Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 08:50 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,996,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmusica View Post
Old_Cold, I'm not going to go to the trouble to explain it again, especially to another inflexible, narrow-minded person that has it all figured out. If you are truely interested, you will go back and read through the thread. Your sarcasm is not appreciated and it appears that mostly in this forum, there is no room for meaningful discussion, there is only room for denegration of each other and/or any new ideas AND you absolutely don't know what you are talking about!

I'll just let you people turn your know-it-all attitudes toward each other as you have nothing else constructive to offer. Shame on you!
ccmusica, with all due respect, you have responded to several people who disagree with you with the comment that they obviously don't understand your idea. Is it possible that we are all right and you are wrong? Disagreeing with your proposal doesn't mean that someone is "inflexible" or "narrow-minded." You need to open up your own mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 09:15 PM

82 posts, read 145,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin-Willy View Post
ccmusica, with all due respect, you have responded to several people who disagree with you with the comment that they obviously don't understand your idea. Is it possible that we are all right and you are wrong? Disagreeing with your proposal doesn't mean that someone is "inflexible" or "narrow-minded." You need to open up your own mind.
I don't mind people disagreeing with me. I have only responded that way when people have accused me of having an idea whose intent was underhanded, self-serving, and quite frankly, didn't understand it, otherwise they would not have responded in such a manner. I am very disappointed that people in this forum cannot have a discussion without being accusatory, demeaning, sarcastic, and mean spirited...and I am supposed to just ignore it? If you go back and read through the posts, I was not that way to anyone until they started "attacking" me personally as having devious intentions. By the way, you were also demeaning and accusatory, but I didn't come back at you did I? Can't people just disagree without trying to belittle someone???

Old 01-16-2009, 12:45 PM

I apologize for my behavior letting this discussion devolve into what I was trying to avoid, name-calling and belittling. I am only human and I, like anyone else, have a hard time ignoring personal snipes.

Here is the heart of my frustration: The only arguements I have heard are from a personal moralistic, judgemental standpoint, and nothing that refutes the possible viability of this plan from a purely economic standpoint.

My question is, purely from an economic standpoint, if my plan has potential and works to help lenders mitigate losses, shouldn't it be considered?

Old 01-16-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I apologize for my behavior letting this discussion devolve into what I was trying to avoid, name-calling and belittling. I am only human and I, like anyone else, have a hard time ignoring personal snipes.

Here is the heart of my frustration: The only arguements I have heard are from a personal moralistic, judgemental standpoint, and nothing that refutes the possible viability of this plan from a purely economic standpoint.

My question is, purely from an economic standpoint, if my plan has potential and works to help lenders mitigate losses, shouldn't it be considered?
We have refuted the economic viability of your plan many times and it has nothing to do with a judgment about the borrower's ethics. Under your plan, the amount of outstanding loans owed to the lender doesn't change, but the value of assets owned by the lender is reduced. That is not good for the lender. Which part of that do you disagree with?

Old 01-16-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin-Willy View Post
We have refuted the economic viability of your plan many times and it has nothing to do with a judgment about the borrower's ethics. Under your plan, the amount of outstanding loans owed to the lender doesn't change, but the value of assets owned by the lender is reduced. That is not good for the lender. Which part of that do you disagree with?
The part I disagree with is that the value of the "swapped" REO is substantially increased ($375,000 vs. $300,000) over asking price, larger than the margin of reduced value on the "buyer's" house, thus a net gain for the lender, regardless if the loan is a new one or an old one.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
The part I disagree with is that the value of the "swapped" REO is substantially increased ($375,000 vs. $300,000) over asking price, larger than the margin of reduced value on the "buyer's" house, thus a net gain for the lender, regardless if the loan is a new one or an old one.
Let me just make sure that I understand your reasoning. You believe that the house that the lender gives to the borrower who is "trading up" (i.e. the more valuable house) will automatically and immediately have an increased value once it is in the borrower's hands (presumably because it is no longer bank-owned)? And you further believe that the house that the borrower gives back to the lender (i.e. the less valuable house) will automatically and immediately go down in value when it is transferred to the lender (presumably because it will become bank-owned). BUT, you believe that the increase in the first house will be greater than the decrease in the second house.

Is that it?

Old 01-16-2009, 02:28 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,243,841 times
OK...I'll admit to using memory to come up with figures.
I just re-read and can see where my last post concerning selling yours plus borrowing $25 more would have annoyed you.
Those figures didn't apply at all and it just ended up being stupid
(I don't mind being stupid occassionally....it keeps me humble

Old 01-16-2009, 02:35 PM

Let me explain something...home values are established 2 ways; approximate value by appraisal, and actual value upon transfer of title. If on the transfer of title the REO is valued at $375,000 then that is the basis (value) of the house. Even if the appraisal comes in much higher, the actual value of the house is what it transfers for. The bank uses the transferred amount to calculate its profits and losses. Tranferred home values are what establish market values, up or down.

The banks would not go into this blindly and hope for the best. Different areas have different discount margins for selling REOs. The banks would probably qualify people on the basis of appraisals of both houses. If the bank assesses that they will probably realize a net gain by the deal with the 2 houses, then it goes through. If the average REO discount is 20% for a given area, then it might work. If the average REO discount for a given area is 50% (such as certain areas in LA) then it probably would not work.

The banks would have the ultimate say on who can participate and who can't. People would have to apply for these trades, and through appraisals and economic demographics, the banks would evaluate if it is feasable to realize a net gain from the deal. If they felt they couldn't make enough "net profit", they would probably turn down the applicant.

Last edited by ccmusica; 01-16-2009 at 02:57 PM..

Old 01-16-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
OK...I'll admit to using memory to come up with figures.
I just re-read and can see where my last post concerning selling yours plus borrowing $25 more would have annoyed you.
Those figures didn't apply at all and it just ended up being stupid
(I don't mind being stupid occassionally....it keeps me humble
Thanks old_cold, I really appreciate that! *hugs*

Old 01-16-2009, 03:03 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,243,841 times
You might want to hold that hug.
The posting with erroneous figures during pre-dinner cocktail time doesn't mean I still don't see flaws in your proposal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate