U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2007, 09:33 PM

7,453 posts, read 9,259,247 times

Advertisements

There are about a dozen or so Realtors in my area with names that are pretty well recognized throughout my area. These are the ones with the most listings, sales, etc. each year. I've worked with all of them at sometime. It seems to be that most of them (a couple of exceptions) really do a poor job servicing their clients. I recently took over an expired listing from one of them. My clients have told me I've worked harder in the month I've had it listed than the "big name" did in over 5 months. I've heard similar things from other clients in the past.

I often wonder if it's just my area or if other's find this to be true?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 09:42 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,463,608 times
About a month ago, I took over a listing from a big name. The other agent didn't even have photos of the inside of the house, have her office see it, do an open house, or make any leave behind materials. I did all that and got it sold in 2 weeks!

Old 02-23-2007, 10:00 PM

1,005 posts, read 4,554,541 times
I think it depends on the big name person. I know of a few top agents in my area who work really hard, answer their own phones, do a full marketing effort on the listings, etc. Then there are some who only work hard on the listings that will sell quickly or are easiest to handle. My pet peeve is agents who won't answer their phone or won't call you back unless you have an offer waiting for them. In this business it's just as important to have good rapport with other agents as it is with clients.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:10 PM

Location: Lakeville, MN - 4th nicest place in the nation to raise a family
285 posts, read 1,098,566 times
I'd like to chime in as one of those local 'big names' in my area.

I know exactly what you're talking about. Unfortunately, many of these big names get tons of business, but they never delegate - and the service stinks. Or worse yet, the big name hires some yank to handle his (or her) overage so you're left with a rank amatuer.

One of the biggest things we 'big names' can offer you is our list of contacts. When I get a listing, I go through my list of names and call people who are potentially interested. I've sold homes before they go on the market, even in the current market conditions. A newbie or amatuer will not have those resources.

Just remember - experience does not necessarily make a good Realtor. It is possible to see (and I've seen) agents who've been terrible Realtors for 30+ years. It's not that they're good - it's that they're not dead yet. My $0.02 on that.

Robert

Old 02-24-2007, 09:55 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,812,389 times
I think that's pretty much the case here in Charlotte. Reason being that the Top Producers are busier than others and just don't have the time to give individualized attention to clients. What happens is they either get over committed and just can't handle everything or they give it to their inexperienced assistant who doesn't know or in some cases just doesn't care as much because it's not really their listing. I think the unique think about being a Realtor is that YOUR name is on everything you do. For that reason you care about the outcome. And, if an assistant is handling it for you; that's not always the case.

My theory is that the best listing agent is one who has been in the business about 3-5 years, having handled 50- 200 transactions. Long enough to be experienced and short term enough to still take the time to personally attend to the client.

Old 02-24-2007, 05:24 PM

19 posts, read 73,447 times
I feel that in this industry in order to become a "big name" agent, a certain level of service is always part of your business. I find that as a real estate agent, I do not personally see the service from some from the big teams in town, but I'm sure its there.

The only reason I see a big real estate team that does not have good customer service succeed is because of their heavy investment into indirect marketing, where the consumer does not directly get a referral to the team. Rather, they enter the relationship based on the image of the team via their marketing, and through the agent presenting past testimonials to close the deal and so forth.

So when you ask if the "big names" around town do not do as much work, the only way I can see this happening is if they are heavily into indirect marketing. Otherwise, their past clients and network are still feeding them referrals which is an indirect testimonial to an agent's level of service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate