Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 02:18 PM

584 posts, read 2,150,133 times

Advertisements

I have two questions...
1. This is my first house that I will be selling and moving away from (previously only moved from apartments and then to my first house), I'm not sure about the steps in order to sell a house. All the paperwork, timing, owning two houses at once I guess, etc. Does anyone have any experience or advice that they could share about first time house selling? I know what to look for in finding a new house, just don't know what to do with this one.
2. Any advice on making a house look good for selling? I know the basics, paint, clean, landscape.....any different ideas?
Thanks.

P.S. The house I will be selling, will be empty. No professional help, just me fixing it up before I have it put on the market.

Last edited by bgmv90; 03-05-2009 at 02:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 02:22 PM

71 posts, read 511,045 times
Consult with a Realtor who specializes in staging or works with a stager. Especially in this market, the most important thing you can do is properly "stage" your home. Take out smaller furniture to make the rooms look bigger. Pack up any personal items like family pictures.

I have seen clients make a huge difference in their homes after staging and it works! Homes staged properly will sell faster for more money than homes that have not.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:33 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,493,689 times
I agree.. have sold 4 homes. Take any clutter out of the house, unfortunately, you almost have to make the house "not yours" anymore.
It is a difficult thing to do when you have children,but it needs to be done,especially in today's market.
Remove all personal items as mentioned above and clean,clean,clean!
I know that many people spend money on professional stagers, I don't think that is always necessary, however,they seem to work.
Be sure that your home is painted in neutral colors on the inside as well. YOU may like your blue living room,but for the sake of selling your home, neutral is the way to go.
We even repainted our daughter's room when we sold one of our homes,she was not happy about it,but luckily,the home sold quickly and she was able to have her pink room back!

Hope this helps a little...
Good Luck~

Old 03-05-2009, 03:25 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,400,511 times
Empty is good. The best thing is to neutralize and update. Neutral paint and new carpet will make a house smell and feel fresh. Make sure you have good curb appeal. Get rid of "jungle" landscaping. Paint the front door to make it pop. If your cabinets are outdated you can paint them or add hardware. You can add stainless steel kitchen appliances for about $1000.00. You just need to see what your competition is. You need to offer something more or better whether it is price or "stuff" inside.

Do you now own 2 houses? If you do the best thing you can do is price it right and move it. Don't get greedy or you could end up losing more in the long run. Check the "sales"(the ones that have sold) comps for your area and price your house accordingly. Don't go by what the houses in your area are "priced" for sale. People can ask anything they want but it doesn't mean they will get it. You have to go by the actual "sold" to see what your market can handle.

Good luck.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Empty is good. The best thing is to neutralize and update. Neutral paint and new carpet will make a house smell and feel fresh. Make sure you have good curb appeal. Get rid of "jungle" landscaping. Paint the front door to make it pop. If your cabinets are outdated you can paint them or add hardware. You can add stainless steel kitchen appliances for about $1000.00. You just need to see what your competition is. You need to offer something more or better whether it is price or "stuff" inside.

Do you now own 2 houses? If you do the best thing you can do is price it right and move it. Don't get greedy or you could end up losing more in the long run. Check the "sales"(the ones that have sold) comps for your area and price your house accordingly. Don't go by what the houses in your area are "priced" for sale. People can ask anything they want but it doesn't mean they will get it. You have to go by the actual "sold" to see what your market can handle.

Good luck.
This is all true however,unfortunately in today's market,even the right price isn't moving them.
We have a house on the market right now,has been on since last Summer and has been reduced 4x now, now it is actually below comps that have sold. The house is brand new (built in Summer 07),tons of upgrades,etc... had to move due to a relo.
As far as the comps,there are only TWO that have sold in the past 6 months that we can even compare with.
The market is rough and it all depends on where you are how bad it really is.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:53 PM

20 posts, read 56,706 times
Don't hire illegals to move your stuff. They can't be trusted.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:15 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,400,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
This is all true however,unfortunately in today's market,even the right price isn't moving them.
We have a house on the market right now,has been on since last Summer and has been reduced 4x now, now it is actually below comps that have sold. The house is brand new (built in Summer 07),tons of upgrades,etc... had to move due to a relo.
As far as the comps,there are only TWO that have sold in the past 6 months that we can even compare with.
The market is rough and it all depends on where you are how bad it really is.
I wish you luck. If only 2 sold that are close to yours in the past 6 months you are in a really bad market. Can you rent it? Is it below comps that have sold this month? If not then the comps are too old. I watch one market to buy and sell in and "nothing" is selling and most of the houses are going back to the banks. Better to drop the price as low as you can and get out rather than chase the market down and lose it.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:41 PM

actually we just put it as a rental option this week. Many homes in our area are doing the same.
We are in the mid-atlantic and hit really hard by the pricing boom and drop. It is terrible and scary.
So many people went into situations they shouldn't have and there are so many foreclosures around us.
It is sad,we are in our 40's,responsible people and never expected to be relocated like this now.
Unfortunately, the company doesn't purchase the homes as part of the relo,so we are on our own with that. They did help with the closing of our new home in our new area,which is a help of course,but we are devestated about what we may loose on our other home. It is beautiful and just a shame.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:53 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,273,634 times
Clean, curb appeal, good neighborhood. Paint the intereior if necessary, clean the carpets. You or a friend needs to check the house daily for signs of attempted illegal entry. There should be a card left from every realor who showed the house. Realtors are not always good at locking doors or turning off lights. You could put a light on a timer at night. What ever upi do... DO NOT let your homeowners policy lapse. And do notify your insurance agent when you vacate. Do not give any realtor all of the keys to the house until it is sold. You have to be present for the closing anyway. .

Old 03-06-2009, 04:26 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,537,543 times
Good advice so far, but I'm moving this to the Real Estate forum......

Frank D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate