Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 06:19 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,425,207 times

Advertisements

I'm of the other school of thought. I don't normally attend inspections. I like for my buyer and the inspector to have that one-on-one contact and for the inspector to explain everything to the buyer directly. When I go, the buyer ends up looking to me for advice on repairs, how serious issues are, etc. Now, I'm happy to give my thoughts and advice, but the inspector is the professional in that situation and I've found that when I'm there, my buyers end up looking to me over the inspector for advice.

I'm also ALWAYS willing to go should the buyer want me there. When I explain my side to the buyers, they usually agree. Never had a problem with not going. It's never adversely affected a deal in any way and my buyers have never felt put out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 06:54 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,840,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
When I go, the buyer ends up looking to me for advice on repairs, how serious issues are, etc.
Easy to fix " he/she is the expert. I'm not the home inspector or a contractor"

shelly

Old 09-19-2008, 07:53 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,941,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duhrambull View Post
Is it reasonable to ask the agent spend another half day with me during the home inspection?
I do not attend home inspections, insomuch as I can simply interpret the report afterward; however, I do attend the walk-through for new homes to assist the buyer in pointing out defects to the builder.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
I'm of the other school of thought. I don't normally attend inspections. I like for my buyer and the inspector to have that one-on-one contact and for the inspector to explain everything to the buyer directly. When I go, the buyer ends up looking to me for advice on repairs, how serious issues are, etc. Now, I'm happy to give my thoughts and advice, but the inspector is the professional in that situation and I've found that when I'm there, my buyers end up looking to me over the inspector for advice.

I'm also ALWAYS willing to go should the buyer want me there. When I explain my side to the buyers, they usually agree. Never had a problem with not going. It's never adversely affected a deal in any way and my buyers have never felt put out.
Kelly - you're approach it appropriate. The home inspector is the certified expert, not the buyer's agent. However, we should have a firm grasp of interpreting reports to navigate the negotiations with the seller to correct defects that have been identified.

Finally, gas prices are too high to make unnecessary trips. An e-mailed inspection report can accomplish the same result for the buyer's agent.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:03 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,425,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
Easy to fix " he/she is the expert. I'm not the home inspector or a contractor"

shelly
True...but I'm mainly referring to the buyer paying more attention to me than the inspector. When they're there alone with the inspector, they pay a ton more attention to things.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:02 AM

192 posts, read 437,833 times
Quote:
True...but I'm mainly referring to the buyer paying more attention to me than the inspector. When they're there alone with the inspector, they pay a ton more attention to things.
As a first time buyer, i have no clue where to pay attention to? should i just follow the inspector around? what kind of questions should be asked right on the spot?

Old 09-19-2008, 10:07 AM

192 posts, read 437,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Kelly - Finally, gas prices are too high to make unnecessary trips. An e-mailed inspection report can accomplish the same result for the buyer's agent.
My realtor will get 20k out of this transaction, he better has some money in the bank now to cover the gas money
It will be a lot easier to communicate with the agent than with the inspector ( a total stranger in this long home buying process), that is why i am thinking to ask my agent to be with me during the home inspection.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:18 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
I attend inspections (I've only missed one) as the buyer's agent. Sometimes I'm there when the buyer isn't. I do explain that my main purpose at the inspection (if the buyer is there, and I strongly encourage them to be) is to stay out of the inspector's way while he does the inspection and shows them what he finds. I watch - and listen - from the background, but the inspector is working with the buyer, not me. The buyer and I then go over the inspection report together once it's emailed to both of us (photos, please, inspectors, lots of photos!) and discuss options.

For the person upthread who asked how the inspector could get in the house if the agent isn't there - here, most licensed inspectors have their own lockbox key and code that allows them to get into the lockbox (which records who entered when) and are usually already in the house by the time I arrive (promptly, not late).

Old 09-19-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duhrambull View Post
My realtor will get 20k out of this transaction, he better has some money in the bank now to cover the gas money
It will be a lot easier to communicate with the agent than with the inspector ( a total stranger in this long home buying process), that is why i am thinking to ask my agent to be with me during the home inspection.
I see; you're nervous and need to be comforted by the familiarity of your agent; in that case, it could be appropriate for your agent to attend.

I wish you the best!

Old 09-19-2008, 02:40 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,246 times
At the time of the inspection my agent is still representing me to the sellers and I do expect them to be not only 'aware' of what is going on but involved in the process. We have worked with some difficult sellers, I wouldn't put myself in the position of being unaccompanied on their property with only the inspector (who I don't know at all). I also don't want sellers following the inspector around, explaining why the water line to the fridge leaks or that yes, some windows stick but a little soap will loosen them up. Having a homeowner present at inspection is worse than during a showing, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate