Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 11:20 PM

2,800 posts, read 9,984,063 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am in Arizona. I was wondering if anyone out there has knowledge of this situation. A little over a year ago, we purchased a mobile with addons. It was old and pretty ugly and run down. We recently put about $50,000 into. We removed the tongue, stuccoed the entire home etc. The county assessor came out and inspected the home and reclassified it as "modular site built". It is now considered site built, our taxes almost doubled etc. However, we are trying to sell the home. The home was recently in escrow (fell out of escrow for unrelated reasons...very crazy situation and potential buyer wasted almost 2 months of our time and lost us money). Upon trying to get financing the appraisers still wanted to classify it as a mobile, therefore lenders didn't want to lend on the home. We have finally found at least 1 lender that WILL lend on the home, however, we have known numerous people in the last couple of years that have bought mobile homes that have been reclassified after being stuccoed etc. Does anyone have any suggestions or input on how to get the appraiser to change their report? or??? Any other input here?
We have definately learned one thing...we would never try to rennovate a mobile home again. It would be more cost effective to just tear it down and start over. But hey...they place looks awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 11:22 AM

19,954 posts, read 29,990,395 times
depending on your profit margin, would it be worth putting a foundation underneath it?
modular homes, with a fixed foundation, are much more attractive, than a portable trailor
good luck!

Old 02-24-2007, 12:39 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,287,204 times
Is the mfg'd home on a stem wall? If not, then you can have it "retrofit" for about $3,000 and it will then qualify for VA and FHA financing. And if it's a double-wide (vs single-wide) it will qualify for conventional financing, too. The one caveat - it has to have been built after June, 1976.

It sounds like the problem may be with the appraisers. I think if it can be considered a modular site-built, then that should actually help you get a better price and easier financing. I'd talk to some lenders that are really familiar with mfg'd home financing options. They should also be familiar with how their appraisers classify the home (mfg'd vs site-built modular). Don't know what part of AZ you're from, but up here in Prescott we've got several lenders that really "know their stuff" when it comes to mfg'd home financing.

Last edited by Gretchen B; 02-24-2007 at 12:40 AM.. Reason: correct typ0

Old 02-24-2007, 12:57 AM

2,800 posts, read 9,984,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
Is the mfg'd home on a stem wall? If not, then you can have it "retrofit" for about $3,000 and it will then qualify for VA and FHA financing. And if it's a double-wide (vs single-wide) it will qualify for conventional financing, too. The one caveat - it has to have been built after June, 1976.

It sounds like the problem may be with the appraisers. I think if it can be considered a modular site-built, then that should actually help you get a better price and easier financing. I'd talk to some lenders that are really familiar with mfg'd home financing options. They should also be familiar with how their appraisers classify the home (mfg'd vs site-built modular). Don't know what part of AZ you're from, but up here in Prescott we've got several lenders that really "know their stuff" when it comes to mfg'd home financing.
Thanks for the reply!
I'm in Bullhead City, however, I would assume your lenders would be able to lend in Bullhead as well correct? Country Wide is the one I know will lend on the home, but there were a couple of others that would not because the appraisers say they have to put it as a mobile. It is pre 1976 (1960's) and is a wa a singlewide but everything has been redone. All new wiring, plumbing etc. When you look at the outside, you cannot tell it ever was a mobile. On the inside, when you enter, you enter into the living room and 2 of the bedrooms are "sunken" down 2 stairs. If you want to see it you can either view mls# 780294 or List #06-7798. I don't know why there are 2 different numbers...but it has just been relisted this last week.
If you think you know lenders that will lend please pm me so I can give list to the realtor...I really appreciate your input!

Old 08-14-2007, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 26,575 times
Question Mashiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post

I am also looking for a lender to lend on a mobile built in 1975, in good condition and also on a half acre, the land and mobile are currently owned free and clear but I am looking to take some cash out as an investment. If you know of anything please contact me. Thanks
Mashiya

Old 08-14-2007, 09:57 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,229,888 times
Here is what I have been told by both National lenders(many) and local appraisers (TN). Once a mobile, always a mobile. If that one or two main metal beams that run the length of the house (the first item put down and built up from there at the factory) is seen by an appraiser, and yes they look for it if they even think it is/was a mobile, it has to be classified as a mobile.
This includes mobiles on permanent foundations.
I would fight that at the county level tax wise, that is just wrong to tax it as a modular or anything else in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashiya Rodriguez View Post
I am also looking for a lender to lend on a mobile built in 1975, in good condition and also on a half acre, the land and mobile are currently owned free and clear but I am looking to take some cash out as an investment. If you know of anything please contact me. Thanks
Mashiya
Try your local banks. They are more likely to finance on them than national lenders.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:14 PM

3,250 posts, read 9,148,724 times
If it still has the axles underneath, even if the wheels have been removed, it is still considered a mobile(manufactured) home, even on a permanent foundation. What the standard lenders are willing to loan on at that point is the LAND not the house.

Also, there is a code attached to the house in the kitchen on the inside of a cabinet somewhere that will give you all the info you need. That code will tell an appraiser at a bank if it's truly a mobile or modular home. Standards of lending on the two are completely different. Liz

Old 08-14-2007, 10:33 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,333,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Once a mobile, always a mobile.
That's the truth !

AMBRO is a lender who will loan on a mobile (unless somethings changed).

Expect higher rates, expect shorter terms (often only to 20 years).

Old 08-14-2007, 11:11 PM

631 posts, read 2,436,531 times
I have just a small bit of experience with manufactured home vs site built. I would agree to always a mobile.

It seems like what we run across is, either it's on a permanent foundation or not. Was the title actually "deactivated" to consider it real property vs. personal property in which you pay taxes at the DMV, and was the tongue removed.
We also run across never finding a lender to loan on them regardless.

As for taxes perhaps check with the state assessors office for the rules and see if there is a challenge to be had.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:40 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,287,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashiya Rodriguez View Post
Mashiya
I'm not in the mortgage business, but what I've been told is that you can't do a refinance on a single-wide, and I'm assuming a Pre-HUD single-wide would be nixed immediately. If your single-wide is "permenantly affixed", then I don't think you'd be able to refinance just the land. You mention being on a 1/2 acre. Is that splittable into a smaller parcel? If it is, I wonder if you could do something creative along those lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate