Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 12:04 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,088 times

Advertisements

I listed my house with a RE company and had no choice in selecting the RE agent. In the months she had this listing she only showed it a few times, but to my amazement, she couldn't answer the most basic prospective buyers questions. I had intended to list with another agency at the end of my contract, but while having a yard sale, I found a buyer. It was on a holiday and he loved the house and said it was exactly what his daughter was looking for. He came back with his wife and daughter to look over the house. Two days later they told me they wanted to buy it.
We discussed the RE commission and knew that I was obligated to pay it but we both thought that in the fact that she did no work, not even financing, she would be willing to take a reduced commission. No way, she wanted it all. I talked with the office manager who told me it was beyond her control. I would never do business with that RE company again.
I suggest that anybody entering into a contract with a RE agency include a termination clause or a shared commission clause in case the owner secures a buyer.
If they are unwilling to do that then walk away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 12:48 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,992,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
My contract gives either party the right to terminate, for any reason, with an agreed upon time of notice.
I think that's awesome. Particularly if the notice period is reasonable, which I bet it is.

I wouldn't even mind having a seller termination right that requires the seller to reimburse out-of-pocket expenses, so long as they are approved in advance. Obviously it needs to protect the agent/broker too, which is only fair.

I just don't like the idea of being held hostage under an agreement that doesn't require the agent to do a good job for the seller. For example, the C21 agreement that I linked to has a couple dozen paragraphs about what the seller is obligated to do and what the agent has a right to do, but only one sentence about what the agent is obligated to do: "Broker's sole duty is to effect a sale of the property..." That agreement doesn't give the seller any substantive rights.

Perhaps I'm wrong when I assume that the agreements that I have seen and have been asked to sign are typical. And as I said before, I don't hold them against the agents, who by and large are honest and trying hard to do a good job. But the contractual relationship that is set up by some of these agreements is really unfair IMHO, and I think the brokers who choose to use those agreements are taking advantage of consumers.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:35 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,790,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I listed my house with a RE company and had no choice in selecting the RE agent. In the months she had this listing she only showed it a few times, but to my amazement, she couldn't answer the most basic prospective buyers questions. I had intended to list with another agency at the end of my contract, but while having a yard sale, I found a buyer. It was on a holiday and he loved the house and said it was exactly what his daughter was looking for. He came back with his wife and daughter to look over the house. Two days later they told me they wanted to buy it.
I've seen that happen more times than I can count, especially on cheaper houses where the agents don't want to give the same level of service for the same commission rate. If they're only getting $6K instead of $18K, why should they bother?

I was looking for houses this summer, and was absolutely stunned at how many agents didn't list addresses, didn't answer their phone, or took a week to return a call for information.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:38 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
I've seen that happen more times than I can count, especially on cheaper houses where the agents don't want to give the same level of service for the same commission rate. If they're only getting $6K instead of $18K, why should they bother?

I was looking for houses this summer, and was absolutely stunned at how many agents didn't list addresses, didn't answer their phone, or took a week to return a call for information.
Don't worry, that kind of behavior bothers the good agents as well.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:56 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
The OP didn't state that it went both ways, but I'd be very surprised if it didn't. vec101, is there a provision in there for you to recoup attorneys fees if you win?
Did not see one - I guess they just assume they would win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate