Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 07:21 AM

2 posts, read 15,046 times

Advertisements

I rent a basement apartment in brentwood, NY and my rent includes laundry, utilities, cable etc... There are months that I would ask to do laundry(our agreement is for bi weekly access) and still not get access which means I have to buy extra personal needs or use the laundromat, I still pay the full rent regardless.

Last month I brought it to my LL attention after several requests and no access and her explanation was they don't answer the door or their phones because they are usually relaxing and watching TV on weekends, I can't wash during weekdays because the alarm(which was recently installed) is active and it'll go off if the door is opened.

I paid my rent on time as usual except I took off the laundry expenses and they went off on me demanding I return the money. Since I don't have it they gave me an ultimatum, rent will be raised by $100.00 or loose laundry access. They did not ask me to move but did say if I can't afford to give them $100.00(which I can't) then I'll have to find another place.

For the meantime, I can't have guests, and my five year home sister who spends the night with mewhile my mum is at work is not allowed to spend the night anymore. They enter my apartment at the convenience because it is their house and I know this because the lady confirmed my suspicions and they fell for a trap I set yesterday morning.

I like my apartment but am tired of being taken advantage of, and I'll not be able to save enough money to move out. Can anyone please help in advising me on what to do as a tenant in a residential apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 08:43 AM

1,010 posts, read 4,911,277 times
It sounds like your main issue is that you can't do your laundry when it's convenient for you and they're not giving you access to the laundry room as they agreed to in your lease. When do they expect you to be able to do your laundry? I think you need to sit down with them and establish a schedule that works for both of you on when you can have access to the laundry room.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:53 PM

12 posts, read 42,591 times
If the terms of your lease state that you are entitled to use the laundry facilities bi-weekly then you shouldn't have to pay the extra $100. Whatever terms are in your lease are legally binding and should be followed.. You need to speak to a lawyer for advice. I cannot give you legal advice. But you should know that a landlord can only enter your apartment without advance notice in an emergency situation only unless your lease states otherwise.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:08 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgurl View Post
I rent a basement apartment in brentwood, NY and my rent includes laundry, utilities, cable etc... There are months that I would ask to do laundry(our agreement is for bi weekly access) and still not get access which means I have to buy extra personal needs or use the laundromat, I still pay the full rent regardless.

Last month I brought it to my LL attention after several requests and no access and her explanation was they don't answer the door or their phones because they are usually relaxing and watching TV on weekends, I can't wash during weekdays because the alarm(which was recently installed) is active and it'll go off if the door is opened.

I paid my rent on time as usual except I took off the laundry expenses and they went off on me demanding I return the money. Since I don't have it they gave me an ultimatum, rent will be raised by $100.00 or loose laundry access. They did not ask me to move but did say if I can't afford to give them $100.00(which I can't) then I'll have to find another place.

For the meantime, I can't have guests, and my five year home sister who spends the night with mewhile my mum is at work is not allowed to spend the night anymore. They enter my apartment at the convenience because it is their house and I know this because the lady confirmed my suspicions and they fell for a trap I set yesterday morning.

I like my apartment but am tired of being taken advantage of, and I'll not be able to save enough money to move out. Can anyone please help in advising me on what to do as a tenant in a residential apartment.
If you cannot afford to move you need to get a second job and start saving money up to get out of there. I would also find out what the landlord and tenant laws for your state are. (Google "[your state] Revised Statutes Search".

I'm sure there are some statutes that are being broken by your landlord. You need to educate yourself to what they are and then tell your landlord that you intend to sue him/her if he/she does not cease and desist immediately.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-04-2008, 08:46 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,754,273 times
Your description makes it sound like the landlord are in violation of the contract they signed with you. (I assume that laundry access is stated in your lease agreement?)

If that's the case, you should tell them that they are in violation of a legal contract signed between the two of you, and you will refer the matter to your attorney if they continue to violate the terms of the agreement. I would suggest detailing this in a letter to them and sending it by certified letter to their home. State the days and times you wish to have access. (I.e., create an Excel table of the dates of every other week and all the time that you wish to have access; i.e., October 12-18, October 26-November 1, etc).

And then follow the suggestion about getting another job or a 2nd job so you can get out of there quick, once your lease is up.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,974 times
im living in a basement n LL lives upstairs n they r constantly harassing me about my friends coming to my house. what can i do? i have no lease. in brooklyn

Old 08-19-2011, 02:17 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weo053 View Post
im living in a basement n LL lives upstairs n they r constantly harassing me about my friends coming to my house. what can i do? i have no lease. in brooklyn
you don't have a house.
heck, you don't even have an apartment. (look up the word "apart")

your "landlord" has a room mate in the basement.
live with it or move.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:53 PM

4,566 posts, read 10,653,145 times
So.... did you decide $100 was the laundry fee and not pay it? Or does your landlord charge you an extra $100 for laundry access in addition to rent?

PS. Both you and your landlord dont seem to be getting along in your weird living arrangement. I think you should find a new home.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:48 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,858,326 times
If you are lower income I'd contact legal aid and see if they can help or direct you to someone who can. Do you have a written contract that states rent and what is included?

Old 08-19-2011, 06:53 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,667,940 times
This thread is from 2008 and was bumped up today in post #6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate