Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 04:12 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,480,600 times

Advertisements

I am just curious as to what you think about the state you live in. Where do you live? Do you think your state will ever hit bottom? Is the market still good in your area? I am not so much interested in data, charts and statistics but more just your personal opinion. You hear so much about the real estate market nation wide but not in each individual state. I live in Oklahoma and I hear on the news that Oklahoma's market is still good. The home prices are still increasing and homes are selling still it just takes a little longer. I don't see many homes for sale either, and not sure if people just are staying put. I know in the state of Utah the market is very bad, particularly the southern part of the state. I am very interested in that area as we will be moving there in three years. My real estate agent said that area hasnt even begun to hit bottom yet. My son lives in Houston, Texas and he feels that the market is still good and homes are selling pretty fast.

I would be interested in your feedback.....thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 04:14 PM

183 posts, read 686,184 times
I feel the same about Austin. Homes prices are rising (ever so slightly) and selling (it takes a bit longer) but overall, the market is decent.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:18 PM

Yes. I have heard Texas all over doing ok.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:55 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Texas RE was somewhat buffered from the quick rise in prices due to our high property taxes.
In retrospect, that saved our butts from becoming another California !

Old 10-03-2008, 09:34 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
We are definitely hitting bottom in some parts of Michigan. In some areas houses are selling for $1. Cant get any lower than that unless they pay you to take them.

Old 10-04-2008, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We are definitely hitting bottom in some parts of Michigan. In some areas houses are selling for $1. Cant get any lower than that unless they pay you to take them.
Really? Never heard of homes being sold for $1 How does that work? Are they in forclosure or what?

Old 10-04-2008, 05:41 AM

712 posts, read 2,145,513 times
I remember hearing once.. that new homes could be bought in North Dakota for like $13-14k, I think he means that no one wants to live there.. cause there's no jobs/options kind of areas.. which is what North Dakota is supposed to be

Old 10-04-2008, 06:10 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,926,587 times
Bank owned homes are selling for much less than replacement costs in my area. We will need some level of job improvement before we hit a true bottom. In some neighborhoods the inventory has become more like normal levels.

Back in the early 80's Baltimore sold homes for $1 as long as the buyer committed to fix it up and to live in it for a number of years. These were inner city homes and the neighborhood was considered "bad".
The end result was that yuppies bought the properties and with in a few years it was an "upscale" neighborhood. I think the concept is to provide incentive to restore a troubled area.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster View Post
I remember hearing once.. that new homes could be bought in North Dakota for like $13-14k, I think he means that no one wants to live there.. cause there's no jobs/options kind of areas.. which is what North Dakota is supposed to be
Ok but he is in Michigan. I still dont understand it. You buy the home for $13k and thats it. What would keep people from going there and buying a home and then renting it out and living in their state?

Old 10-04-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
Bank owned homes are selling for much less than replacement costs in my area. We will need some level of job improvement before we hit a true bottom. In some neighborhoods the inventory has become more like normal levels.

Back in the early 80's Baltimore sold homes for $1 as long as the buyer committed to fix it up and to live in it for a number of years. These were inner city homes and the neighborhood was considered "bad".
The end result was that yuppies bought the properties and with in a few years it was an "upscale" neighborhood. I think the concept is to provide incentive to restore a troubled area.
Oh ok so you would have to live in the home then for a number of years...that makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate