Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 07:39 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,584 times

Advertisements

My feeling is that if a issue materially effects the value of the property then the issue should be disclosed. I prefer to be on the safe side and disclose any known issues.

One thing I've learned is that the neighbor always knows what was known and not disclosed or covered up.

As far as asbestos flooring is concerned, I don't think the average person knows that asbestos was a component of vinyl and asphalt tile. I also think that the average person will inflate the potential of harm or costs associated with vinyl asbestos tile, once it is discovered.

By not disclosing the existence of the asbestos tile, the prior owner has exposed themselves to possible civil litigation. Since you now know that the asbestos exists (your neighbor knows you know) you will need to disclose that the asbestos tile exists or face the same risk.

Would you have purchase the property had you known that the asbestos existed?

Would you have offered less on the property had you known that the asbestos existed?

What if you did research and learned that if the tile was not disturbed, that the asbestos presented almost no health risk? That removal and disposal costs would be only slightly higher than removal and disposal of non-asbestos tiles. Would the answers to the above questions change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 09:29 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,920,506 times
There is no risk to you from asbestos tile UNLESS you are physically ripping it off the floor, or unless it's degraded so much that it is breaking apart when you walk on it. If it's intact, you're just being paranoid. If it's in decent condition, cover it with new flooring and forget about it, it's no big deal.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:50 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,754,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
Doesn't every house built 50 years ago have absestos in it? Along with lead paint?
Keep looking. You'll probably find absestos elsewhere in the home. Here is the EPA list of places to look.

Some roofing and siding shingles are made of asbestos cement.

Houses built between 1930 and 1950 may have asbestos as insulation.

Asbestos may be present in textured paint and in patching compounds used on wall and ceiling joints. Their use was banned in 1977.

Artificial ashes and embers sold for use in gas-fired fireplaces may contain asbestos.

Older products such as stove-top pads may have some asbestos compounds.

Walls and floors around woodburning stoves may be protected with asbestos paper, millboard, or cement sheets.

Asbestos is found in some vinyl floor tiles and the backing on vinyl sheet flooring and adhesives.

Hot water and steam pipes in older houses may be coated with an asbestos material or covered with an asbestos blanket or tape.

Oil and coal furnaces and door gaskets may have asbestos insulation.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:37 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,617 times
I'm a bit confused. If there was no disclosure why would anyone disclose? And if they didn't and you found something you didn't like, why would you try to make an issue of it? Unless, of course, you are using this to get money out of the sellers who may or may not have known the tiles contained asbestos. All you have is heresay from a neighbor who may have had problems with the old sellers and would like to see them get in trouble.

My house is 70 years old, asbestos siding, lead paint under years of other paint on the walls that the sellers knew nothing about. I wouldn't get all righteous because the previous sellers failed to say something. They probably didn't know either nor did the owners before them.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:19 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,754,979 times
You can be a jerk and sue the previous owner.

Or you could do the right thing and chalk it up to experience. You said it was an estate sale, so you'd be suing the estate of a dead man (or woman). You'll cause a lot of heartache and difficulty for the family - do it if you want to get mean and nasty - but recognize that's not playing nice.

Honestly, I think it's pretty obvious to me that every house that is 50 years old has a high likelyhood of lead paint and absestos somewhere in the house. I don't need a seller to tell me that.

Remember, someday you'll be a seller too.

Last edited by bigtrees; 09-19-2008 at 11:55 AM..

Old 09-19-2008, 11:24 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,128 times
well do whatever you think you need to do...but now that you have 'disturbed' the integrity of the tile, you should proceed with caution and have an asbestos removal co. finish the removal.IMO

Old 09-19-2008, 11:46 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
Siding and tiling are very different in my opinion. One is outside the house and the other is inside. That poses different risks, doesn't it?
Asbestos is NOT a hazard unless it is disturbed and the fibers escape into the environment. Covering floor tile with carpet is a totally acceptable way of preventing any fibers from getting into the environment.

Also asbestos fiber is a pretty small percentage of the entire tile. The approved method of removal is to wear a HEPA mask and spray the tile with water as it's removed and double bagged for transport to an approved site. The asbestos fiber spray on ceiling product is much more difficult to remove because it is far more friable and that darn gravity makes it more likely to become suspended in the air.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:53 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
When we bought our house in NJ, the inspector found asbestos. We required the sellers to take care of it, which they did. Ten years later, we sold the house, the inspector found more asbestos, which we had no idea was there.

You never know...

Old 09-19-2008, 03:04 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Asbestos is NOT a hazard unless it is disturbed and the fibers escape into the environment. Covering floor tile with carpet is a totally acceptable way of preventing any fibers from getting into the environment.
It is called encapsulation and is one of 2 ways to deal with asbestos floor tiles.

Old 09-19-2008, 03:36 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,169 times
bls555: you can litigate, which is what you may be leading to. Anyone can sue for any reason. Now can anyone win? can you win? Hard saying not knowing. And then if you do win, what is recoverable? the cost of removal? I'm not sure it makes sense to go further with this, but I may be wrong....

shelly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate