Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 06:03 AM

183 posts, read 686,184 times

Advertisements

We are looking at a house built in the early 1900's that appraised last year for $216,000 (which seems EXTREMELY low for the area), they have the house listed at $329,000 (a little high, but not too bad). If we were to purchase this home and have it appraised for our loan, where would the appraisal # fall? It can't go up more than 10% from the following year correct? FYI, I'm in TX. So if the house appraises at around $235ish, what would happen with the loan? The list price is roughly $100,000 more than the appraisal, does that effect anything? And as for paying property taxes, our tax basis would be the $235ish number, right? Which for us would be VERY low. I hate trying to calculate property taxes in TX, it was soooo much easier (and taxes were less) when we lived in CO.

Thanks for your help (even if I do sound like a complete idiot)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 08:01 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times
I'd be shocked if your bank would loan you more than the appraisal of the house. The house you are buying is their collateral in case of foreclosure.

Friends wanted to buy a lot but it did not appraise for what the seller was asking so they could not get the loan.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:19 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
The appraisal would depend on the same comps that your agent (and, presumably, the listing agent) used to establish the price and your offer.

The tax appraisal is usually way off. I only look at tax appraisals when I want to see how much above the tax appraisal the majority of comps in the area are selling, on a percentage basis. Since Texas is a nondisclosure state, by law you don't have to tell the tax office how much you paid (though they will ask, trust me). So the bank's appraiser won't be going by the tax appraisal, either.

If the appraisal falls below the price you've agreed to, you would have the choice of foregoing the house, lowering the price (if the seller agreed - not likely if it was significant), or coming up with the remainder yourself.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:21 AM

183 posts, read 686,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
coming up with the remainder yourself.
By "remainder" do you mean the difference between the appraisal amount and the sale amount? For example, if we purchased the house for $300,000 and the house appraised for $220,000, would we have to come up with $80,000? By "come up with" do you mean cash, or an additional loan? Sorry for being such an idiot

Old 12-07-2008, 09:36 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,992,867 times
I believe the 10% cap on increases in appraised value is specific to the owner, and when the property changes hands the appraised value can be reset at market value without regard to any cap.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springbean View Post
We are looking at a house built in the early 1900's that appraised last year for $216,000 (which seems EXTREMELY low for the area), they have the house listed at $329,000 (a little high, but not too bad). If we were to purchase this home and have it appraised for our loan, where would the appraisal # fall? It can't go up more than 10% from the following year correct? FYI, I'm in TX. So if the house appraises at around $235ish, what would happen with the loan? The list price is roughly $100,000 more than the appraisal, does that effect anything? And as for paying property taxes, our tax basis would be the $235ish number, right? Which for us would be VERY low. I hate trying to calculate property taxes in TX, it was soooo much easier (and taxes were less) when we lived in CO.

Thanks for your help (even if I do sound like a complete idiot)
That 10% cap is for the current owner. If you bought at a higher price then that is the new valuation and the 10% cap starts with you at that price.

If you agree to $329K and the appraisal comes in at $235K then you owe the difference at closing as the loan would not be for more than the appraisal.

You want to make your offer contingent on an appraisal at or below the sale price else you have to pay the difference.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:19 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
What Austin-Willy said is the correct answer. The current property tax appraissel is probably the result of capped limit from an over 65/disabled owner or just years of the 10% limit. If you purchase the home, the county may reset the tax appraissel value to the new purchase price and the 10% cap will start over again. Also realize that you can deduct the amount for the homestead exemption when figuring potential taxes.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:41 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
There's the tax appraisal, and then there's the market appraisal, which are two different things if there are exemptions in place. That's why you'll sometimes see MLS information that says "estimated tax" and "actual tax" - the estimated tax is without exemptions based on the market value appraisal, the actual tax based on the tax value with them.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:47 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,992,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You want to make your offer contingent on an appraisal at or below the sale price else you have to pay the difference.
That, or you can have a financing contingency that says you don't have to put more than X% down. If I'm a seller, I would require that it be characterized as a financing contingency because I don't like the idea of letting the buyer walk just because they made a bad deal on the price, even if the end result (with a finanincg contingency) is the same.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:58 AM

1,177 posts, read 4,155,258 times
[quote=HappyTexan;6459816]That 10% cap is for the current owner. If you bought at a higher price then that is the new valuation and the 10% cap starts with you at that price.

If you agree to $329K and the appraisal comes in at $235K then you owe the difference at closing as the loan would not be for more than the appraisal.

You want to make your offer contingent on an appraisal at or below the sale price else you have to pay the difference.[/QUOTE]

I think the last sentence was a misstatement. The sale price should be at or below the appraisal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate