Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 02:53 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,734,836 times

Advertisements

I feel like I can negotiate repairs much easier if I know what exactly the issues are. I will try to always be at the inspection for that reason. If I really can't be there for the whole thing, I will at least try to come towards the end for a summary.

Generally, I want to hear what the inspector has to say about things first hand. I also have learned a lot from them and I think that is extremely valuable. Plus, the company that most people use around here has a really cute inspector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 03:06 PM

7 posts, read 18,974 times
Absolutely! If possible, have both agents at the inspection. After the inspection is complete, the inspector is able to produce any findings to both agents and print a summary for the listing agent to discuss with the sellers. It makes the process of negotiating so much faster.

Old 09-19-2008, 03:27 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,839,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duhrambull View Post
As a first time buyer, i have no clue where to pay attention to? should i just follow the inspector around? what kind of questions should be asked right on the spot?
here is what I tell my buyers: This is your inspection for your new home. It is absolutely your opportunity to learn about your home. Don't think of that inspector is looking for items to blow up a purchase or what you can gouge a seller for, look at is an opportunity to learn about your home, the things inside it, age of equipment, roof, etc... So, yes, bring your coveralls, bring your flashlight. And feel free to follow him/her anywhere. Find out where your filters are for cleaning and changing. Should you change or are they cleaning type? where is the water shut off? gas shut off? where is the electrical panel box? what shape are the gutters in? You will get a report, but for me seeing is learning!!!

Also, this is a great opportunity to get those measurements. Bring your measuring tape, and camera. Take pictures, plan furniture, check out applainces, etc. I will hold the other end of the measuring tape for you.

For the agent, it is like watching paint dry. But for you the owner, it is very important, take advantage of it and get your monies worth!!

shelly

Old 09-19-2008, 03:30 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,839,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

For the person upthread who asked how the inspector could get in the house if the agent isn't there - here, most licensed inspectors have their own lockbox key and code that allows them to get into the lockbox (which records who entered when) and are usually already in the house by the time I arrive (promptly, not late).
HOLY SMOKES!! Real Estate really is local, lol!! No inspector is a member of MLS here and DO NOT have lock box keys. No way, No how. And I don't see it anytime soon.

Now, the inspector usually gets there before me and starts their outside inspection... I show up at the "app't time" and we open up for the inside. and most times the sellers agent does show up for the final summary. But that is just customary here.

shelly

Old 09-19-2008, 03:40 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
here is what I tell my buyers: This is your inspection for your new home. It is absolutely your opportunity to learn about your home. Don't think of that inspector is looking for items to blow up a purchase or what you can gouge a seller for, look at is an opportunity to learn about your home, the things inside it, age of equipment, roof, etc... So, yes, bring your coveralls, bring your flashlight. And feel free to follow him/her anywhere. Find out where your filters are for cleaning and changing. Should you change or are they cleaning type? where is the water shut off? gas shut off? where is the electrical panel box? what shape are the gutters in? You will get a report, but for me seeing is learning!!!

Also, this is a great opportunity to get those measurements. Bring your measuring tape, and camera. Take pictures, plan furniture, check out applainces, etc. I will hold the other end of the measuring tape for you.
shelly
This reminds me of the inspection we had when we purchased our current farmhouse. My husband did, indeed, show up in overalls, and ended up crawling under the house with the inspector. He wanted to make sure he knew where everything was, because while we're not way out in the boonies, we're far enough out that he wanted to be able to deal with an emergency leak or whatever before things got enormously bad.

Plus, of course, it was fun to crawl around under the house with the inspector (must be a guy thing).

Old 09-19-2008, 06:23 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,734,836 times
Our inspectors are membors of our board, and therefore, have lockbox cards.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:25 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,180,467 times
MikiJayne...I'm curious, isn't that like a conflict of interest kind of thing??? Or are ALL inspectors used in real estate dealing in your state/area required to be members? How does a buyer know who to call? Do the agents have their 'favorites' or just take the next one on the list kind of thing?

Old 09-20-2008, 12:08 AM

37 posts, read 110,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duhrambull View Post
My realtor will get 20k out of this transaction, he better has some money in the bank now to cover the gas money
It will be a lot easier to communicate with the agent than with the inspector ( a total stranger in this long home buying process), that is why i am thinking to ask my agent to be with me during the home inspection.
I doubt your agent will personally be getting $20k, although I don't know the sale price of your home -remember there are usually 2 agnets to pay (buyer's and seller's) and the broker will take a cut.

Really, you should be using an inspector who you trust because your Realtor recommended him/her, and you want the inspector to discuss the issues with you directly. If your Realtor is any good s/he'll also be getting a copy of the inspection and discussing any weird issues with your inspector anyway.

I don't think your Realtor will mind being there for the 4 hours of your inspection, but I honestly think it's a complete waste of her time, and it won't be of much help to you anyway. Let the inspector do their job and liaise with your agent afterwards.

Al

Old 09-20-2008, 05:50 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikiJayne View Post
Our inspectors are membors of our board, and therefore, have lockbox cards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
MikiJayne...I'm curious, isn't that like a conflict of interest kind of thing??? Or are ALL inspectors used in real estate dealing in your state/area required to be members? How does a buyer know who to call? Do the agents have their 'favorites' or just take the next one on the list kind of thing?
Clients are always free to choose their own service providers.
I make recommendations if they want me to, and most do want recommendations.
The inspector I usually recommend is a Realtor and MLS member.
The Termite guy I usually recommend is a Realtor and MLS member.
Neither actively practices real estate brokerage.

I find it a convenience, never considering it as a conflict.
If something comes up and I am late or cannot go (and I go to all inspections), they can access the property and perform the function.
All I have to do is give either the MLS number and they can pull the address and see the details.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:28 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,287,634 times
Default From an Inspector

I joined the Board of Realtors so I could get a Supra Key. However, I found out that what I really had (even though I paid the same amount as a Realtor) was the "step-child's key". While I did have a key, I had to get the CBS (Call Before Showing" code form the listing agent. This turned out to be one of the biggest jokes you could imagine.

1. Most of the LA's did not know what a CBS code was.
2. If they did know, most of the time it was the wrong code.
3. A lot of lock boxes were not "registered" properly, so the box that the Realtor thought they had on the house, really belonged to another Realtor and was "listed" as being on another property.

After 9 frustrating months, I was able to get into a house 3 times. I gave it back.

IN the Knoxville area, there has been a recent movement and policy by almost all Brokers, that there agents come and open the house, then leave. They do not want their agents at the inspection.

As an inspector, I don't really care who is there. I really want my clients to be there, so they can SEE and HEAR what I am finding. It's a good thing if their agent is there to also hear, but it is not that big of a deal if they are not. many times, my clients can't be there either. It's really OK, since my reports stand on their own.

I don't print my reports at all, they are posted to a web site or e-mailed as a PDF file. I usually upload them while I am at the house. They can see the report on my laptop before I upload it. I am always available by phone to clarify any things they don't fully understand.

Since I am obligated to provide a confidential report to my client, it is sometimes awkward when the listing agent or home owner is there. While it may be in the contract that they will get a copy of the report at some point, they really don't have a right to be part of the exchange between the inspector and client.

I ALWAYS ask my client if they want me to discuss things in front of others, or if they want to give access (password) to the report to someone other than THEIR agent. This isn't just me, it's part of the home inspection law.

When asked, most of my clients indicate that they would like to have a chance to read the report before it goes out to someone else.

While I prefer the buyer's agent attend the inspection, I have found that since the policy took effect, it really hasn't made much of an impact as far as the questions go. IN only a few cases has my client expressed concern their agent was NOT there during the inspection.

Some agents ignore their Brokers rule and attend anyway. They explain it as they feel they are doing a better job for their client by being there.

I really only care about getting into the house, AND doing the best job I can for my clients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate