Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2008, 11:25 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times

Advertisements

Hi there
We had our house rented out for 4 years and I am just tired of renters. So I am strongly thinking of selling it. I would not like it to sit for months on end so I was thinking of selling it with a selling price. It is not a short sale.

The average house sale price in the area is $275,000. This house was totally redone last year ; new baths, new kitchen, roof, windows, updgraded the electric. New driveway.

How low would you go ; I was hoping to get $250,000 from the sale. But am I unrealistic.

Also how do you interview realtors?? I do have an appt on monday with one.

Thanks

d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 11:30 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Before I would interview agents I would get on Realtor.com, Homes.com, etc and look at marketing. Screen for Medford homes and look in your anticipated price range (luxury home marketing always looks better). Then look at photos, and virtual tours. Screen out the agents right away with poor internet photos.

Once you have a list of agents with good internet photos, then google a few of the addresses of their listings. You should have several sites pop up which will indicate how extensive their online marketing is for those properties.

Then start to interview the agents that do that the best. You want to hire someone who just doesn't tell you what a great job they will do for you, but someone that actually DOES do a great job.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:31 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
Some basic questions I would ask realtors...there are more, however these are just a few...

How many homes have you sold in the past year? Two years? Have you sold any in my neighborhood? Get references from the people who sold w/them.

Have you been through a negative housing cycle before?

Do you live in the area? If you haven't sold any in the neighborhood or you don't live near, how would you expect a realtor to know that area....?

What's your pricing range?

Also, if the realtor is good, they'll tell you something you don't want to hear about your home or the price you were thinking.

Go with the realtor who tells you something you DON"T want to hear, vs the many that have no clue what the market will be in 3-6 months...

If you want to sell in the worst market in 20 years, your going to need to find the lowest priced home that sold recently and drop it another 10%....that will tell you where you stand on what your home is worth.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:00 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,843,475 times
How low do you go??? you go just lower than what has sold RECENTLY in your neighborhood for a comparable home. and a little lower than that if you can to generate some excitement. Have an agent that is willing to do what it takes in marketing. When you tell them you understand that the first 30 days are critical, and are willing to price accordingly, they should be excited to market it!!!

Also, is your rentor still in the home????? if so, how are they going to be about showings???? That can really impact your selling.

shelly

Old 11-05-2008, 07:25 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
The renter is supposed to leave on friday. Of course I wouldnt even think of listing it until they are gone.

Thanks so much for all advice and opinions. i know its not the best time to sell, but my patience is gone.

d

Old 11-05-2008, 12:52 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,843,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
The renter is supposed to leave on friday. Of course I wouldnt even think of listing it until they are gone.

Thanks so much for all advice and opinions. i know its not the best time to sell, but my patience is gone.

d
Good!! and Good Luck!!

shelly

Old 11-06-2008, 07:20 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,986,140 times
Find an agent you "click" with. Someone that you can communicate with and you trust. Don't just fall for a slick presentation and the promise of the highest price. Don't discount a newer agent. The good ones (like "Me") will work hard to please you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate