Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 08:37 AM

959 posts, read 1,821,692 times

Advertisements

As a person who is trying to sell one home and then buy another, it is a downpayment issue for us. Our salary has more than doubled since we moved into our current home and we are trying to buy a much more expensive home. The problem is that my home I currently live in is worth less than what I bought it for so I may walk out of there with $50,000 profit. That is after spending $100,000 on improvements. None of that money will I see come back to me. $50,000 is not even close to the amount I need for a 20% down payment so coming up with that extra money is hard. If we would even get a 90% LTV, that would be outstanding. So the rate is not as important to us as the downpayment issue is. We have near perfect credit, have no debt besides our home and 1 car, have never been late ever for any payement and banks won't budge.

Kristine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 08:38 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,615,875 times
Government -"supported" loans are pooled and guaranteed by FNMA/FHLMC/GNMA and securitized and sold as investments to institutional investors.

Who is going to buy, what in effect would be 2.5% fixed rate paper, with 30 year maturities, with unkown pre-payment cash flows, backed by mortgages?

Old 10-20-2008, 08:57 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,615,875 times
Enabling people to buy/refi without regards to financial/ethical ability to repay the terms of the loan, is what got us into this mess.

The "hair of the dog" thing rolls the risk forward and does nothing to promote responsibile home ownership and reduce foreclosures to normal levels.

Areas in the U.S., most prone to historical housing bubbles took time, sometimes as much as a decade of flatlined prices, once the bottomed,, to work out. It tok Japan 15 years to begin to see appreciation, once they hit their bottom. And yet, most people in the U.S. seem to expect a V-shaped recovery.

Are expectations are in line with reality?

Old 10-20-2008, 02:45 PM

84 posts, read 316,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Government -"supported" loans are pooled and guaranteed by FNMA/FHLMC/GNMA and securitized and sold as investments to institutional investors.

Who is going to buy, what in effect would be 2.5% fixed rate paper, with 30 year maturities, with unkown pre-payment cash flows, backed by mortgages?

IMHO this could be a fed loan program.. Not insured, not securitized.... The government would own the loan for the term... Maybe with a re stated interest rate say 10 years down the road...

100% LTV for a fair market price purchase (not refi) for a qualified buyer....
Lets use 200 billion to stimulate some home "buying"....

100k loan @ 3% = $421 month
100k loan @ 6.75% = $648 month

Old 10-20-2008, 09:29 PM

14 posts, read 97,744 times
I wish the "tax credit" wasn't for just first time home buyers. I wouldn't mind a $7500 loan from the government, but since this isn't my first house... nada.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:52 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,476,786 times
When we were 1st time buyers back in 01, we got a buy down rate of 5.0%-7.0%, it helped ease us into home ownership then.

We had the CHAFA program, borrowed 12K for down payment...

Silly, we refinanced 2 years later and paid off CHAFA loans, and sold a year later for 200K more than we bought for 2 years prior...

The lady who bought our house had no business buying it, now the house is bank owned,and for sale (shadow inventory) for almost the price we paid back in 2001...

We moved on and bought two homes, never borrowed on them, but still a little underwater for now.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:55 PM

389 posts, read 1,073,298 times
How about if houses weren't so farking expensive? They shouldn't cost 300K when the average person only earns 30K/yr.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:03 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,466,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticPhoenix View Post
How about if houses weren't so farking expensive? They shouldn't cost 300K when the average person only earns 30K/yr.
Very true.....and thats what has happened In CA and other places....the average income didn't keep up with the way the home prices rising. I don't see how people afforded homes in CA. We moved in 1980 out of there and even then the prices were ridiculous.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:25 AM

389 posts, read 1,073,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
Very true.....and thats what has happened In CA and other places....the average income didn't keep up with the way the home prices rising. I don't see how people afforded homes in CA. We moved in 1980 out of there and even then the prices were ridiculous.
Yeah, that's what I really don't get, too... Work three jobs to live in paradise? Sure, but then you never can enjoy it!

But then, I would hardly call California "paradise" any longer. The Californians aren't the problem, either, it's all the transplants. lol

Old 10-22-2008, 08:00 AM

523 posts, read 1,415,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenet View Post
The government should offer 30 year loans fixed at 3% to anyone who "purchases" a home in the next 6 months......

Just bored watching my Dolphins get their butts kicked - again....

Any thoughts
This would only make the problem worse. Anybody who purchases a home during this 6-month period would immediately be underwater when this period was over and free market interest rates once again took hold. Think about it... in 6 months time we'll be right back where we started except worse b/c we'll have a whole new crop of 'homeowners' who overpaid for their homes and can only sell them for a loss.

It is not the governments job to keep home prices artificially high. The law of supply and demand will dictate what a home is worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate