Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:41 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisainCali View Post

My clients usually follow the inspector around for the first 1/2 hour or so asking questions and watching the inspector flush toilets, poke around under the sink, etc. They then get bored, and begin mentally moving in to their new home and placing furniture, discussing paint color, measuring walls, etc.
Have you been talking with my agents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 10:54 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,780,535 times
From the buyer's side, I would be there to shake the inspector's hand, tell him/her to take their time and be thorough and then I would leave for lunch and maybe a little book shopping since I think it is natural for people to hurry up their jobs if the customer is waiting right there and I would want the inspector to not feel that tacit pressure. Also, I'm kinda of fidgety anyway.

I would prefer to show back up about 15 minutes before the inspection is supposed to conclude and that is when I would also want my agent there with me as the inspector is giving his report. When I bought the home I'm in now, my realtor oversaw the inspection while I was at work, which was fine with me since I trusted her. It was a new home anyway and there were no real issues and none have popped up as yet more than a decade on.

The question I have, though (at the risk of highjacking this thread), is if I wanted to bring in a general contractor, as someone suggested in another thread, to check things out as a kind of second opinion AFTER the regular home inspection would sellers be put off by that, perhaps in wanting both inspections to be done concurrently? And would the home inspector prefer the gc come in after or during his/her examination of the property? Should I also expect my agent to be there when the gc is performing his inspection or is that considered something outside of the normal purview of a buyer's agent?

Old 03-31-2011, 12:04 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,574,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobE View Post
...The question I have, though (at the risk of highjacking this thread), is if I wanted to bring in a general contractor, as someone suggested in another thread, to check things out as a kind of second opinion AFTER the regular home inspection would sellers be put off by that, perhaps in wanting both inspections to be done concurrently? And would the home inspector prefer the gc come in after or during his/her examination of the property? Should I also expect my agent to be there when the gc is performing his inspection or is that considered something outside of the normal purview of a buyer's agent?
It may depend on your contract, but in the one used here, the buyer has the right to do any and all inspections they want during the inspection phase defined in the contract. The seller has no right to object or block inspections. But, you need to read your contract to understand your rights during the inspection phase. The sellers may be put off, but that is the process they agreed to when they signed the contract.

I suspect most inspectors would rather that your gc came in prior to or after they do their inspection. As a buyer agent, I'd want to be there with your gc. Unlike a formally trained inspector, a gc is unlikely to provide a well written report of findings that can be reviewed when they are done. It would be better to get their comments first hand. I would need this info if the buyer decides any issues will need negotiation with the seller.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:32 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,287,634 times
I have had clients bring a contractor to the inspection while I'm there. It's usually because they are considering renovations and want to get his/her opinion while they have access to the property.

Many times things come up during my inspection that the Buyers want a contractor to look at to get an idea of what the repairs will cost. They usually have them come in a day or so after the inspection.

Like I said before, I don't care who is at the inspection, I do my job the same way.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:54 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,102,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Yes. I'm present at mine with few exceptions. Had a sick kiddo today so I didn't make it, but it is my practice to be there.
I agree. I would only miss it if it were and absolute can't make it.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:07 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,029 times
If I remember correctly, our agent was there during the inspection...instead of us.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:25 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,646,579 times
We lived in New City and our realtor went to the inspection for us!

Old 03-31-2011, 03:49 PM

218 posts, read 798,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthShoreMA View Post
I am always at the inspection. One time, the buyer's agent was an hour late so it was good I was there - Another time, the buyer in addition to the home inspector had a contractor friend look at a beam with 16 year old termite damage which had been treated prior to the seller buying the home, the contractor said if it were me I would just leave it alone - nothing has happened in sixteen years and the house does not show any sign of damage from the old termite damage, well, sure enough the next day the buyer (himself) sent an email asking for $15,000 reduction in the house price - had I not been there and heard that, my seller would have been out $15,000 - but because I heard what the contractor had said, we didn't reduce the price of the home. Just my .02 on why a buyer's agent should always be present. Just in case ppl are not exactly honest........
As a buyer, that sounds like a great reason for me to not want the listing agent present!

I just went through a home inspection and we spent a lot of time going over not only what was wrong with the house but potential repair costs and debating which issues might be worth neogitating to have repaired/credited. That's not conversation I would be comfortable having in front of a listing agent and since I was the one paying for the inspection, I think I would have felt like I missed out on some of what I was paying for by not being able to discuss my questions and concerns freely with the inspector and my agent. Obviously it varies by contract but I'm not obligated to share (nor will I) my report with anyone. If the seller wants that info, they are welcome to hire their own inspector.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:38 PM

83 posts, read 324,988 times
My seller's would disagree, as I said, my being there saved them some $15,000 - if the buyer's agent had showed up ...... I might have stayed upstairs and left them a while...but since the buyer's agent was less than professional and either never showed up/or showed up late to all appmts we had at the house - I had to be there.......my seller's were thankful to say the least....

Old 04-02-2011, 01:37 AM

218 posts, read 798,914 times
Again, as a buyer that sounds like a really good reason to not have the listing agent present for the inspection. I'm sure the seller was thrilled you were there to represent their interests but I really doubt the buyer had a similar reaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate