Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 01:29 PM

257 posts, read 489,388 times

Advertisements

We are getting our house ready to sell in Northern Mississippi, a suburb of Memphis. The home is in an upscale neighborhood and will list for $329,000. Our realtor had a home decorator give us a consultation on staging the downstairs of our home. Since I have no idea what the cost of staging a home is, I am asking for feedback from you.

Total cost - includes 3 month rental of furniture and accessories is $2,700.

Rooms to be staged and items needed include:

Dining room - dining room table, 4 chairs, simple drapes for 1 set of 3 windows, several accessory pieces.

Living room - one couch, 2 chairs, a coffee table, and simple drapes for 2 single windows, several accessory pieces.

Keeping room - several accessory pieces and a 9x12 rug.

Bedrooms - 4 table lamps, several accessory pieces.

She also provided good information on how to stage all the other rooms with our own furniture. Our stager gave us advice on a color to paint 3 rooms so the counter tops and flooring will look better. She has arranged a painter to do the needed painting.

Does her pricing seem in line?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 01:33 PM

530 posts, read 666,964 times
I know nothing about this except what I've seen on tv and I don't recall how much (if they mention it at all) they charge to stage a home. I do know that I would try to hire someone myself. It's too cozy to hire someone that the real estate agent recommended. This smacks of..kick-back to me....
Also, if my math is correct, isn't this about one per cent of the asking price of your house, more or less?
See if someone else can do it for less.

Last edited by Southern Star; 02-03-2015 at 01:53 PM..

Old 02-03-2015, 01:40 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times
Does that price includes the painting? And what is the rate if its longer than the months? Does it include insurance against damage?

Old 02-03-2015, 01:51 PM

51,648 posts, read 25,800,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
I know nothing about this except what I've seen on tv and I don't recall how much (if they mention it at all) they charge to stage a home. I do know that I would try to hire someone myself. It's too cozy to hire someone that the real estate agent recommended. This smacks of..kick-back to me....
Also, if my math is correct, isn't this about ten per cent of the asking price of your house, more or less?
See if someone else can do it for less.
It's less than 1% of the price of the house.

If you feel it is too cozy a deal, kick-backs and all, call in others and get bids to compare.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:00 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
High. I think. Ours in Denver was less.
On the other hand, on "Flip or Flop" in greater Los Angeles, they pay $3-4K for staging that appears to be less than a month.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Does that price includes the painting? And what is the rate if its longer than the months? Does it include insurance against damage?
The painting cost of $1,100 is in addition to the $2,700 for staging. I need to find out what additional months of staging would cost as well as what happens if an item gets damaged.

The real estate agent has not used staging in the past.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:26 PM

51,648 posts, read 25,800,144 times
Works out to less than $1,000/month, gets you great photos, is about the cost of a decent leather sofa and chair.

Is it worth it to you?

In this area, stagers charge around $300 to consult. No furniture, drapes, or nothing.

According to: How Much Does Home Staging Cost? | Budget For Professional Home Staging When You Learn The Sensible Price Benefits!

"The average professional home staging costs between three and five thousand dollars. Professionally staged homes sell in an average of 35 days (compared to 175 days for non-staged homes), according to StagedHomes.com. Most homeowners who are selling their home reduce the price of their home after about a month on the market, and the first price reduction is on the order of ten percent. So on a $200,000 home, the first price reduction is $20,000. If the home had been professionally staged for five thousand dollars and sold within its first month on the market, the homeowner would have been $15,000 in the black. Certainly a good return on investment!"

Old 02-03-2015, 02:38 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
Out here that would be high for what you are describing, but it might be the going rate for your area. Out here I'd say you'd be in the $1200 range for that.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:51 PM

We live in a pretty low cost area of the country. Our 3,550 home that is 9 years old on a acre lot should sell for $325,000. I guess the cost of the staging has me hesitating.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:02 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,782,361 times
We consulted with a stager. Fortunately she liked most of our furniture (in fact the new buyers asked to keep some of it), and we took every single piece of her advice and staged the place ourselves. Our costs were:

stager consultation - $300
storage unit for two months - $200
paint - $200 (yes, I used the good stuff)
furniture rental - $90
crisp new bedding/pillows - $200
misc art, mirrors, accent pieces - $500
new curtains for one area - $100

So - right around $1700. We also spent $1500 on landscaping repairs/beautification/junk removal. I will note though that it was very stressful getting everything done ourselves on a deadline. If I knew then what I know now - I might have hired it all done and considered it money well spent. In the end it really paid off. Our house sold in record time when other houses were sitting on the market for months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate