Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2008, 05:43 PM

482 posts, read 990,836 times

Advertisements

This has probably been posted here before, but I was just curious as to the differences in expectations from one area to another.

So, what qualities/services do you expect/want from your agent?

What does an agent do that proves their worth to you?

How do you choose an agent? (Other than referral, of course)

I would love to see what you guys have to say about any or all of the above questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 07:03 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,465,698 times
As a seller a year ago, I interviewed three agents. I wanted an HONEST price estimate with facts to back it up. (No punches pulled, but don't throw me under the bus either.) Knowledge of my local area and the type of buyers who made up the market.* And an excellent, proven marketing plan.

*Example, we had some "home made" floor to ceiling shelves in one room that were in the house when we moved in. They were quite junky, but we had lots of books and didn't mind them a bit. We asked each realtor whether we should tear them out or leave them-- by most standards they were an eyesore. The realtor we settled on said matter-of-factly, "Leave them. People who buy in JP love books." I knew immediately she was right. And she was.

Her pricing was unpleasant news, but she had an excellent sales record and I was very aware that the market had turned. Her brokerage was rated #1 for my area of the city. They knew the area, it's trends and how to market it inside and out. It wasn't a one-size-fits all realtor approach.

For what it's worth, one of the other realtors was very green, didn't seem to know a thing about my neighborhood, told me to upgrade everything in my house and also recommended the lowest selling price.

The other was a wonderful woman, great presentation, amazing marketing plan, but also didn't ring true on her knowledge of my area. We ALMOST went with her, but she seemed too confident in buyers who could sweep in and rehab our home to their standards. She may have been right. She may have been misguided. Or she may have been blowing smoke. She was extremely professional though and definitely had the best presentation.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:21 PM

394 posts, read 1,049,118 times
I like an agent who markets aggressively and has a sense of taste. Living in an area with lots of new cookie cutter, tacky homes, our custom built older home is not the norm but is superior (IMHO) in craftsmanship, detailing, etc. It is also well maintained, updated, and very nicely furnished. It's not the home for everyone but not every buyer wants to live in a giant vinyl box so I know my home has appeal to fans of mid-century architecture, those wanting established old-fashioned neighborhoods, etc. I instantly disregard an agent that tries to compare my home with the new junk sprouting up like mushrooms around town. It tells me they don't have a strong or varied client base and they are sort of the Wal-Mart of realtors - only able to sell something that appeals to the masses. I like agents that welcome all clients, not just those with the easiest houses to sell or those looking for the easiest houses to find.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:14 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Picks up the phone and calls you back or emails you back when you are trying to reach them.

Is honest and doesn't sell crap which will end up being an annoying issue when they don't follow up on their promisses. (don't say your are going to do an open house, if you won't do it, don't say you will advertise if you won't do it and explain where and which media you will use for the advertsement...don't sy I'm using all these websites that people who aren't a realtor can't get access to if it isn't true...makes the realtor look stupid)

Don't sell hot air...say it as it is and don't act like the teacher who thinks the seller is stupid and retarded!

Old 02-06-2009, 08:22 AM

394 posts, read 1,049,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

Don't sell hot air...say it as it is and don't act like the teacher who thinks the seller is stupid and retarded!

Agreed!

Old 02-06-2009, 08:27 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,105 times
All of the above and I have one who fits all those wants and needs! Now if I can just live up to HER hopes as a seller....I'm tryin', I'm tryin'!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate