Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 12:57 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times

Advertisements

Hello! I have been working with a realtor who's been helping me look for my first house, but during that process the house with the floorplan I liked the most went off the market. I understand they pulled the listing when they had trouble selling since I was told they moved back in. I haven't talked to my realtor in over a week, since we looked at most eligible houses in the area. This is the best house I saw, so I was considering just walking up to their door and talking to them to see if they would be willing to sell.

What is the protocol for that sort of thing? Do I need to engage my realtor BEFORE doing anything or AFTER talking to them (if it goes well) or AT ALL? I still want my realtor to get paid for her services, but I'm unsure as to how it works if the seller is no longer using a realtor... Any thoughts?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 01:06 PM

620 posts, read 1,951,193 times
I would feel more comfortable using the realtor. We saw a FSBO on the website that I wanted to see. Our realtor said, " I will go up to the door and talk them." I was sure glad she did because I had just printed the listing that day and come to find out- the new owners bought the house TWO YEARS prior. FSBO website had their listing still there.

As a seller right now, I would NOT talk to someone who randomly just came up to my door if I would pull it off the market. I am not saying that they wouldn't talk to you,but I just think it would be a trust issue.

Your agent can go up to the door and show her/his card and tell them that a client is interested in their home.

Good luck.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:28 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,785 times
I would ask your agent to find out for you if it is possible to still buy it. Your agent may want to contact their original listing agent or not... depends on how long they have been off the market. Understand you may not have as large a negotiating stick : ) but good luck!!!

Shelly

Old 09-09-2008, 01:43 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,993 times
One thing to be aware of; most listing agreements will have a clause that states that the owner would be obligated to pay the sales commission for a period following the listing agreement unless sold via another broker.
Since some people may not read the things that they sign the owners may not realize that this obligation could be called if they sold to you directly.
You should have your agent talk with the owners to see if they still have an interest in selling.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:37 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,432,146 times
I would also read your contract with your buyer's agent (if you have a contract) to see how it spells about commision on property's not listed with an agent. Good luck

Old 09-09-2008, 03:08 PM

314 posts, read 1,230,469 times
Your agent will be more than happy to talk to them. People often give up, but they still have plans to move.

If it has not been a long time since they came off the market, there is a chance their old agent still has them under their protection period. This applies if you went to see the home while they were listed with the other agent. So unless they sign with a new agent, your agent will most likely deal with their old agent.

Who knows maybe they were building a house and had to back out of the contract, but it is still available. You may make their day!!

Old 09-09-2008, 03:32 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
I would have your buyer agent call the old listing agent. Most contracts have clauses that the seller will owe the listing agent the commission if a buyer was found via their marketing efforts. I've done it before.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:56 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Hello! I have been working with a realtor who's been helping me look for my first house, but during that process the house with the floorplan I liked the most went off the market. I understand they pulled the listing when they had trouble selling since I was told they moved back in. I haven't talked to my realtor in over a week, since we looked at most eligible houses in the area. This is the best house I saw, so I was considering just walking up to their door and talking to them to see if they would be willing to sell.

What is the protocol for that sort of thing? Do I need to engage my realtor BEFORE doing anything or AFTER talking to them (if it goes well) or AT ALL? I still want my realtor to get paid for her services, but I'm unsure as to how it works if the seller is no longer using a realtor... Any thoughts?

Thanks!!
I was just a buyer & seller and will give that type of opinion..

As a seller I wouldn't mind you knocking on my door & would probably prefer it. You don't know what type of relationship I had with my agent and I might be more inclined to consider a sale if we spoke.

As a buyer I would go knock on the door, telling them that I walked their house so many weeks ago but didn't have time to come back. I would say that since I used an agent I knew I had to give my agent commission and that their agent might also be entitled to commission if we worked out a deal.

If they are willing to speak to you, then get the agent involved by having them arrange the showing.

I wanted to see one property when we 1st started looking, the agent wouldn't even talk to my agent, guess they wanted the full commission. After 2 or 3 months I called myself and actually got a person on the phone to speak to. My agent said she left messages or that she spoke to the agent or someone in their office but they never got back to her. I asked when I met the agent at the property, he didn't remember her calling. I believe her more then him but one never knows.

If you want something done, some times you have to do it yourself.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:58 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
I would have your agent contact them. That's part of their job and I'm sure they would be happy to do it.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:30 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,984,353 times
This is SO exciting! Imagine those sellers not being able to sell their house and then an offer comes in when they take it off the market. How cool is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate