Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 10:17 AM

520 posts, read 3,923,616 times

Advertisements

What is everyones thought on a 1st floor master bedroom?
Not talking about a ranch home here, LOL.

So you have 3 bedrooms on 2nd floor and master on main.
Not to crazy about that. Especially with 2 young kids.
When they wake up at night, they sometimes run to our room and look for us.

Realtors: Is this pretty popular or a turn off for potential buyers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 10:58 AM

2,639 posts, read 7,443,222 times
There is a demand for them in my area, particularly with older buyers in case they get sick or ill and can't walk up stairs. If your lot or budget allows for it, I would also consider putting a master suite upstairs for people who don't want a main level master, so they could potentially use the main level one as an office.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:19 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,952,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
What is everyones thought on a 1st floor master bedroom?
Not talking about a ranch home here, LOL.

So you have 3 bedrooms on 2nd floor and master on main.
Not to crazy about that. Especially with 2 young kids.
When they wake up at night, they sometimes run to our room and look for us.

Realtors: Is this pretty popular or a turn off for potential buyers?
Some people like them, though there isn't a huge demand. It's certainly preferred to those houses that have the master bedroom upstairs and one of the kids rooms on the first floor. The issue you have, with your kids waking up & wanting to come in your room, (I still have the same issue, occasionally) goes away at some point. Parents whose kids are all older, in their teens, don't have that issue. And by the time the youngest kid is in their teens, those parents are often old enough to appreciate not having to go upstairs to get to their own bedroom.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:23 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,836,193 times
I think it's market specific. They're hard to find in CA. In Texas, if you're over about the $170k price range with a master upstairs, you just ruined your resale value as you're going to have very few people who fit your house's criteria. Master downstairs is definitely a better sell and more common than upstairs... but if your market is mostly upstairs, you're not going to have issues. You want to stay away from things that are unual or not "normal" for your market.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:48 PM

620 posts, read 1,952,507 times
I think it does depend on the market. Our house in SC has it and we LOVED it! We do have 3 boys upstairs .( 17, 13 and 2) We just kept a monitor in our two year old's room. After awhile, he figured out how to creep downstairs into our room which was fine. I am a light sleeper so we did hear him.

We are looking at new homes here and I really don't know what way we are going to go. I would say for the new builds it is a 50/50 chance you will get a master on the bottom floor.I loved having our bedroom down and I am not sure how I feel about all of us being on the same floor. We don't like ranch style homes and that is one of the reasons.

I would suggest you really take your time before you jump into buying one. It has to be the right fit for YOUR family.

Sorry, you asked for agents opinions and I chimed in as a buyer.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:27 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,190,570 times
IMO- I prefer all bedrooms on the same. I always wanted my daughter nearby in case of emergency, illness, and teenage sneakiness. If I wanted to have a wild night myself, that's what a hotel was for LOL

Old 10-25-2008, 02:58 PM

316 posts, read 976,742 times
It really depends on the buyer. I have seen some that feel it is a turn off, because they want all the bedrooms on the same level or want the master to be upstairs. I have also had buyers that were specifically in search of a home that's two stories with the master down.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:07 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,593,598 times
Regarding two story homes: Master on mains (1st floor) are in highly sought in GA. Master BR on 2nd floors are not good on resale here. Neither are laundry rooms on 2nd floors.

However, ranches (one level homes) trump two stories here as well...

Old 10-25-2008, 05:34 PM

83 posts, read 311,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterGeek View Post
Regarding two story homes: Master on mains (1st floor) are in highly sought in GA. Master BR on 2nd floors are not good on resale here. Neither are laundry rooms on 2nd floors.

However, ranches (one level homes) trump two stories here as well...
I beg to differ on the laundry. The unpopular combination is to have the laundry and the master on different levels. Also, in my experience, most of the younger couples prefer the master to be at the top level.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:57 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,154,141 times
I think the best thing about main-level masters is that it allows the owner to "age in place". With that said, a lot will depend on the age of the children. But that is also a family decision (similar to putting the new baby in a bassinett in the MBR or in the nursery from the first night home).

We had a 3BR with all on the top level. Now we have a main-level master with the kids upstairs. LOVE having the master on the first level and will be hard to ever give that up. I also agree with the poster that said the laundry and master should be on the same level - exception would be if the W/D are in the basement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate