Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 01:34 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,751,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
There is a difference between providing all the information needed to make a decision and forwarding an email. An ENORMOUS difference.

The buyer's agent could have told the buyer the information provided within the email, minus the emotional spin put on it (since it is the job of real estate agents, AND attorneys, come to that, to be objective third parties precisely so that business doesn't get mixed up with emotion any more than it absolutely has to, so that reasonable decisions can be made). I do think that the listing agent should not have put that arrogant part in, no matter how arrogant the buyer might be, for just that reason, but even if he did, the buyer's agent should have stepped up to the plate and not thrown gasoline on the fire by forwarding it as written, but conveyed the information that was readily gleaned from it instead.

I noted something earlier - the OP says that HE provided the seller with his justifications for his price. My question is, was this through his agent or did he take it upon himself to directly contact the seller and do so, bypassing both agents? If so, it's possible that he so offended the seller that they may not be willing to take ANY offer from him - and that may be where the perception of arrogance truly comes from. (Another reason that agents are supposed to convey information and not emotions from one party to another when at all possible.) While, technically, buyer and seller can, of course, speak to each other, it's not the wisest thing to do and when it occurs, I've seen it go bad many more times than I've seen it not. As for "justification", I was thinking of comps that would have been provided by the buyer's agent to the buyer when determining the offer or counter.

I think both agents dropped the ball and acted unprofessionally here.
All communication on the offer was through my agent and sent by the buyers agent to the sellers agent and in turn to the seller. I wouldn't bypass anyone.

I did communicate a couple times with the listing agent but only as a cc: to the e-mail with the buyers agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 01:42 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,964,887 times
Original list price and current list price have very little to do with actual sales price. The sellers net they'll accept and the most they buyer will pay to reach an agreement are all that matter. Right now, you have 2 different opinions and if neither of you budges just move on.

And I do think you sound arrogant about the transaction since you seem to want to know. And why on earth are cc'ing the list agent? Don't do that again, let your agent handle it for you.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:46 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,992,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
The buyer's agent could have told the buyer the information provided within the email, minus the emotional spin put on it (since it is the job of real estate agents, AND attorneys, come to that, to be objective third parties precisely so that business doesn't get mixed up with emotion any more than it absolutely has to, so that reasonable decisions can be made).
It is certainly not your job to be an objective third party. It is your job to be an agent for your principal and to act in his best interest. What makes you think that you are better equipped to read between the lines and understand all the nuances of a communication than the person that hired you? The buyer may very well want to know, and has every right in the world to know, that the seller is being emotional. Even if it ends up killing the deal, it is the buyer's right to know all the facts and react the way that he wants. Your job, as far as this issue is concerned, is to advise your buyer that reacting in an emotional way is not the way to get what he really wants.

It takes a lot of nerve to handle your principal like a mother handles a child.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
And why on earth are cc'ing the list agent? Don't do that again, let your agent handle it for you.
If you, as a buyer, are communicating directly with the other side, which is perfectly fine to do by the way, it is better to deal directly with the seller and, if you want, cc both the agents.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:51 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,691,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin-Willy View Post
Not to single you out, because several agents said the same thing. But wow! This is exactly why I prefer to handle all the negotiations myself. Who asked you to be a buffer?!

Your client needs all the information in order to make the best decision for him, not just the information that you think he should have.

I will have to remember this next time I'm shopping for agents... make sure up front they understand who works for whom, and who needs to be the recipient of all the information (and who needs not to be a gatekeeper!).
Real estate is an emotional business. Competent agents absorb emotions and keep the focus on the end goal.

That a seller perceives a buyer as arrogant good for nothing pond scum does absolutely nothing to move the two parties to a closing table.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:53 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,980,332 times
I don't think having someone represent me who is unbiased and unemotional about my property is treating me like a child. Not everyone maintains a level head during these stressful times and it is best for someone to keep tempers in check and see through all the muddle. Buyers and sellers tend to get caught up in the personal side of it, agents do not. I appreciate an objective 3rd party.

I can get emotional also, so knowing that a prospective buyer is getting emotional, is just going to make me dig my heals in further....it's very easy to become offended and lose sight of the goal.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
I don't think having someone represent me who is unbiased and unemotional about my property is treating me like a child. Not everyone maintains a level head during these stressful times and it is best for someone to keep tempers in check and see through all the muddle. Buyers and sellers tend to get caught up in the personal side of it, agents do not. I appreciate an objective 3rd party.

I can get emotional also, so knowing that a prospective buyer is getting emotional, is just going to make me dig my heals in further....it's very easy to become offended and lose sight of the goal.
Well then, with all due respect, you are someone who does need to be protected from yourself. Millions of people out there don't. And for an agent to think that they can discern who is capable of sifting through the emotional stuff and who isn't is very arrogant indeed.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Real estate is an emotional business. Competent agents absorb emotions and keep the focus on the end goal.

That a seller perceives a buyer as arrogant good for nothing pond scum does absolutely nothing to move the two parties to a closing table.
A buyer can use a seller's emotion against them, and vice versa. Most of them don't need an agent getting in the way of the transaction. I hope any agents who operate this way tell their clients up front "I'm only going to tell you what I think you need to know."

Old 09-11-2008, 02:07 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,691,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post

What does it matter if the buyer is arrogant, cocky, chicken, timid, shy, fat or skinny?
[quote=bigtrees;5224087

So current owners see my original offer as 66% of original asking price rather than 96% of current listing price. They consider that being taken advantage of, I see it as they listed it way too high for the market to start with.[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
So, is it about business or emotions??
Having been a buyer and a seller on multiple occasions I could care less about the warm fuzzies as long as the price is right.
No doubt about it, if the buyer offered the original ask price, the seller would have forgotten anything overheard. But the reality is, the offer is 66% of the original list price, a fantasy price that the owner believed the place was worth, an enormous emotional trigger. Emotions kill deals.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:19 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,964,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin-Willy View Post
If you, as a buyer, are communicating directly with the other side, which is perfectly fine to do by the way, it is better to deal directly with the seller and, if you want, cc both the agents.
Well part of the agents job is handle the transaction for the buyer/seller to help keep emotion from clouding the greater goal. In this case, as is often the case, emotion is now clouding both parties judgments. Had everything gone through the agents there would be a better chance it would get done and everyone would be happy.

Secondly, there is the legal aspect. The agent also needs to protect clients legally and it's hard to do that when we aren't in there as a buffer. If the client wants to go it alone, then go it alone and don't bring an agent in the picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate