Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

prospective home buyer seeking information on home inspections, home inspection prices, importance of home inspections, how to find quality inspector

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 10:22 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,302,661 times

Advertisements

how important is it to get a home inspection and how should i go about finding a good home inspector ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 10:48 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
JFR-it is very important. Your realtor should be able to give you a few names to choose from. Be careful-get someone reputable.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:49 AM

1,177 posts, read 4,155,258 times
I consider a home inspection absolutely critical when purchasing a home, whether it is a new or older home. If you're working with an experienced full time Realtor that you trust then ask them for recommendations of two or three good home inspectors. You should expect that the inspector is thorough, prompt, presents an easily understandable written and well documented report, is willing to discuss any issues on the report with you, and holds appropriate state/national certifications.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:51 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
An inspection and a survey are very important unless you are into construction and can verify the condition of the home yourself. Try not to use an inspector recommended by either realtor, ask around to friends who recently purchased and see who they used and if they were satisfied. There may be a website for your area listing certified inspectors.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:02 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
how important is it to get a home inspection and how should i go about finding a good home inspector ?
Why do you ask? What do you think the answers will be?

Old 11-27-2008, 11:03 AM

1,177 posts, read 4,155,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
An inspection and a survey are very important unless you are into construction and can verify the condition of the home yourself. Try not to use an inspector recommended by either realtor, ask around to friends who recently purchased and see who they used and if they were satisfied. There may be a website for your area listing certified inspectors.
If you are working with a good Realtor that you trust then I think they are an excellent source for inspector recommendations. If you don't trust them for this type of recommendation then you need to change Realtors.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:09 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,302,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Why do you ask? What do you think the answers will be?

the reason i'm asking is because we are moving out of state and i didn't know that a realetor could help us with that. i have just heard so many horror stories about home inspectors that give you nothing but a good screwing. that's why i ask.

Old 11-27-2008, 02:21 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbone View Post
If you are working with a good Realtor that you trust then I think they are an excellent source for inspector recommendations. If you don't trust them for this type of recommendation then you need to change Realtors.
I'm with gbone here.

My clients benefit from the fact that I routinely see many inspection reports, from both sides of the transaction.
If they want more than one inspector to select from, I know several very good ones.
I also know inspectors, and see reports, that make me cringe due to the ineptitude of the inspector either in identifying issues, or describing issues.

All home inspectors in North Carolina must be licensed. That doesn't guarantee skill or diligence.
Some of them (Like some real estate agents. That gene pool thing...) are, frankly, idiots. But they all have families who want to see them get work, and many of them have "fans" including former clients who do not know what a home inspection is.
Be careful to know why someone refers the inspector to you. You might be talking to his Aunt Susie...

Old 11-27-2008, 11:13 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,203,461 times
Also, come inspection time it is very important you attend your inspection. So you can look over their shoulder. Also, you can ask questions as you go along. They are a wealth of knowledge!

And also think about getting the sewer scoped. And if radon is in the area you should also get a radon test.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:02 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
...and don't forget a survey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate