Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 09:30 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,128 times

Advertisements

Springbean, Hey boot camper! if ya can stand it , leave it on the market! Especially if the inventory of your price range is dropping , due in part to the holidays. You might have out of towners in the area for the holidays, that are looking to relocate there. Worry about next year, next year

(And IMHO, don't go overboard with the holiday decorating. Less is more, simple and tasteful would be my aim....don't want to over power your homes features
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 10:05 AM

30 posts, read 97,572 times
Default Another vote for leaving it on the market!

I have several active buyers who are motivated to move...you never know when that right person will turn up - if you aren't on the market, it won't get sold!

I agree with what someone said earlier in the thread - if you are having showings but no qualified offers.... you need to think about another price bump.

I am seeing stuff sell - and when it's priced right, it sells fast. If homes aren't sold soon after they come on the market, they do sell within weeks of their last price adjustment.

Good Luck and Happy Holidays!

Jennifer

Old 11-20-2008, 01:17 PM

353 posts, read 1,020,971 times
Keep it on the market...

- Homes that are decorated for the holiday season can be warm and inviting...
- Buyers looking now are serious, not just tire kickers...
- If you want some personal time for the season, ask your Realtor to remove the
lockbox and do by appointment only til the first of the year.

As lottery slogan goes "ya gotta be in it to win it!" No reason to take time off. Check the price and the condition of the house and then go for it!

Old 11-20-2008, 02:43 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,207 times
Buyers who are looking right now are more serious about actually buying, so you will probably get fewer showings, but it's all about quality, not quantity.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:55 PM

183 posts, read 686,399 times
[quote=TexasHorseLady;6239778]What price range are you in? Overall, RRE has 5.11 months of inventory on the market right now, and RRW has 4.64, but there's a pretty big range depending on price point. That information (how things are moving in your area in your price point) would help determine the answer.

Also, what does your agent (who has all the facts that we don't) say?[/quote

We are listed at $270,000, and are competing with new builds. I think that is where the root of the problem is, we can't reduce as aggresively as the builder . 5 months of inventory for RRE, that actually not too bad. Thanks for that info!

Old 11-21-2008, 08:06 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,388,986 times
I just had a friend drop a listing, and just shortly after, his neighbors property sold, and My friend called, and wonederd, did we miss a chance to show and possibly sell his? It will certainly not sell, if not listed. As most of the posters said, people are always moving, even during the holidays, so keep it up, and good luck.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:20 AM

192 posts, read 631,449 times
Many folks remove their home during the holidays - this "could" work in your favor if you keep yours listed, and you don't want to miss one single buyer! You are used to "being prepared" to show the home, and everyone understands the holiday crazies ,AND I totally agree with newbeginnings12 that people are coming in to town. AND, I'll bet your home will look gorgeous all dressed up! Something to consider - we'd love to hear that you bucked the odds!!! Take care!

Old 11-23-2008, 06:00 PM

156 posts, read 469,815 times
Just want to add my two cents in that I am a buyer looking to buy over the holidays...

Old 11-24-2008, 07:18 AM

151 posts, read 798,755 times
Keep it on the market, just DON'T update pictures with your holiday decorations! Good luck to you and remember, those who come shopping over the holidays are serious buyers! (Cuz who the heck wants to buy a house in this market, over Christmas, unless they have to??!)

Old 11-24-2008, 12:35 PM

317 posts, read 1,231,110 times
I don't want to be redundant, so I'll touch on something that has not been addressed. You were concerned that if it stayed on the market into Spring from the original list date that people would see how long it had been on the market and be less interested. I will say that even if you take it off the market, they will see that it was on the market through their realtor or an online system. They'll know you've been trying to sell it since you first began anyway, regardless of whether you take it off the market or not.

I do agree that your home gets the most attention right after its listed and then after price changes. Whether it's priced in line or not, buyers and realtors watch daily reports of newly listed or homes with price changes. When they're ready to buy and have looked at everything on the market they want to see they are waiting each day for those reports from realtors and act on them. Buyers get MUCH more interested in homes where there has been a price change if it's not a new list. So even if you do keep it on the market (which is in your best interest with less competition and the increased opportunity for buyers for staying on the market), if you're still for sale in Spring, a price reduction will get attention. I'm not saying that just to say it because I'm assuming you're over priced. I don't know your home or your market, and you might be priced great. But I know today's buyers who are ready to move...they are motivated by price decreases when they've been looking awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate