Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 09:14 AM

840 posts, read 3,457,053 times

Advertisements

Rising interest rates and concerns over the direction of housing prices are prompting more potential home buyers to remain where they are while increasing the need for mini-storage units.

In addition to foreclosures, many are downsizing, moving to condos or smaller homes and placing some of their belongings in storage.

Home Sellers who want to get the advantage over other sellers by making the house clutter free and reflect the true market value of the house are packing things away to mini storage. When it comes to selling a house "less is more".

Some articles are reporting that it would it be cheaper to rent a mini storage for all the things we seem to collect instead of buying a bigger house, which will cost much more per month and usually require a loan with closing costs, moving costs, huge fees to realtors, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 10:30 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,161,515 times
IMO why not have a yard sale for all the collected crapola and donate some to charity, instead of buying a bigger house? If it is in storage , what good is it doing ya?
I packed up a ton of stuff this last time having a house on the market. After 6 months didn't miss one thing. It is amazing how much CAN be lived without....So have been going thru it all since we are staying and boy does it feel good to not have all that 'clutter' going back out. Except for a few personal mementos I am keeping. My new mantra is Less IS More Only in America do we tend to have more stuff,,,heaven only knows why.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:03 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,474,580 times
I'm with you Crazyma. Most of us have way too much stuff. There are also so many worthy causes with resale shops that would love the donations.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:12 AM

472 posts, read 1,705,170 times
Crazyma is so right! There's a cleaning and organizing guy named Don Aslett who has written a lot of books are this-- they are humorous and really useful. Tossing, selling, and giving away is the best way out.

The only thing that's really hard for me is inherited stuff. We are beginning to inherit stuff from relatives, and some of that is hard to give away, because it's sentimental. But it's not doing anyone any good is it's not being used.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:56 AM

Scone, tell me about the inheirted stuff! Except for very 'priceless' items (like handmade quilts going back 100 yrs) I have let things go. (like mementos from Europe) I like to think my mama would say...that's fine Sara, whatever you need to do we have enjoyed the stuff plenty...

Old 09-26-2008, 02:28 PM

15,503 posts, read 40,215,771 times
I am the anti-pack rat so it's hard for me to understand people who need more storage for stuff. My philosophy is, if I haven't used it in two years, then I really don't need it. Off to Goodwill it goes.

I just don't understand people who store things they don't need. Even if it was $60 a month, that's a nice massage, a dinner out with the kids...I'd rather have those things, then a place to store stuff I never use.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:40 PM

840 posts, read 3,457,053 times
I'm with you all the way....I am trying to clean out my junk but have a family member who has a BIG house and they need to downsize....but they can't let go of anything...they are just moving it around. They think they must have a bigger house than they could get by with...if only they would put it in storage I think a lightbulb will come on later realized they don't need that stuff that they are having to write a check for to store it each month....(They don't see the waste if they are making a house payment.)

But I don't know...they would probably go buy another storage building for the backyard!

Old 09-26-2008, 10:49 PM

40,920 posts, read 48,877,037 times
One word for all those people with way too much stuff: Craigs List

You can get pretty good prices when you are downsizing.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:19 PM

Oh Rakin.you aren't kidding. We Sold a lot of stuff on Craigs...awesome. While hubby was unemployed, that's how we got some mad money to eat out and a few little extras now & then so we didn't feel too deprived
some stuff we sold- sinks and vanity from remodel, the *bermuda* triangle corner shower, tools, lefetover HVAC inventory from hubby's contractor days, bike, yard tools & decor, outdoor furniture, wooden play fort, books, office items, dishes, silverware, toys & baby items...egads...I could go on and on!!
Great place to find stuff too! OOHH did I say that?!?

Old 09-26-2008, 11:19 PM

472 posts, read 1,705,170 times
Except for the little things that were practically a part of their bodies, like pictures, rings and watches. Sometimes you can still smell their characteristic scent on a handkerchief, or a book-- my Aunt Violet's lavender and rosewater... that's not so easy to throw out. The Bibles, with little church cards and place markers and notes, especially. But the younger generation, kids who never knew these people, why should they care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate