Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 04:23 PM

252 posts, read 769,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalyzeThis View Post
There is only so much price adjusting we can do before it negatively impacts our profitability.
Here's your problem. Do you understand that the eventual selling price will have nothing to do with the price you paid, or your profitability? As a buyer, i DON'T CARE whether or not you make a profit. A market just doesn't work that way. In thinking about your price, you need to forget about any relationship to profitability. That's irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 04:29 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
When making the point that an item is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay, one should always remember that it is also only worth what the seller is willing to sell it for. That goes both ways, folks.

As for "profitability" not mattering to you, as a buyer, no, it doesn't matter to you But it matters to the seller, and if they can't or won't sell at a loss to you, then you don't get to buy the house and have no right to expect them to do so, and it's not them being unrealistic, it simply is a fact of life and the marketplace.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:33 PM

252 posts, read 769,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
When making the point that an item is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay, one should always remember that it is also only worth what the seller is willing to sell it for. That goes both ways, folks.

As for "profitability" not mattering to you, as a buyer, no, it doesn't matter to you But it matters to the seller, and if they can't or won't sell at a loss to you, then you don't get to buy the house and have no right to expect them to do so, and it's not them being unrealistic, it simply is a fact of life and the marketplace.
Hey, the OP started by compaining about buyers not wanting/willing to buy his house. Of course, he has the right to set whatever price he wants. If he thinks that buyers are at fault because they won't pay that price, then HE'S the one who needs to rethink things.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:40 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Actually, I think he started out complaining about useless feedback.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:42 PM

14 posts, read 28,153 times
Lots of "tire kickers" out there right now and very few buyers. Also, be prepared for a very low offer from a potential buyer. Don't be frustrated or offended by it though...simply counter offer and try to get the potential Buyer to negotiate.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:52 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,603,566 times
Quote:
No I would like constructive feedback. Something I can actually make decisions or take action on. If the feedback is, the house is great but just not big enough, etc. Then I get it. That means it has nothing to do with something I need to do or did not do but has to do with the buyers personal preference.
If you had a home inspection and corrected any defects noted, then buyers comments would be limited to cosmetics which are negotiable. Just a thought. . .

Old 09-27-2008, 05:14 PM

754 posts, read 1,739,586 times
Ok first I am all woman, not a 'he'...lol Second TexasHorseLady hit it right on the head. I was NOT complaining about what a buyer is willing or is not willing to pay for my home. Selling any thing whether it is a car, home, or piece of jewelry requires a MUTUAL agreement. Please feel free to continue thinking any seller ONLY cares about what YOU are willing to pay for a property, you will be sadly disappointed. Too many people talk about irrational sellers, but clearly there are many irrational buyers. If you plan on making an offer on any property you better understand the market yourself and compare comps of properties that have closed NOT what you think you SHOULD be paying for the house without facts. That is a problem.

As galivant said what is frustrating to sellers are the "tire kickers". Why? Because it serves absolutely no purpose to me as a seller. My realtor is against open houses for this reason. What do I care that 20 looksies come through my house in 2 hours when not one of them is looking for a home? Give me one solid buyer any day.

So again, we ALL need to come back to reality. It may be a so-called "buyers market" but without the seller there will be no buyer because you would have nothing to buy. I am perfectly content with the pricing of my home. I think in this market at my price point 4 showings in 3-weeks is good. That means I am getting people through the door. As I stated ORIGINALLY what becomes frustrating is when buyers who clearly are not all that serious to begin with have nothing useful to say about your home. Hey if their complaint is the price is too high, I want to hear it! Think my yard needs work? Let me know! That is all I am saying. I'm doing ranting again.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
If you had a home inspection and corrected any defects noted, then buyers comments would be limited to cosmetics which are negotiable. Just a thought. . .
Hey, guess where I lived before living here in VA? Tampa! I miss being close to Clearwater beach. I appreciate your suggestion, my home is only four years old and still under an extended warranty. All of the buyer's agents said that the buyers were generally pleased with the house & how it shows but then of course you know the rest about the specific feedback from the buyers. So I am just watching, listening, and waiting

Old 09-27-2008, 05:20 PM

959 posts, read 1,824,585 times
Quote:
Ok first I am all woman, not a 'he'...lol Second TexasHorseLady hit it right on the head. I was NOT complaining about what a buyer is willing or is not willing to pay for my home. Selling any thing whether it is a car, home, or piece of jewelry requires a MUTUAL agreement. Please feel free to continue thinking any seller ONLY cares about what YOU are willing to pay for a property, you will be sadly disappointed. Too many people talk about irrational sellers, but clearly there are many irrational buyers. If you plan on making an offer on any property you better understand the market yourself and compare comps of properties that have closed NOT what you think you SHOULD be paying for the house without facts. That is a problem.

As galivant said what is frustrating to sellers are the "tire kickers". Why? Because it serves absolutely no purpose to me as a seller. My realtor is against open houses for this reason. What do I care that 20 looksies come through my house in 2 hours when not one of them is looking for a home? Give me one solid buyer any day.

So again, we ALL need to come back to reality. It may be a so-called "buyers market" but without the seller there will be no buyer because you would have nothing to buy. I am perfectly content with the pricing of my home. I think in this market at my price point 4 showings in 3-weeks is good. That means I am getting people through the door. As I stated ORIGINALLY what becomes frustrating is when buyers who clearly are not all that serious to begin with have nothing useful to say about your home. Hey if their complaint is the price is too high, I want to hear it! Think my yard needs work? Let me know! That is all I am saying. I'm doing ranting again.

Dont waste your energy or breath on people here who think that because you don't want to give your home away, your irrational. It will just frustrate you.

Sellers out there can understand what you are saying and going though. We are all in the same boat right now and it really sucks. But try and keep your chin up and know that there is a buyer out there for you.

As for the "tire kickers" they make me so mad! Don't make an appointment to see my home if you cannot afford to buy it. Espeically during the day when I have to take time off work to come home and get my dogs!!!!! I wish that people would just have some respect. Sadly, a lot of buyers out there have no respect for sellers.

Kristine

Old 09-27-2008, 05:24 PM

Kristine I am so with you. I have two dogs and they really do not like being in their crates. It breaks my heart to leave them there all day while we are at work for someone who really isn't even interested in purchasing to begin with. So I am definitely with you on that. Goodluck, as my mom always says "this too shall pass".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate