Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 10:17 AM

634 posts, read 1,558,705 times

Advertisements

Under the Texas Apartment Association Lease the answer would be no. Someone has to pay the rent until his stuff is completly moved out, so they can re-lease it. I do not know about the deposit, that would depend on the circumstances (damages,etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 10:27 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,755,376 times
The original poster said that the apartment complex is trying to hold the son (who was listed as the emergency contact) liable for paying the remainder of the lease.

I don't see anything in the OP's question about who pays rent until the apartment is vacated. That's real straight forward. I also don't see anything about the son living in the apartment or whose name is on the lease. I'm guessing he lives with his other parent.

It looks to me that the apartment complex wants to get paid for the apartment for the full length of the lease and will demand payment from anyone they can. That's wrong if they are demanding payment from people who aren't on the lease. Being listed as an emergency contact doesn't make you liable for someone elses debts.

Old 12-25-2008, 05:08 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
It's a sad thing that our society has come to the point that a landlord would consider haranguing a son for payment of rent not yet used. He should be spending his time trying to get a tenant to replace the deceased one.
You should see what my grandma's apartment management wanted to do when she needed to break her lease in order to move into a nursing home. For an old woman suffering and dying from three kinds of cancer, they wanted her to pay off the remainder of the lease. I don't remember all of the details, but somehow, eventually it was reduced to her having to pay for just an additional month or two (as per state law perhaps).

Old 12-26-2008, 06:22 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
You should see what my grandma's apartment management wanted to do when she needed to break her lease in order to move into a nursing home. For an old woman suffering and dying from three kinds of cancer, they wanted her to pay off the remainder of the lease. I don't remember all of the details, but somehow, eventually it was reduced to her having to pay for just an additional month or two (as per state law perhaps).
I understand that situations are different, but what if an apartment complex has 1 death, 2 moving to a nursing home, 2 others lost their job, 1 has a divorce.....

So why should the other party feel compassion in all cases, although they probable feel compassion but the reality is that the people working at the apartment complex also need to be paid and not every sad story is a true story...if you hear how much crap people make up to get out of contracts. I understand if a apartment complex just sticks to the contracts to keep away from discrimination lawsuits, if they let some one get out of a lease and another not......isn't this the Country of lawsuits?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate