Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:15 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

So is it time to buy a house? Has the market bottomed out?

Home values declined more than 16 percent from 2007 to 2008, according to the S&P Case-Shiller Home Price national index, which compared the third quarter of each year. And while that is upsetting news for homeowners, it could be very welcome news to those who were shut out of the American Dream because prices were too high.

ABC News: Time to Buy a House or Still Rent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 10:23 AM

15,579 posts, read 40,450,935 times
I imagine some areas are close to bottom, but I think most are still declining. A few are holding steady. I think what you do depends on where you are, and how many foreclosures are going to hit the market, etc.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:41 AM

106,708 posts, read 108,913,061 times
ILL get my crystal ball

Old 01-12-2009, 10:43 AM

316 posts, read 976,172 times
Like the above statement, I think it strongly depends on where you are and the local market. Here in Columbia, at the moment most in most cases it is cheaper to buy than it is to rent. There is no way to be certain how long this trend will continue. If you are planning on satying in your home long term and you are secure enough in your finances, then at least at the moment I would say now it's better to buy in Columbia depending on wjat you are looking for.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:50 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,467,131 times
Northern suburbs of Chicago here.

I'm holding out hope for a listing that can convince us to buy, but the spouse is now firmly in rent territory.

The housing bubble was one thing.

The economy is another thing entirely.

By my count, the housing bubble (albeit smaller than the "big" ones) still had some deflating to do. Factor in further normal deflation that would occur in a severe recession and you're now double dipping on downward price pressure.

When the housing bubble was the only thing we had to factor in, we had a sense of where the "bottom" might be based on historical trends. Now, with the economy going off a cliff, there's no way to tell where or when things will level out.

Then again, the government is tinkering. Then again, interest rates might start to rise. Then again, inflation might be a factor at some not-so-distant point.

Then again, maybe we'll just rent a nice house. There seem to be more and more of them available.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:16 PM

242 posts, read 735,601 times
i say rent. Do not drink the kool aid.
After every single recession, after a true bottom, home prices have ALWAYS stagnated for many years.

waiting means you lose nothing and incur no bad debt. Moving too early means you could be throwing money away.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:33 AM

24 posts, read 101,364 times
Very unlikely that the market has bottomed. If the question you're asking relates to buying real estate anywhere in California, Nevada, Arizona, Florida, Manhattan, the DC area, or any place where 2nd homes predominate, the answer is definitely NO.

Remember that relative to inflation, real estate is not a terrific investment historically. Also remember that all real estate is local. Someone who purchased 25 apartment buildings in Detroit in 1950 hasn't done real well on their investment since then. Someone who purchased 25 empty acres in Orange County at the same time has probably cleaned up.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:54 AM

106,708 posts, read 108,913,061 times
read the debate towards the end of the thread the real estate irony for some thoughts on this topic.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:11 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
I asked my crystal ball, and it responded that my monthly rent is cheaper than the monthly insurance & taxes on a starter home. It also said insurance rates were going up 30% in 2009, and local property taxes were going up too.

It went on to say that the rental market was flooded, and that was where the deals were to be found, helping someone pay off a 1998 mortgage, or a 2002 one, instead of exposing myself to the risk of the deflating bubble.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:45 AM

250 posts, read 683,617 times
In new Jersey prices are still overinflated. I have been watching the market for over a year. People have hardly come down in price at all. Others took their house off the market over the winter and came back listing only a few thousand less. Ha If our income has only grown 10% here and houses have gone up 135% there should be s much bigger decrease. Especially with all the financial jobs going around here. Some states have dropped 30% to 50%....I'll wait for prices to drop further and rent for a while unless I see a big price decrease, short sale or relocation and know I'm getting a good deal!
In NJ I say rent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate