Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 08:34 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,731,744 times

Advertisements

To chime into the corner lot discussion-
I am not sure how common this is, but in Michigan, you have to pay double property taxes on a corner lot. You have two street fronts.

Outside turnoffs:
Lack of shutters (I know it is a cheap and easy thing, but it looks so awful I have a hard time getting past it, LOL) (Oh, nice trim instead of shutters is OK)
Neighborhood
Too close to the street
Roof stains (again- fairly easy but I have a hard time looking past it!)

Inside turnoffs:
Neon paint (I swear every house I have looked at has to glow in the dark! Neon may be exaggerating in a few cases [like the bright sky blue house], but unfortunately I did see a house with bright yellow, orange and lime green paint )
Popcorn ceiling
Dirt (I have OCD)
Small bedrooms
Cigarette smoke
creative engineering (i.e.- someone ran cable around the OUTSIDE of the house, through the siding and wall for one particular room. Tacky!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 08:54 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,712,215 times
Filthy grout

Cracked / chipped tile flooring

Flooring listed as "hard wood" and it turns out to be that junky laminate
Fireplaces in weird places

Any overpriced home is a turnoff, especially when you go into the home and see all the updating that has to be done! Excuse me, you haven't done a thing to your home since it was built in 1977 and you want HOW MUCH??? DREAM ON!!!

Inground swimming pools installed in weird places (right off the sliders and the sitting patio area is around the corner of the house, yes, we saw a home like this) or too close to the house

Kitchens in the center of a home with no natural lighting

Fireplaces that end up being electric

Old 10-03-2008, 06:17 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
It's funny reading the differences AND the similarities!

1. A pool-- don't want to deal with the insurance and dangers
2. Dirty on the inside, not clean for showing
3. Small kitchen

I can overlook paint, carpet, etc, that is easy to replace. If the house has good bones, that is all I need!

Old 10-03-2008, 11:53 AM

124 posts, read 470,500 times
A lot of things that I don't like aren't necessarily deal breakers if the rest of the house has enough pluses to make up for it, and/or is priced agressively enough to make it for it. But here are the top negatives for me...

Outside:

Property backs on or is too near a busy street, train tracks or commercial property. I won't even look at a house that's actually on a busy street. That is probably my only true deal killer.
Poor house placement on property. I hate big front yards, especially at the expense of backyard space. Also, if the houses are too close together.
Corner lots
A backyard that doesn't get plenty of sun. I like growing flowers and keeping a small vegetable plot.
Ditto for a backyard with no place to put a garden.
Too many cars parked on the street.
Nearby homes/yards that are not kept up.
Overhead power lines
Barking dogs and other sources of excessive noise
Lack of mature trees in the immediate neighborhood
No sidewalks
Not walking distance to the elementary school, and to some degree Middle and High schools as well (my boy just started kindergarten, there would be a lot of driving in my future since our area doesn't have bus service)
An apartment complex nearby
Poor landscaping-- including badly placed pools/trees, overgrown yards (I'm talking years of neglect) ugly fencing, etc.
Sloped yards, especially when it slopes toward your house and/or half your backyard is too steep to be usable.
No front porch, or equivalent COVERED area. I don't want to stand in the weather when I'm unlocking the door to get in.

Inside:

No natural light in the kitchen. I want a window in there, and I prefer that window to look out on the backyard so I can keep one eye on the kids and the other on my chores.
No sliding doors into the backyard.
A floorplan that doesn't flow well for our lifestyle
A kitchen that is either to small or too big. I want enough room for my stuff, but not so much that I have to walk a mile each day to get dinner on the table. I cook all the time and like an efficient work triangle. I'm extremely picky about kitchens I'd rather have one that needs to be gutted than one that's new but not to my specifications, and they never are.
Not enough closet space
No extra storage area-- whether its a shed, extra space in the garage or an attic.
Large entry areas or any other wasted space like a long and wide hallway.
Cigarette or pet odors.
Ugly wallpaper
Tiled counters
Pedestal sinks in the bathrooms. I need counterspace in there too!
Any strangely small room.
Nasty bathrooms, they give me the willies. Usually cosmetic and cleanliness issues don't bug me, I can see potential, but not in a bathroom. I'm just grossed out.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:21 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,483,682 times
Mainly the smell or odor that animals have used it for a bathroom. I would say cat urine. You can't get that smell out. Dirty toilets are also a big turn off to me

Old 10-15-2008, 03:27 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times
It's all about location for us. The house is almost irrelevant to my DH and myself, although if given the option, we'd prefer not to have a split level or high ranch.

*Neighborhood homes & properties must be in good shape/cared for ( homeowners primarily park in driveway/garage)
*property...minimum of an acre
*little to no traffic (no double lines, unless we're on 10+ acres)
*no sidewalks
*no corner lots (unless we're on multiple acres)
*mature trees and plenty of them! (I hate when builders level trees to build new homes or build homes on farmland. It looks like a home was dropped during a tornado in the Wizard of Oz.)
*School District is important, unless the students in the area attend private schools
*no large power lines
*no highways near by

Old 10-15-2008, 03:31 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,471,504 times
Dirt. Don't like dirty living. To which my realtor responded "oh, for God's sake". I like my realtor. She's pretty funny.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:38 PM

520 posts, read 3,920,559 times
Here is another one for you guys... What about a house located at a "T" instersection?

By this I mean you are driving down the street and come to a T.
You can either turn right, turn left, or drive forward to your house.
Does this make sense?

Old 10-15-2008, 05:33 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
Here is another one for you guys... What about a house located at a "T" instersection?

By this I mean you are driving down the street and come to a T.
You can either turn right, turn left, or drive forward to your house.
Does this make sense?

For me, it would depend on the amount of traffic in the area, the size of the properties and amount of surrounding homes.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:43 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Dirt. Don't like dirty living. To which my realtor responded "oh, for God's sake". I like my realtor. She's pretty funny.
I like her response, too. Sounds like she has perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate