U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 05:11 PM

279 posts, read 1,765,020 times

Advertisements

I know I signed a 90 day listing agreement, but now I don't like the guy at all. If the "busy" season is coming up, I don't want him making money off of me and all the hassles he's causing me.
I'm sure the answer is that I am stuck for the duration, but on the off chance I'm not I would love to know how to dump this guy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 05:25 PM

11,483 posts, read 31,064,599 times
http://realtytimes.com/rtcpages/20070223_askrt.htm about half way down Peter Miller answers the same question.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:39 PM

Thank you, I am going to go re-read my contract now.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:41 PM

11,373 posts, read 47,117,168 times
Is this simply a personality clash or is the agent doing inappropriate stuff?

Short of absolute non-performance of the contract on the part of your realtor, it's generally difficult to end an exclusive right to sell listing contract early. Even in a non-performing situation, it can be very difficult to end early.

Depending upon the wording of your contract, if the agent brings a legitimate & qualified buyer contract offer to you which meets your listing terms, the agent may still be entitled to his comission for the services provided, even if you decide not to sell because the agent you don't like is the one that brought you the contract.

However, you might try visiting with the agent's managing broker and see if he'd be agreeable to release you from the contract if you have a legitimate complaint about the agent ... which could otherwise lead all of you to problems which the brokerage may not want to have. Perhaps another agent in the office will be able to meet your requirements. At the very least, you should let the managing broker know of your dissatisfaction and allow them an opportunity to work it out or part company ... whichever is best for both of you.

Be aware that the stuff your agent is doing that "hassles" you may be reasonable, prudent, and ... in his professional capacity ... justifiable. Which means you may have the same "hassles" with the next agent if they're trying to do a proper job for you.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:03 PM

19,284 posts, read 25,802,911 times
you can request an unconditional release from your broker

Old 02-23-2007, 06:08 PM

225 posts, read 783,925 times
Although not from CA, in Maryland all listing agreements between Seller and Company can be terminated following certain conditions. Check your contract. I believe there may be a way out for you. This is JMO but if you are uncomfortable with your agent for any reason, you have the right to move on. Selling a home is a stressful proposition when everything goes smoothly. Sometimes people just don't mesh. It's not personal. This is business. Hopefully if you move on to another realtor, make sure you communicate upfront your expectations. This may prevent problems further down the road.

Good Luck.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:44 PM

Well he is the broker. On another thread I mentioned that he tried to get me to drop my price after only 17 days. I just don't like how he is VERY quick to get off the phone with me. He doesn't report any feedback. He basically told me that his stradegy is to price it so low that it will get viewings. Like the value of my home doesn't even matter. His first listing price, which we said hell no to, was 35,000 less than what it is worth. I want to sell my house not give it away. I'm not running an essay contest. My house is price is right on par with the area.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:50 PM

Let me just say one more thing. Regading my use of the word "hassles" That may not have been what I was trying to say. I think my agent is lazy and not putting enough effort. We are on the MLS. He said we have an add in the paper--I have yet to see it. He won't bring his buyers by to see my house, I suppose I am just frustrated. And you would think this would be easy because we are not going to buy until we move out of state. So it's not like I'm needing to sell to get my dream home, but it's still hard on the nerves. My grandparents stayed in their homes for 45+ years, they were smart.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:50 PM

19,284 posts, read 25,802,911 times
yes, selling your home is always stressful, and if your broker isnt executing his fiuiciary duties to you, then call him on it, however, and please dont take offense to this, but i've had clients(sellers) that got very emotional, because their house didnt sell in two weeks, they called me everyday, and asked if their is any interest...yet, and getting more impatient with every call.
and it wasnt a 5 minute call,,,it was over 30 minutes.
again, if you dont feel comfortable with your broker, then discuss it with him, beyond that, if he is rude, then call his company up and ask for the owner, or designated broker.

take a deep breathe, you are the client, you make the final decision!

Old 02-23-2007, 09:19 PM

4 posts, read 17,828 times
Your listing agreement is not with the agent but with the brokerage that he/she works. Call the managing broker and tell them you want another agent to represent your listing. Be specific about your needs and what you want from the agent that is representing you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate