Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 08:03 PM

520 posts, read 3,920,748 times

Advertisements

What are some of the things that turn you away about a house before you even enter and see the inside?

For me it would be the location of the house. I don't mean so much neighborhood but where on the block the house is located.
I don't care how nice the house is, if it is a corner lot I cross it off my list.

A train track in your backyard... gone.

I'm torn on having a highway pretty close to your home. We went to go see a house that backs up to the highway... about 1500ft away maybe? There is a sound wall up and the house backs to ramp leading to the highway. We couldn't hear any traffic but then again it was a Saturday afternoon.

What about others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 08:11 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,491 times
High tension/power lines

Too many kids playing in the neighborhood

Barking dogs

not enough electrical outlets

old wiring

too close to a school

those are starters....

Old 10-02-2008, 04:42 AM

183 posts, read 686,464 times
corner lot

home is on a street that enters the subdivision (the street is busy)

Back to a road, of ANY kind. We had the worst time selling our last house because it backed to a road. We will NEVER do that again.

Train nearby

Barking dogs

Unkempt lawns

house smells like animals

Last edited by springbean; 10-02-2008 at 04:55 AM..

Old 10-02-2008, 05:00 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
Out dated kitchens and bath!
Piles of Laundry lying on top of the washing machine
I actually like corner lots... you typically get more property
Sloppy neighbors! Multiple broken down cars in the driveway.. piles of debris... real turnoff!

Old 10-02-2008, 06:13 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
As one who has owned several homes in different states and is now in the home buying mode again, the things that turn me off when buying a single family home in a residential area include, in order of importance:

1. High property taxes keep me from even looking in a county.
2. High price per square foot based on comparables keep me from looking at a house.
3. Apartments, duplexes, government or multi-family units close by.
4. An area of an interstate or other areas where vehicle noise can be easily heard.
5. A bad roof.
6. A postage stamp-sized lot
7. A neighborhood with 15 to 20 year old cars parked on the streets.
8. A neighbor with an auto engine hoist sitting on the front driveway.
9. Outdated kitchen and baths.
10. No rear patio.
11. Purple, mauve, pink or other personal colors in rooms.
12. Carpet throughout. (Shag sends me running.)

Old 10-02-2008, 06:51 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,984,353 times
All of the outside deterents could have been checked out even before a showing. If I see a house I am interested in, I map it out...satellite it if possible. I check to see where it is on the street, if it's by tracks or highways, where it backs to, etc. If those means of investigation are not available or do not reveal what I need, I drive by, before I ask a realtor to show it to me. That rules out 50% of the things that might turn me off. Then I read the listing quite carefully and ask questions to see if it matches my "must haves" list. For example, I must have a basement. If it doesn't have one, I'm not looking at it.

Now, if a house were to meet all of my needs after the above has been exhausted and I actually went to see the house, the things that would be a turnoff are dirty bathrooms, anything that smells, and animals in the house.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:42 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Quote:
Back to a road, of ANY kind. We had the worst time selling our last house because it backed to a road. We will NEVER do that again.
The way people around here drive (and drive through fences and walls), I felt the same way and ruled out several candidates that backed up to a road.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:15 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
The way people around here drive (and drive through fences and walls), I felt the same way and ruled out several candidates that backed up to a road.
And here I thought NJ has the worst drivers

Old 10-02-2008, 08:15 AM

27 posts, read 56,618 times
Back in to any road is not a big deal to me personally because I used to live in center of a big city growing up, however, the resell value of a house that backs up to a road is horrible. 4/5 people won't even come look at it.

Neighbors - If I see a bunch of trucks and trailers around the neighborhood or people that just sit around the yard and stare, it's probably not a good sign.

Any sign of old exterior is a turn-off - old roof shingles etc...

Loud dogs

Lots of for sale signs

High Crime Rates

Far from grocery stores, hospitals

Dead trees, trees really near the house (may affect the foundation later on) or trees that blocks the views

I can deal with ugly paint color, outdated things around the house etc., because I like to renovate anyways.

But at the right price, any problems will become no problem

Old 10-02-2008, 09:51 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
And here I thought NJ has the worst drivers
It's unreal... almost like someone drives into a wall or building every day. Like a day or two ago an 18-wheeler ran into a Chilis. At least nobody was hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate