Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many houses do buyers look at?
Under 5 3 4.69%
5-9 12 18.75%
10-14 18 28.13%
15-19 7 10.94%
20-24 9 14.06%
25-29 3 4.69%
30-34 2 3.13%
over 35 10 15.63%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 09:17 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,094 times

Advertisements

I'm curious as to how many houses most people look at before they make a decision to buy. So, for agent - how many houses do your clients look at, on average? For others - how many did you look at before you bought your last house?

(and side questions for agents - about how many would it take before you get annoyed with your buyers? What is the most houses any one client asked to see?)

Last edited by rubytue; 02-25-2007 at 09:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 09:53 AM

265 posts, read 1,548,558 times
I'd say it depends on how detailed a buyer's criteria is. IMHO the more information you give a realtor, the fewer houses you will probably look at, simply because more will be eliminated as being not suitable. I'd hope that a good realtor would appreciate being told "I want a house with at least 4 bedrooms, at least 3 of them being on the second floor, a 2-car garage, no swimming pool, not located on a main road, with 2000 or more square feet, and it must have a full basement" rather than just "I want a decent sized house with 4 bedrooms" .... because the criteria narrow the number of Houses To Look At considerably.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:09 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
I look until I find the right one.

When I bought my first house I looked at 19. I went back for a second look at 3, then took my husband to look at 2 (he hates house hunting).

When I bought this house I looked at 6 with one agent who was seriously rubbing me the wrong way. I looked at 13 more with a different agent over a 2 day period.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:12 AM

42 posts, read 204,430 times
I'm an agent and I typically send a client everything in MLS, ie., if they want a 4 bedroom 2.5 bath in Lithonia, GA ranging from 300-$400,000 ...I send them every property that pops up in thier criteria....I then ask them to go through the list and pick 15 properties that they may like... and we go from there. My clients will normally dwindle that list down to 10..... they are going to buy from that list.....Don't be afraid to tell your clients to go and check out the neigborhoods without you....they will normally see a house online they like, but not like the yard, etc... it makes my list get shorter. just my two cents...

Old 02-25-2007, 10:57 AM

2,636 posts, read 7,432,146 times
I'm an agent as well, and I sent them everything on the MLS that come close to what they want. I send them in batches of about a dozen, depending on their criteria. I ask them what ones they like or don't and take it from there. If they are local, I encourage them to go drive around the neighborhoods at different times of the day. If they are going from out of town (NYC) and have their list down to 2 or 3, I make appointments to go into the homes at different times of the day.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:14 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,094 times
Now that my answer isn't the first one, I'll explain a bit

My first house, I think I looked at 6 or 8. It was just me, I had a small budget for the area, and I pretty much bought one of the two townhouses I saw in my range (other options were condos).

Now I'm married and my husband and I have relocated to a new area (renting while we look). I feel like our agent must be getting annoyed with us (although she keeps encouraging us to keep looking if we aren't happy yet). Over the past 10 weeks we have seen about 30 places. (we've done some open houses, and the first 6 were with an agent we were refered to and hated). The good news is we have now realized it will be impossible to find the *perfect* place. But I'm just curious how outside of the norm we are.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:37 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
look for basic structure, flow, form, floor plan and if it meets 90-95% of your wants and needs...

Look past paint, wallpaper, carpet, flooring, grass/no grass, window coverings, counter tops and if you are ambitious, cabinets...

Old 02-25-2007, 07:11 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
i send my clients, everything in the price range, thats on the market..why?
early on, i use to send listings on the strict criteria, they gave to me (how many bedrooms, two car garage, etc)
thru time and experience, i;ve seen buyers, fall in love with a house, that didnt fit thier strict criteria, and many times, going into a showing, im thinking this may be a waste of their time and mine,,,and after seeing the house, they want to make an offer.
i send them as many listings as i can, let THEM decide what they want, and call me foolish, i actually like showing houses, gives me an excellent feel of the market, and i always make notes of any new amenities, im not familiar with, to learn more about them. (and if i have a competing listing on the market, i can relate to a potential buyer discussing what they have already looked at(and why my listing is a better choice,,lol)

Old 02-26-2007, 05:06 PM

198 posts, read 802,136 times
As a realtor, I will ask husbands and wives to each tell me their top 3 priorities. With them having that fresh in their minds, I then send everything "close" in the MLS. I also tell them about some that have those qualities that I have already been in. To answer your question about how many? However, many it takes....

Old 02-26-2007, 07:22 PM

279 posts, read 1,859,442 times
You look at as many as you want to. Don't worry if your agent is annoyed with you. He/she has to put up with you for a few months, but you have live in your house, hopefully forever.

The BIGGEST mistake I made was settling on not having 4 bedrooms. I let all of the fancy upgrades woo me. Who cares if my fireplace is beautiful, my daily life of having 2 children share a room is hell. My point is don't settle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate