Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2008, 03:36 PM

99 posts, read 345,891 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to an apartment complex and have a question.
There is a ceiling fan in our bedroom and instead of the wiring being in the walls, it is totally exposed and hangs down and plugs into the socket.
I am really concerned about this because my son is 4 months old and I fear for when he will be crawling/walking and might pull on this cord!
My partner's brother visited and said that it is not even in code to have the fan wired like this, and I'm wondering if this is true.

Forgive me if this is a totally silly topic to bring up, I tried googling but couldn't find the answer to my question.
Thanks CDers!

Last edited by Bo; 12-24-2008 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: Moved from San Antonio forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 03:44 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,155,258 times
Just call the City Department that handles codes where you live and I think you will get the information you are looking for. Some codes vary by locality.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:47 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
if you're within the city, call code compliance and ask them. Code Compliance Division
I personally would be pretty upset if that was somehow within code.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:57 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
I'm pretty sure that in most jurisdictions, anything that plugs into a socket and is UL listed is going to be OK. As for the safety of the infant, is every other thing that plugs into a wall outlet "against code"?

What if the child pulls out any other plug in fixture? There are child proof covers that prevent child access to plug in fixtures.

A safe and happy New Year to all!

Old 12-24-2008, 04:38 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,753,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceofjess View Post
I recently moved to an apartment complex and have a question.
There is a ceiling fan in our bedroom and instead of the wiring being in the walls, it is totally exposed and hangs down and plugs into the socket.
I am really concerned about this because my son is 4 months old and I fear for when he will be crawling/walking and might pull on this cord!
My partner's brother visited and said that it is not even in code to have the fan wired like this, and I'm wondering if this is true.

Forgive me if this is a totally silly topic to bring up, I tried googling but couldn't find the answer to my question.
Thanks CDers!
Is the fan and cord his a homemade job or was the fan purchased with a fleixble cord?

The National Electric Code (which most jursidictions have adopted) has specific requirements on what kind of items can have flexible cords. Section 400.7(A)8 says this arrangement would be allowed if the appliance had been designed for this purpose and if the fan is attached in a way that it can be removed readily.

So I'd say that if it's a homemade job this would not pass inspection. I'd also say that if it is permenantly attached to the ceiling this would not pass inspection - the fan would need a means to be easily removed as required.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:12 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Practically easier to fix than worry about.

First off try to get the LL to fix it.

Second go buy a couple of pieces of surface conduit and stick them up to contain the wire. Then you don't have to worry about the kid. Any big hard ware store for less than $15.

It is likely not to code but that is a long and non rewarding path to a fix.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:39 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,753,241 times
As a professional engineer, I do not recommend making unpermitted changes to the electrical system of an apartment, and especially ones that do not conform to the code. And I think that suggesting making illegal modifications is really bad advice for real estate agents to provide.

As a multifamily residence, most local jursidictions will require any changes made to the electrical system first receive a permit to make the change and have a licensed electrician make the change. Apartment complexes are classified as commerical buildings.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:56 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
As a professional engineer, I do not recommend making unpermitted changes to the electrical system of an apartment, and especially ones that do not conform to the code. And I think that suggesting making illegal modifications is really bad advice for real estate agents to provide.

As a multifamily residence, most local jursidictions will require any changes made to the electrical system first receive a permit to make the change and have a licensed electrician make the change. Apartment complexes are classified as commerical buildings.
I am an electrical engineer with 40 years experience. I recommended no change to the electrical system.

Your discussion is impractical garbage of the pontifical sort. You really think a landlord of a lower end apartment is going to pay any attention to that sort of braying?

Maybe the Lady should go out and hire a consulting engineer to do a report on the alleged code violation? Than a law firm to force compliance?

Please. The object is to keep the kid from getting shocked or pulling the fan down on his head.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:11 PM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
I have little kids,
and what I used to do was to place something big in front of it and there should be no problem until they get big enough to move it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate