Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 09:31 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
Clients have the right to raise or lower prices at their will, REALTORS recommend, but don't set the prices. .
Every realtor says that, however many advise a price or a very small range. If you are a homeowner who has no idea or clue about comps, you'll just blindly accept what the realtor says. Basically you are PAYING the realtor to sell your home at the right price. The fault goes both ways. Unrealistic sellers and clueless realtors who have no idea what the market will be doing in 3-6 months out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
MLS prices were changed for the sale in order to stimulate consumer demand - .
You can put as much lipstick as you want on this pig, but the thing was still a "gimmick". No different that a seller offering a "free" plasma or a trip for purchasing their home. You and your company would be better off trying to convince these sellers to lower their price on their POS taj mahals...

When are people going to finally "get it" that either paying for closing and/or reducing the list price aggressively (NOT JUST FOR 10 DAYS) are the only things that will stimulate buying??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 09:27 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post

You and your company would be better off trying to convince these sellers to lower their price on their POS taj mahals...

When are people going to finally "get it" that either paying for closing and/or reducing the list price aggressively (NOT JUST FOR 10 DAYS) are the only things that will stimulate buying??
I think that was the objective, wrapped in the gimick. CB, the broker, forced its agents and their clients to have the painful discussion about repositioning.

The event was heavily advertized in my area and the reductions in the MLS were obvious. The timing could not have been worse, given the stock market and global economic news.

That almost all the participating CB listings in my area chose to revert back to their former prices is the mind boggling part. A side benefit is that some non CB listings were reduced to compete with the CB listings and those reductions are holding. Which listings have the better shot of getting sold?

Old 10-24-2008, 10:30 PM

9 posts, read 16,484 times
It didn't work for me, even with a buyer's incentive. Market is just bad.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:46 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
Back in the late 1990's there was a R.E. agency "Home and Gardens" I believe was the name of the company. They would list each house in a sliding scale range. One house would be listed for 200k-215k. I haven't seen them around for a while.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Back in the late 1990's there was a R.E. agency "Home and Gardens" I believe was the name of the company. They would list each house in a sliding scale range. One house would be listed for 200k-215k. I haven't seen them around for a while.

Weichert Realty franchises, in NJ, tried this approach, too.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:09 PM

Default One house at a time

Just heard that 93 homes that participated in the event, in the greater Chicago area, got sold. All things considered, that's not too shabby.

Assume at least half of those sellers might be in a better position to buy something, there may even be a mini domino effect.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:15 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,465,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Just heard that 93 homes that participated in the event, in the greater Chicago area, got sold. All things considered, that's not too shabby.

Assume at least half of those sellers might be in a better position to buy something, there may even be a mini domino effect.
That's great news. It's nice to think that stress has been removed from 93 families. Imagine how many more would've benefited if the sale hadn't hit in the middle of the Wall St meltdown.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,495 times
Remember you get what you pay for. Your Brokers Commission is not only selling your house, it is marketing your home and getting the best price possible. If your house was overpriced to begin with whose fault is it, yours or the brokers. Ultimately would not take a listing if the seller was not willing to price the home correctly to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lprovo View Post
If real estate agents are so good about knowing how to price a house, how come there are so many overpriced houses on the market? Can it be that ALL these sellers went against agent advice and CAUSED the housing industry mess themselves???

If I was a home seller using Coldwell, I don't think I'd agree to the price cut unless my agent joined in the fun by cutting her commission! In fact I'd consider canceling the listing, reducing my price by 6 - 10% and selling "by owner" instead.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:51 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
It is called Value Range Marketing and is still used in many places. We can do VRM with our MLS and some agents do.

shelly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate