6 posts, read 13,497 times
I agree with Schousse. The Realtors will definitely play the game and hide it if they can and yes Hammy5 there are many ways to accomplish that. I use the following website occasionally, as I find their mortgage information/news to be "real".

http://www.mortgagebreakdown.com

Old 09-05-2008, 04:23 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,169 times
basically, every MLS is going to be different in how they calculate (or don't calculate) DOM cumulative time. And each MLS will have different rules as to how you can withdraw a listing and relist it. Ours must be out a min. of 24 hours. and it can still garner a fine if not done for a good reason. the best way for you to accomplish this is to discuss with your agent how to make it a new listing.

And it is true that each time you made a price change, etc.. your listing was probably sent out as well. Ask your agent what the MLS does in your area.

Good Luck,

Shelly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate