U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 12:50 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,245,469 times

Advertisements

About ten years ago, my brother was a realtor and pointed me to a Yahoo Real Estate search engine where I could enter an address or street and get sales records dating back decades. It worked for addresses in various cities and states that I had interest in (including Chicago, Atlanta and Boston).

That page/function no longer seems to exist.

I do see online records of previous sales via the local newspaper website, but they don't seem to date back that far and you can't search by address/street, you have to sift through everything in an entire zipcode.

Does anyone know of a site that offers decades worth of sales history on a street by street level? I'm trying to track what the local appreciation rate was pre-1999.

Thanks for any help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 01:03 PM

7,238 posts, read 20,381,331 times
Texas is a non-disclosure state, so no site like that exists for TExas.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:05 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,944,917 times
Cohdane,

Realtors have access to this data via their MLS reports. Here in my locality I can get the appreciation trends broken down not just by county and city, but also by general neighborhood areas.
Any Realtor worth their salt should have the market trends for the area they work in.

Sandy

Old 11-22-2008, 05:18 PM

Would it be a pain in the butt for a realtor to get the area price trends from about '93 to '99?

I'm disappointed this info doesn't seem to still be online. Why would some states not allow disclosure of this? Isn't it public record?

Old 11-22-2008, 05:30 PM

20,964 posts, read 42,002,504 times
For trends that old, you might talk to a title company. They've probably already got it figured out for you.

As for why Texas doesn't have it available online, Texas is, as said, a nondisclosure state. We don't even have to tell the tax appraiser what we paid for our houses.

Think of it as a right to privacy, if you will. (Shocking, I know, in this day and age where everyone seems to feel entitled to any private information about anyone that they might be curious about, but there it is.)

Old 11-22-2008, 05:39 PM

Actually, if not even the tax man is allowed to know, then I can appreciate that. I'm a big fan of privacy. I thought it was a case of it being public, but-not-too-public, record.

It is weird being able to casually look these things up. I make a point of only using it for understanding pricing on areas/homes I'm considering.

Tangential, but funny: A good friend of mine has an autistic son who is musically gifted. After they bought their new house, they had family and friends over for a house warming and the son sat down to play and sing a song about the new house. Of course, everyone paid rapt attention. When he got to the chorus ("everybody sing along!), it was a very catchy phrasing of the exact purchase price of the house!

Everybody still laughs about it and now the house is nicknamed by its purchase price. Which everyone can still sing.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:16 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,944,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
Would it be a pain in the butt for a realtor to get the area price trends from about '93 to '99?
It would't be a hassle for me. Are you looing for stats in Washington?

Old 11-22-2008, 10:54 PM

Looking in Illinois. I have a realtor, I just don't like to make her jump through hoops over my OCD. Any legwork I can do by myself, I prefer to-- I figure when it's time to pull the trigger, she'll have plenty enough to do then.

Thanks for the offer, though-- I'm always impressed with how helpful people on the forums are. I've learned a lot here.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:18 AM

22,769 posts, read 29,023,476 times
I know that here in NC, I get all past sales data through my county's tax assessor website, and it goes back to the mid-70's.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:45 AM

63,145 posts, read 42,908,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
Looking in Illinois. I have a realtor, I just don't like to make her jump through hoops over my OCD. Any legwork I can do by myself, I prefer to-- I figure when it's time to pull the trigger, she'll have plenty enough to do then.

Thanks for the offer, though-- I'm always impressed with how helpful people on the forums are. I've learned a lot here.
Just curious what 15 year old data does for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>