Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 08:55 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times

Advertisements

I don't know what you can do with UPS or FEDEX, but with regular mail, you should call your post office. After 2 years of receiving mail for the previous owners, I called the post office in charge of my address, and told them what was going on, that I was sick of it, and I didn't want to see another single piece of mail that didn't have my name or my husband's name on it. Previous to that, I had spoken with the mailman, and he seemed to understand, but didn't "listen".

After I spoke with the main person at the post office, it's a year later, and I'm still not receiving mail from the previous owner so that call definitely helped!

I agree with the others about calling UPS and telling them to come pick the packages up. I wouldn't want to be liable for anything important that was lost just because they said it was left at the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 01:18 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
That seems to be an awful long time to be getting the previous owner's packages. I think "return to sender" is your best bet. Tell your neighbor you will no longer be delivering their friend's mail to them.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:28 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,880,812 times
I don't have the package problem, but after four years living here, we still get mail for past resident. We have contacted the P.O. talked to the mail man, leave notes on mailbox, nothing works.
I have even started opening the mail and calling the sender and told them. Even that doesn't always work.
On some occasions, I just stuff them back in the outgoing box after writing "No longer at this address". The same mail arrives a few days later, with my explanation on the front.
The problem stems from the fact we are dealing with robots...!

Old 09-21-2008, 03:40 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
We still get mail (usually mail wanting to sell her insurance or some such thing) for my deceased mother-in-law, who not only never lived at the house that we currently live in, she never lived at the house that we moved from 12 years ago, and she died in 1990.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:03 AM

158 posts, read 405,427 times
Default Package? What package?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
We still get mail (usually mail wanting to sell her insurance or some such thing) for my deceased mother-in-law, who not only never lived at the house that we currently live in, she never lived at the house that we moved from 12 years ago, and she died in 1990.
LOL!

Enough time has passed. I would lose the packages in the dumpster behind the local grocery store, after ripping off the labels of course. I think I'd open them to be certain there weren't any shipping descriptions left inside with my address. But I would toss them and the contents, never to be seen again!

Old 09-23-2008, 06:22 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,791,891 times
I'm in the same situation... an unsealed letter came yesterday that turned out to be for the people that used to live in the house I bought 3 months ago. Apparently some university has been trying to send the previous owners $300 in refund checks for over a year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate