Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 02:22 PM

202 posts, read 704,504 times

Advertisements

Wow, I didn't realize houses for sale could be that bad. That's good for me actually. I can have my house clean and neat and decluttered when I put it for sale and people will think, "Now, this is a nice house!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 04:08 PM

216 posts, read 913,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monack View Post
Seriously - when we were selling our house, we lived in a museum for 6 months. How can people have their house for sale in this market and not keep it in top shape for showings, especially when on a lock box?
Ditto on THAT! We wanted to sell quick, needed to sell quick, so I was insane about keeping it immaculate (with 2 little kids at home). We sold in 2 months, which I consider fantastic in this market. We decluttered everything, cleaned everything and it was seriously a showplace each time there was a showing.

We had 5 showings. The 1st made an offer contingent upon selling their house, the 2nd made an offer contingent on selling their house, the third people came back a second time and chose another house, the fourth people came back a second time and chose another house, the last people made an offer right after seeing it and bought the house. (the 1st and 2nd people still haven't sold their house - according to our broker, they are priced WAY above comps)

It was priced right and 'designed' to sell. You've GOT to make your home stand out, and price it correctly IF you want to sell it fast.

Oh-and we did bury a statue of St. Joseph

PS - Monack, GOOD LUCK on your offer! I I'll send you positive thoughts and prayers

Old 10-09-2008, 11:47 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,495,941 times
I agree with everything everyone else has posted, but would like to add one more thing: Weird showing instructions.

DH and I looked at a house last weekend. The lock box was on the front door. Tacked to the front door was a note indicating that we should go around to the back of the house to go inside and not use the front door.

The house in question sits on a hill (deal-breaker for us anyway as we'd prefer a more level lot) and going around to the back was a bit tricky for us. The grass had been watered too much and the yard was muddy and slippery.

We get to the back door and then the key that was in the lock box didn't even work! We gave up after that... we expended a lot of effort but didn't even get to go inside the place. *sheesh*

Last edited by ctribucher; 10-09-2008 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: Rain on the brain!

Old 10-09-2008, 12:30 PM

410 posts, read 1,682,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
When house hunting, what is your biggest pet peeve about somebody's house?
A stinky house...Sunny

Old 10-09-2008, 12:41 PM

392 posts, read 1,858,883 times
I'm not sure why everyone cares so much about others peoples stuff. If you buy the place it will all be gone won't it?
I actually think it is just fine when folks leave their junk around. I know most buyers don't seem to able see past it so there is the potential to negotiate more strongly if it is a place I want.
The only thing I don't care for is having the owner there. It can feel odd poking around with them there but if they choose to stay it is their choice and I will do what I need to do.
However, when I am selling a place I strip it down, make sure it is super clean and everything is repaired.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:28 PM

973 posts, read 3,304,759 times
[quote=monack;5587141]We looked at 9 properties over the weekend. By far the worst was the house we went to where they knew we were coming, but didn't bother to clean up at all before we got there... dirty dishes in the sink and on the counter... a locked gate that prevented us from going into the living room... we climbed up the stairs and saw 3 shut bedroom doors, and didn't even bother going in. We turned around and left before bothering to look at the rest of the house.

Seriously - when we were selling our house, we lived in a museum for 6 months. How can people have their house for sale in this market and not keep it in top shape for showings, especially when on a lock box?[/quote]

When my house was for sale, I kept mine in HGTV Perfect condition for two months! Was it a pain? You bet?

The neighborhood I lived in was made up of "cookie cutter" houses and after viewing the competition, I knew how important it was going to be for my house to stand out from the crowd. Whenever I asked for feedback from folks looking at my house, the reports were always favorable.
Everyone commented on how clean, neat and well maintained it was. My house sold quickly (for a depressed market) when others had been on the market for many months. Same size house, same lot size and neighborhood. You have to make your house look more favorable than the comp's.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:48 PM

973 posts, read 3,304,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stock66 View Post
I'm not sure why everyone cares so much about others peoples stuff. If you buy the place it will all be gone won't it?
I actually think it is just fine when folks leave their junk around. I know most buyers don't seem to able see past it so there is the potential to negotiate more strongly if it is a place I want.
The only thing I don't care for is having the owner there. It can feel odd poking around with them there but if they choose to stay it is their choice and I will do what I need to do.
However, when I am selling a place I strip it down, make sure it is super clean and everything is repaired.
I am referring to the overabundance of junk that detracts from a homes wonderful qualities.

If a buyer is so caught up looking at your shot glass collection, hummels, tribute to NASCAR, kids toys, etc... they may be too distracted from noticing the architectural details, the woodwork, the view, etc...
It also will make a room appear smaller. If a buyer percieves a room to be too small for their stuff, they won't buy it.

Staging a home is a tool to help you sell your home QUICKER! Unless someone is selling a house at a dramatically lower price than it's comps, a well staged and clean house will sell quicker. Although I know not to buy a house based upon how it is decorated and staged, I know that's a surefire way to sell one.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:40 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
I fall into the camp who doesn't care about the decoration, clutter, pet smells, or even how clean the bathrooms are in the home. My biggest pet peeves are not knowing the general boundries of the property and the owner being in the home. After buying several homes over the years, we can overlook everything else.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:21 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,502,785 times
Pet urine smells, pipe smells, garlic, grandpa smells, etc.
Dirty old shag carpet, clutter everywhere, bad landscaping and upkeep

Most sellers do have to crate their dog or cat for safetys sake - I would not let me dogs run loose so some dumb buyer lets them out the door and into the street.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:15 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,388,986 times
Great comments, and yes good realtors will cover all those things, and then some, and some agents will list anything, just to get it listed, but sometimes, sellers will even promise to do all the above and seem to never to get around to it. So the damage is done, and first impressions, well bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate