Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 06:12 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
ok, so write your contract like that and see what the seller says.... you are still negotiating.

but, 3% will usually cover closing costs and prepaids in our area, so I think 4.5% is excessive. What is the mortgage lender charging? points? are you trying to get the seller to pay points for you as well?

shelly

It is only excessive if the Lender will not allow it.
If it covers typical costs, the balance can be applied to a rate buy-down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 09:10 PM

1,673 posts, read 7,016,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
What is the purchase price, the value, and why a dealbreaker demand for specifically 3%?
How can we know whether that is reasonable or practical without having any insight at all to the transaction?

I see that boilerplate demand closing costs advice all over the place, and the basis in a specific realty is tenuous at best.
If the Seller is getting out by the skin of their teeth, and another 3% would push them into a short sale on a property that the Buyer really wants, how is the Buyer served by advice that comes from nowhere?
You are a realtor who is supposed to be working for the best interest of your client. If your client was this person(the buyer)why not ask for it and use it to negotiate the best offer. I never say make it a deal breaker, if the poster really wants the house and seller refuses, then accept the original offer.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:21 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
I found a house that I want and the seller states he will pay the closing costs if I pay the asking price..fair enough. Today I received the good faith estimate. Should I inform him what the closing costs are ? Also...if he states he will pay the closing costs, does he automatically assume that includes the pre-paids as well ??
That's a pretty basic question. Honestly, nobody here can tell you exactly what to negotiate without knowing all the specifics. I suggest hiring a good Realtor to help you. If you're still predicting the market collapsing more like you've been singing all along, why are you buying now?

Old 09-11-2008, 09:47 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorBurek View Post
You are a realtor who is supposed to be working for the best interest of your client. If your client was this person(the buyer)why not ask for it and use it to negotiate the best offer. I never say make it a deal breaker, if the poster really wants the house and seller refuses, then accept the original offer.

If you hang around real estate for a little while, it won't be long before you learn that price is not the only parameter to be considered when considering the clients' best interests.
Focusing on price alone is one very easy way to get burned quickly.
Of course, with all options laid out, and comps pulled, and research done, the Buyer may decided that 3% closing costs are wanted. And I would try to get them.

From a North Carolina perspective, which is one other consideration when having RE beer talk on line:
When the Seller refuses, how do you accept an original offer if it is not put back on the table by the Seller?
Countering is rejection, and takes the Seller's offer off the table.

And you said "...the only way..."
Drawing that line in the sand sounds like a dare to be a Deal Breaker to me.

Throwing out generic advice to folks we don't know on questions without details can hurt people who follow that advice.
"Prescription without diagnosis is malpractice." One of my favorite sayings often applies.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:39 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,150 times
I am buying because the price is very low compared to the comps and the seller is paying all closing costs and the house is impeccable !

Old 09-12-2008, 07:41 PM

1,673 posts, read 7,016,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If you hang around real estate for a little while, it won't be long before you learn that price is not the only parameter to be considered when considering the clients' best interests.
Focusing on price alone is one very easy way to get burned quickly.
Of course, with all options laid out, and comps pulled, and research done, the Buyer may decided that 3% closing costs are wanted. And I would try to get them.

From a North Carolina perspective, which is one other consideration when having RE beer talk on line:
When the Seller refuses, how do you accept an original offer if it is not put back on the table by the Seller?
Countering is rejection, and takes the Seller's offer off the table.

And you said "...the only way..."
Drawing that line in the sand sounds like a dare to be a Deal Breaker to me.

Throwing out generic advice to folks we don't know on questions without details can hurt people who follow that advice.
"Prescription without diagnosis is malpractice." One of my favorite sayings often applies.
Please explain your line of "price is not the only parameter to be considered when considering the clients' best interests." What other parameters do you consider? In this situation, the client has found a home, in the area they must like so please dont come back with parameters of location, number of bedrooms, pool, etc.. When you are placing a offer on a home what other parameters do you consider for your client? Not trying to be rude by asking, just trying to educate myself.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:34 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorBurek View Post
Please explain your line of "price is not the only parameter to be considered when considering the clients' best interests." What other parameters do you consider? In this situation, the client has found a home, in the area they must like so please dont come back with parameters of location, number of bedrooms, pool, etc.. When you are placing a offer on a home what other parameters do you consider for your client? Not trying to be rude by asking, just trying to educate myself.
There are many parts of a contract to negotiate...earnest money, financing, closing date, closing cost, inspections/ repairs, appliances, contingencies, warranties. A good negotiator finds out what matters to the other side and concedes that to get what's important the their side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate