Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 05:44 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,339,013 times

Advertisements

I am debating between two houses. One is 1400 sq feet and one is 1800 sq feet. A significant difference. The average home in San Antonio is probably around 1800 square feet. Both are priced at $146. The larger house has more upgrades, various. About 5K in more upgrades. The SMALLER house is in a better neighborhood. They are only about 2 miles apart. One is in a very prestigious part of town, the other is near that part of town, on the outskirts, the coat tails if you will. The houses in the smaller house's neighborhood are ALL three sides brick. The larger house is three sides brick but most houses in the large house's neighborhood are siding. The small house has an HOA with pool, basketball court, community center, park. The large house has an HOA, but only has a park. The small house's neighborhood is warm, kids playing, landscaping, joggers. The large house's neighborhood is cold, not landscaped, cookie cutter.
The home prices in the small house's neighborhood ranges from $146-$350K, with $500K houses nearby. The large house's neighborhood's home range from $105-$165.

I know, Location, Location, Location... but I'm scared to by a house at 1400 Square feet. It meets my needs, but I'm afraid I'll never sell it because it is too small.

Any advice?

Last edited by dmarie123; 02-24-2008 at 07:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 06:12 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,517,013 times
It sounds like both may be a good deal. If the smaller one has a pool, landscaping, HOA and other things, I, personally would pick it. The other may be larger but, the smaller will retain its value better because with a HOA (IMHO). Also, w/a HOA, you dont need to worry about the neighbors junking up the place. Its curb appeal will retain value. Which house and neighborhood do you feel is safer and will remain safer? 10 years from now, will the neighborhood with the larger house be run down and unsafe? Just because the both houses are the same price and one is larger than the other doesnt mean you should go w/the larger of the two. That small one looks like it has several little perks, some that will increase the property value and appeal! Luck

Old 02-24-2008, 06:53 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,339,013 times
Well, thank you. Both are in an HOA. I forgot to mention that. One however, only maintains a park... leaving the fees at $12 a month. I have to do more research, I know the other will be more. They are both brand new nieghborhoods- I wish I could gage the "run down factor". I am not worried about the small house's neighborhood running down. It's in a very prestigious area... $146 is actually above our average home price, believe it or not.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:03 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,517,013 times
Id say either house is a fair buy. I just prefer the one in the nicer neighborhood. Sometimes that makes the cake! You gotta live by the people, ya might as well pick the clean ones!

Old 02-24-2008, 09:48 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,685,122 times
I'd prefer the one in the nicer area as well. Owners in those neighborhoods would do what they can to continue increasing the desirability of that area, so my guess is that it would enjoy better appreciation than the other.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:16 PM

15,586 posts, read 40,472,737 times
Is their room on do an addition on the smaller home? If homes around the 1400 sq foot home are much larger and the floor plan and lot could support an addition, maybe adding on might make sense to get the better neighborhood? Your local agent would have to help you with that one.

Most people go for neighborhood.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:27 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,991,758 times
I'd go for the nicer neighborhood.Would you be able to finish the basement for extra room? Oh,do you have basements in TX?

Old 02-25-2008, 07:08 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,026,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I am debating between two houses. One is 1400 sq feet and one is 1800 sq feet. A significant difference. The average home in San Antonio is probably around 1800 square feet. Both are priced at $146. The larger house has more upgrades, various. About 5K in more upgrades. The SMALLER house is in a better neighborhood. They are only about 2 miles apart. One is in a very prestigious part of town, the other is near that part of town, on the outskirts, the coat tails if you will. The houses in the smaller house's neighborhood are ALL three sides brick. The larger house is three sides brick but most houses in the large house's neighborhood are siding. The small house has an HOA with pool, basketball court, community center, park. The large house has an HOA, but only has a park. The small house's neighborhood is warm, kids playing, landscaping, joggers. The large house's neighborhood is cold, not landscaped, cookie cutter.
The home prices in the small house's neighborhood ranges from $146-$350K, with $500K houses nearby. The large house's neighborhood's home range from $105-$165.

I know, Location, Location, Location... but I'm scared to by a house at 1400 Square feet. It meets my needs, but I'm afraid I'll never sell it because it is too small.

Any advice?
Personally I would go for the smaller house in the better location. Is there room to add on, maybe enclose a deck (if there's a deck).

Old 02-25-2008, 11:05 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,788,051 times
The criteria today has changed from Location Location Location to Location Condition Price.

From what you have stated, I would choose the smaller house in the better location because the home is 3 sides brick, and the HOA has more amenities in a more friendly atmosphere.

If I were to see the area and the properties, I may make a different decision. It's difficult when we're not familiar with the area.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:06 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,797,346 times
I too am in the smaller house camp.

Given it's an HOA, it should be fairly easy to compare/contrast between comparabble home models and closed price per square footage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate