Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 07:42 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,055,167 times

Advertisements

That's so odd. You'd think the previous owners would want their mail and especially packages! The items in packages can be so expensive. You can go to the post office and let them know. You can also leave a note in your mailbox saying so and so person does not live here. One of the two ways should take care of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 07:42 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Ten months is a long time. I would have probably opened a few of these packages, by accident, of course.

I have visions of drugs, guns or cash.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:08 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
We have a sign in our mailbox that shows the different names that we might get mail for (Us, my business name, my Mother's and Mother in law's names). Maybe this will work in reverse. Put a sign that you will ONLY accept mail for the following names.........

IF you do know their address, maybe send them a letter telling them that you will no longer forward the packages to them, and they need to give out their correct address.
Then if something comes, just mark it refused and send it back, or let it sit on the porch.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:40 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,650 times
For the mail, you can put your name in your mailbox like-'Smith family ONLY'-that way the carrier that day will know what mail to leave. I'm a carrier and fill in on many routes when the regular carrier is off-I don't always know that someone moved.

I don't know what all to tell you about the non-postal packages. Those companies do things their own crazy way. I've had them leave packages thrown over a fence into my backyard-which as an USPS carrier, I'd never do. Maybe you could drop off the UPS package at one of those pak-n-ship places? But really, you should not have the hassle, that's a drag.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:47 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
Many years ago I had this type of thing happen. Not with the previous owner, but someone who was using my address to receive packages that they did not intend to pay for. Since I worked they were picking through the mailbox and retrieving packages for several months before I became aware of it.

I had to write a letter to the postmaster explaining the situation and she took care of the USPS end of it. Write the letter, explain in detail, address it to Postmaster-your town, and put it in your mailbox for pick up.

I opened each package that arrived via UPS to find the packing slip and called the sender and told them that there was no such person ever at my address. In each instance I was told I could keep the item for my trouble, and eventually one of the companies discovered that this person was using several addresses in my neighborhood to receive packages and none of them had been paid for. Once that discovery was made stuff stopped coming and I never had any more trouble with it.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:40 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,094 times
I will put a note in the box saying "X mail only" and hope that works. If I keep getting the UPS and such, I will just have to call the previous owner and tell her to get it fixed. Its just uncomfortable.

Racelady-that's CRAZY! Hope you did get some nice items for your trouble, but shame on the people doing the ordering!

Old 09-20-2008, 06:27 PM

516 posts, read 1,888,424 times
Don't sign for anything.

If they continue to have their stuff delivered to your house, then you can't be responsible for its safety. I imagine if those packages started getting lost, they might change their tune.

Do you know what is in the packages? I've heard of people having drugs shipped to other houses and then retrieving the package through a variety of means. Maybe you should just start turning the packages in to the police, explaining that you want to make sure this isn't happening.

Whatever you do, though, I would find another address to have packages shipped to. It wouldn't surprise me if your packages started getting "lost" after you take any action about this.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:27 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Being at the other end of this situation, it is frustrating also! I work from home and get boxes upon boxes shipped to my house. When we moved, I informed my office of my new address, but STILL they were shipping to the old address!

It took a few months to clear it up, but with getting a new server, the new address was dropped or not put in the correct place.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:38 PM

414 posts, read 1,257,521 times
Oh that is annoying. I agree with the others in that you should tape a note on the door for UPS and email them so you have a time/date stamp should anything come of it. They sell doorbell covers. I'll DM you the link.

Also, what is UP with these delivery guys and their random placement of packages? I came home to find a 5" x 5" box sitting in the middle of my driveway. If I hadn't of been looking, I would've ran over it. They've done that twice. *grumble*

Old 09-21-2008, 02:46 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
If a private courier(UPS,FedEx,DHL,etc.) drops a package at your home, you do not have any obligation to contact anyone regarding the status of the previous occupants. Furthermore, you can't be prosecuted for opening or damaging these packages. These deliveries are not afforded any federal sanctity protections.

If it's delivered by the postal service, it's considered to be mail and you're obligated by law to inform the P.O. of the error, and make a reasonable attempt to keep the package intact until the carrier retrieves it. Leaving it by the mailbox(whether on the house or the curbline) with a notation is sufficiently reasonable.

If you went through a 2 month stretch without getting USPS deliveries addressed to them, my guess would be that they filed a temporary change of address for a 2 month period. When a temporary lapses and the person(s) fail to file a new permanent change for that old address, it's presumed that delivery should re-commence at the previous address again. Maybe they moved from the apt. and filed a permanent change from that address, mistakenly believing that their mail from your new home would also be forwarded automatically.

Last edited by Stratford, Ct. Resident; 09-21-2008 at 02:59 AM.. Reason: More info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate