Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 11:51 PM

503 posts, read 1,454,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
The reason I am selling is because my heart lives in Texas while my body is living in Pittsburgh. I should have given it more thought before I bought as to where I wanted to live long term. Live and Learn as the saying goes.

I'm not expecting only my kitchen to sell the house but it will definitely be the selling factor. High end (all wood-no laminate) hickory cabinets (not just normal cabinets--wine racks, pot drawers, slide out drawers, lazy susans, 2 corner cabinets with glass front, platter cabinet, pantry, tile floor and back splash, new appliances. Pocket glass door separating my Sun room from the kitchen/DR. In the DR there is hardwood (hickory) flooring and chair rail, with tile surrounding the hardwood and leading into the kitchen. Extended stationary lights over bar/sink area. There is also recessed lighting in the kitchen.
New roof, new front door, new interior doors throughout the main living area. Finished basement with wet bar and full bath. New carpeting throughout 1st floor (LR/bedrooms). New landscaping in front.
I actually think I paid too much for my house, but I had a crappy realtor who was in it for the commission. I bought it in 2001. If I could take my house and move it to TX, I would be a happy person--but I can't do that.
I live in a very nice suburb of Pittsburgh with a great school district. It is a very safe area, virtually no crime.
So that's my deal...
I'm having surgery tomorrow morning but after I recover, I will try to post some pics. (BEFORE and AFTER
It really sounds awesome. I don't know how much comparable homes are going in your area but it seems to me someone would expect to pay a bit more for all that.

I am not the kind of person who is all about granite, but after looking at one house that I thought was real nice, new carpet, fresh paint, 3 years old, new appliances,we opened the cup boards and the shelves were cheap particle board! Not even laminated or anything! The drawers seemed so cheap you would knock a hole thru it putting silver ware away.

We ran, ran, ran!

When we really took a good look it seemed they cut corners on every single thing and we started getting the feeling it was a cracker jack box house!

I told my hubby I want a custom built home with granite counters and real oak cabinets or maple or something! Anything to show me that this home had alot of thought and care put into it and is well constructed, not just slapped together for a quick sale!

After seeing so many homes I am noticing a big difference in the quality and a kitchen really says alot about a house. The one we are looking to buy now even has a walk in pantry with a glass door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 12:26 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,370,519 times
That is one thing I didn't put in my kitchen--granite. I wish now that I would have, but I didn't. Oh well....too late now. I hav "granite look" laminate countertops.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:54 AM

503 posts, read 1,454,575 times
Well I can't wait to see the pics texas! I am sure with all your other upgrades everyone can see what a nice home it is.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:12 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
That is one thing I didn't put in my kitchen--granite. I wish now that I would have, but I didn't. Oh well....too late now. I hav "granite look" laminate countertops.

Granite emits radon, also, the newer trend is quartz/silestone. You probably did better by using the laminate, lol....my sister has those same counters as your new ones...

Old 02-21-2009, 10:13 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,577,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The stock market is dropping, car lots are piling up, foreclosures are getting worse, the unemployment is going to be bad this month.... read between the lines... its a good time to buy? Its only a good time to buy if you got money to waste... cause you could of gotten it cheaper... but what's a few thousand dollars between you and your realtor that tells you to buy....
Right on ! One good example is a 5 acre horse property 4 br 3 bath 3 car gar, 3 yrs. ago sold for $729,000. My friend got injured lost the home , Bank is trying to sell ( has been broken into 3 times , lots of superficial damage ) Bank wants $ 188,000! I offered $110,000. Bank said no , not right now . But they will keep my offer on record for 90 days. prices are and will keep falling . Will I kick my self later ? I don't think so as house values are still falling here and maybe I will find some thing better . Just wanted to try to save the home for my friend to get back into .

Old 02-25-2009, 02:09 AM
HDL HDL started this thread

3,216 posts, read 6,786,538 times
Unhappy I'm noticing more and more buyers

having trouble getting a mortgage even with BIG DOWN payments and great credit scores !!! I may have to rethink selling and just stay put so that I don't become a BR2 ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
Of course, you need to be in the right postition to buy . Have all the money, or a relatively safe job and 20-25% down at the least . Don't be buying way above your means ! Buy at a price where you could get by if your income dropped or your spouse lost their job. None of this is rocket science by any means . It's what buyers should have been doing all along and banks / mortgagors should have done due diligence to make loans to folks that had the verified means to repay !

With all that said, I believe a lot of side line sitters are going to regret NOT buying soon as credit dries up (completely) and you are STUCK in a rental home / apartment for a veryyyy long time with no hopes of buying unless you have cash $$$$. Possibly having to move numerous times due to your rented home falling into foreclosure and your neighborhood turning ghetto with drug houses and empty homes with 4 ft weeds growing in the front yard !!

Plus it appears that some buyers will get their mortgage and / or interest rates written down. I haven't read about any bailouts for RENTERS (lol) . But homeownership is like the lottery, you've got to get in the game to play !!!

You HERD it here 1st PEEPS !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate