Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2008, 08:38 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,124 times

Advertisements

My thoughts- If the agent in "passing" says they are gonna reduce 5K then they are getting anxious to sell and I would offer less still. The builder is paying alot of interest on the construction loan and insurance every month that it sits. Your husband is correct on the garage opener, they are cheap but let the builder put it in so it is covered under the new home warrenty.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:40 AM

959 posts, read 1,824,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raising3boys View Post
Well, obviously we passed the inspection. ( ROFL) We never heard anything and now it is PAST the deadline.

We did get a copy of the 30-35 page contract. I couldn't believe everything that had to be signed. It does state that the buyer will be actually buying from Cartus not us. We are just waiting from their bank with SOLID approval. They were suppose to fax to our agent a preapproval letter. Soon as we get that, we can go ahead and book the moving truck and Cartus will send us our money!

We went and looked at houses yesterday. Today,we are going to go for preapproval and I "think" we are putting in an offer on a new one.

Does anyone have any insight/tips/suggestions/ etc on putting in an offer on a new home? It is already built. It has been on the market three months. Our agent said that she called the other agent and they said they were going to lower the price by $5,000. We don't want to lowball, because I know they wont accept,but we do want it to come down lower. There are 4 new homes for sale in the subdivision and one that is a year old. They are all in the same price range. The builder's home that we want actually has 2 sitting for sale. My husband wants to go for 10% off list price. Our agent is telling us the builders don't come off their prices,but... I just don't know what to do. We can't actually ask for upgrades because the house is complete. ( We read on the net that sometimes, they will finish a basement, or put in a fence,etc. to get the full asking price instead.)
Not that it matters, but the house is listed right now at 279,900. We do not need for them to pay closing costs because we get ALL of our closing costs and fees reimbursed so that really isn't needed.

What would you do?
In this day, ALL builders are negotiable on their prices. Around here, they are taking lots of money off homes and also giving incentives like 3 season porches and decks. So I would offer what you think it is worth. Your agent kind of sounds like she just wants you to pay a higher price so that her commission is higher. I have not seen a builder in a year that is not willing to bargain on the houses that are already built. They need to unload them.

Kristine

Old 10-03-2008, 08:47 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,128 times
Morning troops...had a good night's rest and hope each of you did too!
Yes raising, got the pattern I needed and if I can get a few other things done first, will be sewing some doll clothes.I hope the pattern I chose is easy stuff...some had way too many ruffles, to be sewing in minature

And raising...offer what you guys think is fair on the house. Your agent should present regardless of what she *thinks*, they have been known to be wrongThey might take it, they might counter. If you have to keep creeping up on the price, then start throwing more extras on there, IMO. Also, if you do on offer, make it contigent on your Cartus deal finalizing, JUST to play it absolutely safe. Waiting on that check makes ya bonkers..but as soon as you have it you know the house is theirs and they deal with the buyer on out.

I hope everyone will be getting some activity this weekend. There are still people buying that want to be settled by the holidays...so don't give up hope. Life goes on in spite of Wall street well, at least for normal people LOL

Old 10-03-2008, 09:22 AM

124 posts, read 470,500 times
Good Morning Crazyma!

Congrats on the inspection and the new house hunting, Raising3.

We are now officially under contract. I wish I was more excited about it, but between the low offer we accepted and the horror stories of things falling apart during the inspection/escrow phase I'm as nervous as ever.

I am so going to Disneyland when we finally close.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:39 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,128 times
Good morning hobgoblin, congrats on your contract. Just remember to BREATHE! Take it one day at time and don't needlessly stress yourself I know I know...easier said than done!!
Obviously they want your house, and hopefully they won't get all bent out of shape over minor stuff that could show up on an inspection. You know inspectors...they will usually find little nit picky stuff, especially in the absence of any blaringly obvious issues

So we'll send you some extra dust and mojo to git'er done!

(now is this house you are selling in Cal? and where are you going?? can't remember if you mentioned it

Old 10-03-2008, 10:20 AM

2,766 posts, read 5,520,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
Lorrie where's that valium when you need it !! I think I could use some Not only do I have issues with me teeth, now the Doc is talking cataract surgery,not immediately but looming...he feels it is a faster growing kind...right smack dab in the middle no less, on my good eye, and now my left amblyopia eye has the beginnings of one. I'm not even 50 yet and already going to pot WHoo HOOO. Dentist has referred me to a ENT doc that also deals with nutrition/diet,allergies, toxins, bacterias etc. to maybe figure out why after 46 yrs of no peridontal activity, maybe something else is going on. Plus I am leery of implants, having known quite a few people that have had issues with that and hip/knee replacements.......Hey he is on my insurnce, so why not??

sorry I got sidetracked...it was just a bummer day

Painter like Sykes said , who knows they may be your buyer! We FSBO'ed sold a house once that wasn't even for sale, and was not show ready and got a full price offer within 30 mins of them leaving
Ya never know what is in the head of buyers these days, swiss cheese, cottage or blue LOL

Y'all keep it real troops, crazyma needs to go chill and BREATHE
If I had some crazyma I would E mail you it.LOL The cataract thing is no big deal and I fought having it done for 7 years. The baby cataract grew to an almost leaglly blind eye and the other was not far behind and they started in my early 50's and I used glasses(bifocales) to get by until I even said get it done. It is an in and out procedure that I went in for the 1st eye at 8am and was home by 11am. No pain and I had the 2nd eye done 3 weeks after the 1st eye. So simple and I wish I had it done years ago and no more glasses only drugstore readers.
Feel better crazyma . BTW I agree with you on the inplants.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:21 AM

124 posts, read 470,500 times
Our house is in Maryland. We moved to California (yay!) already.

When we decided to try and move to California things went a lot faster than anticipated. We figured it would take months and months for my husband to find work out there, considering we were in MD at the time and you always hear how difficult it is to even get an interview when you're on the other side of the country.

It took like a month to get a phone interview, another week for them to fly him in and within days he had an offer. We were so not prepared to move, but we could hardly not go forward either. So he took the job, and went to live with family who were already in the area and I stayed behind with the kids to let them finish up the school year and get the house ready to sell (paint, get some repairs done, etc)

It was a complicated situation because my daughter who had been living with her father moved in with us at the same time. I couldn't pull her out of school for the second time in one year to make the move earlier. I wish we'd put the house on the market earlier and take a chance though. I didn't realize how bad things were going to get at the time.

Anyhow, by mid-summer we'd had enough of living apart and I wanted the kids to start school in California. My daughter is a senior in high school and my son was starting kindergarten, two very important years that I don't think should be interrupted by a move if you can help it.

So anyhow, we moved out here in August and have been living a very frugal life to pay for rent on this side and a mortgage on the other. It's been worth it though. I keep telling myself that just selling the house no matter how little we get for it will be worth it as well.

My husband loves his new job, we love the weather here, we love being near family again, the kids are happy in their new schools. Except for the part where we can't buy anything but necessities (and our definition of necessity has certainly changed) it's all going along great.

So that's my story in a nutshell-- a slightly large nutshell.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:27 AM

2,766 posts, read 5,520,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
Our house is in Maryland. We moved to California (yay!) already.

When we decided to try and move to California things went a lot faster than anticipated. We figured it would take months and months for my husband to find work out there, considering we were in MD at the time and you always hear how difficult it is to even get an interview when you're on the other side of the country.

It took like a month to get a phone interview, another week for them to fly him in and within days he had an offer. We were so not prepared to move, but we could hardly not go forward either. So he took the job, and went to live with family who were already in the area and I stayed behind with the kids to let them finish up the school year and get the house ready to sell (paint, get some repairs done, etc)

It was a complicated situation because my daughter who had been living with her father moved in with us at the same time. I couldn't pull her out of school for the second time in one year to make the move earlier. I wish we'd put the house on the market earlier and take a chance though. I didn't realize how bad things were going to get at the time.

Anyhow, by mid-summer we'd had enough of living apart and I wanted the kids to start school in California. My daughter is a senior in high school and my son was starting kindergarten, two very important years that I don't think should be interrupted by a move if you can help it.

So anyhow, we moved out here in August and have been living a very frugal life to pay for rent on this side and a mortgage on the other. It's been worth it though. I keep telling myself that just selling the house no matter how little we get for it will be worth it as well.

My husband loves his new job, we love the weather here, we love being near family again, the kids are happy in their new schools. Except for the part where we can't buy anything but necessities (and our definition of necessity has certainly changed) it's all going along great.

So that's my story in a nutshell-- a slightly large nutshell.

You made the right move. If I could turn back time we would never have moved from Ca in 2004. Ca is Gods country and our home for over 25 years.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:37 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,124 times
NEWS FLASH Probably abit premature but...the little house lookers are at the bank and will look at it again in the a.m., very young couple and not putting alot of hope in getting a contract but you never know. Now for my personal place, the "big" house has someone interested too. They are from out of state so no personal look yet but they are emailing back and forth with my agent and this morning came back a third time asking on utilities, insurance ect and said they are very very interested that they loved the virtual tour and pictures. I told my agent that if they have to fly in to look and made a contract that at closing I would reimburse them for two plane tickets. SO send in the dust!!! So sad but this is the best lead in months. So badly I want snow for Christmas!!!

Old 10-03-2008, 10:41 AM

959 posts, read 1,824,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
NEWS FLASH Probably abit premature but...the little house lookers are at the bank and will look at it again in the a.m., very young couple and not putting alot of hope in getting a contract but you never know. Now for my personal place, the "big" house has someone interested too. They are from out of state so no personal look yet but they are emailing back and forth with my agent and this morning came back a third time asking on utilities, insurance ect and said they are very very interested that they loved the virtual tour and pictures. I told my agent that if they have to fly in to look and made a contract that at closing I would reimburse them for two plane tickets. SO send in the dust!!! So sad but this is the best lead in months. So badly I want snow for Christmas!!!

YEAH!!!!!! I have everything crossed for you!!!

Kristine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate