Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2008, 08:51 AM

40,919 posts, read 48,863,927 times

Advertisements

Spiderman, In Tx the inspectors I know are all members of the local MLS andl use CBS codes to get into the home which I like. It keeps a record of who comes & goes and is a convience for all the parties. Inspectors are licensed by the state just like all RE Agents and risk all the bad things that can happen if they abuse the MLS / Lockbox / Licensing system that's in place.

It's is amazing they don't teach agents the useful purpose of what a CBS code is cause agents could use it to restrict access to a home by any party if needed.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 05:01 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,816,722 times
I think that is very cool Rakin. Our inspectors aren't "licensed" in our state... We do actively use CBS codes though. In showing instructions it will say, call for CBS code. That way I know when anyone is showing my properties. Cause they can't get in without it : )

shellly

Old 09-21-2008, 02:29 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,723,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
MikiJayne...I'm curious, isn't that like a conflict of interest kind of thing??? Or are ALL inspectors used in real estate dealing in your state/area required to be members? How does a buyer know who to call? Do the agents have their 'favorites' or just take the next one on the list kind of thing?
All Home Inspectors in my area are members of the board. Who to pick? I usually recommend the company that I have had the best luck with (quick reports that are easy to read, professional and thorough inspectors, easy to schedule, followup, the way they explain things to the buyers ...) And I always tell buyers that they are free to use whoever they want, but I would use these people if it were my house.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:58 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,195,312 times
Default CBS codes

I have inspector friends all over the country. Many have Supra keys and have no trouble whatsoever getting into homes.

I first thought it was me**, just getting the run around from listing agents, but found that other inspectors in my area were having the same problems.

**I know it may be hard to believe, but I am not at the top of many Realtor's lists (as a favorite). So I thought they were maybe just trying to make it hard for ME. But that wasn't the case, it was a bunch of us.

Honestly, I really don't understand why they can't give us the same access as the Realtor's have. They can still tell who and when the keys are used.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:11 PM

40,919 posts, read 48,863,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Honestly, I really don't understand why they can't give us the same access as the Realtor's have. They can still tell who and when the keys are used.
I totally agree. We use several licensed contractors that have Supra's and enter without a CBS code just like an agent. For some reason inspectors have to have the extra code to get into a home.

You guys must be kinda shady.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:00 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,195,312 times
Default Shady Dudes

You bet!!!!!!! Let's see. Someone set an appointment for an inspection, so at least ONE person knows WHO will be in the house and WHEN. The person that set the appointment, will likely tell one or both of the Realtors WHO will be at the house, and WHEN.

So, yeah....we all think that's the best time to go into the house and steal the hardwood floors, or maybe the kitchen cabinets, or the can or corn from the kitchen.

All of that is still ignoring the fact that every time a Supra key is used, there is a record of who and when someone used it.

It's all about control, and home inspectors are the red headed step child as far as the Realtor community is concerned. In KNoxville, we (home inspectors) tried to get key access for years. "No can do" was the response. Then when licensing was on the horizon, we were told that we could get them as soon as we were licensed.

Licensing took effect in July 2006, and it wasn't until almost October they finally let us get them - except we had to use the CBS code, and jump through hoops. It was a joke.

Giving us key access is really to help the Realtors, since they won't have to drive over to open the house. In the case of a radon test, it's to open the house for only a few minutes. While it is an advantage for us not to have to wait on Realtors showing up on time, it really costs us a lot of money to save someone else time and gas. We HAVE to be there to do the inspection - the Realtor does not. It's really all about making their life easier, yet they don't see it that way.

I have to say that the Realtors in Knoxville are way above the norm as far as showing up on time, and not blowing off the appointment. While I have had a few times where there was a delay getting into a house, I can't remember the last time I had to come back another day (maybe 10 years ago). My inspector friends in other cities can't say the same.

Sorry for the drift, I'm off the soapbox now.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:33 PM

10,901 posts, read 21,858,378 times
What is the point of being there for the whole inspection? The inspectors typically do a better job w/o having someone follow them around distracting them with questions or small talk. The summary at the end is what is important.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:45 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,029,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
What is the point of being there for the whole inspection? The inspectors typically do a better job w/o having someone follow them around distracting them with questions or small talk. The summary at the end is what is important.
IMO, if the buyer is there, their agent needs to be there as well. After buying 6 homes I know well it is NOT enough just to see the summary, I want to be there for the inspection. I don't pester the inspector but when they find an issue I want to see it for myself (unless it is in the crawlspace, then I make DH go look...LOL). As others have mentioned, it is a great time to learn about the systems in the home as well, something you can't get just reading the report.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:32 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,367,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelAl View Post
I doubt your agent will personally be getting $20k, although I don't know the sale price of your home -remember there are usually 2 agnets to pay (buyer's and seller's) and the broker will take a cut.
This caught my attention as well. Best case scenerio, for a broker/agent, who doesn't have to split commission with anyone, and assuming they are representing both the buyer and seller, this house would be worth $330k. That is entirely plausible, but the scenerio is unlikely in the first place.

A more normal scenerio would be 2 agents involved, and a good split. Lets say 80/20. I don't know what is normal for other offices with no desk fees, but that is pretty normal for experienced agents at our office. That would make the price of the house jump to $830k

A new agent, who is on a 50/50 split would have to sell a house at a price of $1.33 million to make $20k.

People tend to think that agents make a lot more money than they actually do.

For an average $250,000 house for an experienced agent at our office, they make about $6000 before expenses & taxes. Don't forget, since they are self employed, they have to pay double Social Security and Medicare taxes from what the rest of us grunts pay. So call it $4000 ballpark after taxes, still before other expenses. And that's for an experienced agent on a decent split.

Now look at the fact that in todays market, most agents aren't selling very many houses. Even using the axiom that 20% of the agents do 80% of the business, an agent in the 20% (so the busier ones) only sold an average of 4-5 houses in our MLS area last year. So that's $24,000-$30,000 before taxes and expenses on average for the agent who is actually working.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:35 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,367,082 times
On topic, it depends on who is doing the inspection. If it is an inspector an agent knows, and they are comfortable that the report will be complete, understandable, and with photos, it is sufficient for the buyer and the agent both to show up for the last 30 minutes and get the recap, or even just wait for the report.

On the other hand, if the inspector is an unknown, I think the agent and buyer both should be there for most or even all of the inspection, to make sure the inspector actually does things like climb on the roof, open the attic access, and get in the crawl space. I've known of inspectors who don't do any of those things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate