Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 07:15 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,781,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltzman143 View Post
Maybe waiting is indeed best.

Arlington, Va.: Good time to buy a house or bad time?

Always depends on location. If you are from Arlington, VA (I myself grew up in Arlington, VA so I know the area well).

South Arlington Prices were much more inflated than North Arlington Virginia prices.

Schools are much better in North Arlington Va than South Arlington VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 06:35 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
In some places a 3br ranch for that money is STILL a good deal...
Maybe on the French Riviera.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
It's the right time for me to buy. We're getting a good interest rate, the house is big and cheap-for this area-and we plan to live there many a long day. I'm thrilled, and we waited over three years for this 'right time' for us to buy!
Congratulations!

Old 01-02-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
If you can comfortably afford a car and have no 'plan' to sell it at profit, or have at least done some basic analysis of the potential for leasing instead of buying I contend it does not matter if you buy at $30,000, $27,000. or $25,000 -- all are more than acceptable.

Does anyone really believe that paying 20% more for something is OK just because you don't plan to sell it for a profit? It doesn't make sense to overpay for a commodity even if you don't view it as an investment.
Not me. I could do something else with that money, like invest it or buy something else.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:55 AM

93 posts, read 258,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildlifeguy View Post
KC you're absolutely right. After these cash buyers have done their due diligence they made an informed decision to purchase. As a land professional educated in the local Texas market, those that have cash and find the "hidden treasures" can and will most likely dictate policy.

In the San Antonio market, residential properties are holding their values and in the rural market the same holds true for land prices especially in the Texas Hill Country.

You're considered smart if you do your homework and NOT follow the herd.
hey wild, i'm one of those who did his homework and NOT followed the herd... just purchased a 4br house (circa 1847) with a 2 br cottage and 2 car garage in rural nj... CASH/outright. the property is tucked into a sleepy little town established in the 1740's, well before this country was established.

from the way i stumbled upon it, brokered the deal, right up to the closing, everything i did was "unconventional". the property was sold to settle the estate of a 96 year old woman and although all the structure and mechanics of the property are solid, it needs (during the next few years) some serious upgrades... electrical, roofs, septic, kitchens/baths, etc. while removing cabinetry and relocating the kitchen sink, i came accross newspapers (stratigically placed) from 1970... i'm fairly certain the last "updating" done to this house.

i paid 75k cash for this property with a TAX ACCESSED value of 200k. i've searched and found comp properties in the area which have sold and/or been listed from 250-425k. i have approximately 75-100k to bring this diamond in plain view into 2009 and am struggling with how to go about doing so... borrow or go it alone (over time). i'm in another forum and being told do not borrow... you'll lose the property. i very confident i can pull a loan off, without any problem. if interested, my post is just bought a house cash/outright need advice.

anyhow, sorry for hijacking the thread but i had to respond to your comments about finding "hidden treasures" and not following the "herd"... as i put it, too many "SHEEPLE" out there!!! i totally agree and will add... you need to know where YOU are going not where everyone else is "gravitating" towards. thanks, hope all is well. have a good one.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:02 PM

406 posts, read 1,359,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildlifeguy View Post
KC you're absolutely right. After these cash buyers have done their due diligence they made an informed decision to purchase. As a land professional educated in the local Texas market, those that have cash and find the "hidden treasures" can and will most likely dictate policy.

In the San Antonio market, residential properties are holding their values and in the rural market the same holds true for land prices especially in the Texas Hill Country.

You're considered smart if you do your homework and NOT follow the herd.
i agree, as an investor, i can tell you i am excited to buy more property. i am waiting until the banks unfreeze some of their money and loan it out. i have my eyes set in a few areas and spend most of my day watching the banks, reading articles, and researching specific tax breaks dealing with areas i am interested in. once they start loaning, prices will rise again. for them to start loaning, we will need a stronger economy. i think all of the doomsday prophecies about our economy are silly. yes the market might crash again in 2009, but this is a perception of our economy. we need a return to privately held companies. anyway, i think for some people this is a great time to buy, but i am waiting for at least another 6 months. keep an eye on the good deals because they will get better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate