Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 07:45 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael11747 View Post
it is priced to sell, and realtors around here don't work that hard. i have a blacklist of dead beats which i share with my colleagues and likewise. i honestly don't mind paying 6%, but when someone tells me there is no negotiations, i can't take them seriously.

if on the other hand, this guy were to do what the previous poster mentioned, i would gladly pay him 6%. i guess i just posted this question because i have never run into a non-negotiable term in real estate.
Really? So you would rather have someone negotiating for you that can't even negotiate for themselves? Sounds like this agent is simply a tough negotiator and that ain't all bad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 08:32 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Really? So you would rather have someone negotiating for you that can't even negotiate for themselves? Sounds like this agent is simply a tough negotiator and that ain't all bad!
That's what I was thinking - if they can't stand up for their own price, how well do you think they'll stand up for yours?

Old 12-29-2008, 08:41 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,879 times
I don't negotiate my commissions either. It's because I know I'm worth the 6% and that I'll get the job done. If you're looking for a Realtor that's starving and willing to take less, well, they might be starving because they're not any good.

Regardless of what you hear in the news, some of us are still doing very well for ourselves because we're good at what we do.

You said you can sell it yourself, so why are you on here complaining. Go sell it for yourself. Don't get down on Realtors that will sell themselves for cheap.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:18 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,640 times
Why don't you sell it yourself or use a discount/flat fee broker?

You'll probably still have to pay the 3% "buyer's agent" commission anyway but you might pay thousands less to the selling agent.

If you are well informed on recent selling prices in your area (and a discount/flat fee broker can provide all the data for you) and know that you are at the right price point then it's your decision whether to accept an offer or not.

The key is having it priced correctly and knowing what your competion is and what your competition sold for.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:38 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post
Why don't you sell it yourself or use a discount/flat fee broker?

You'll probably still have to pay the 3% "buyer's agent" commission anyway but you might pay thousands less to the selling agent.

If you are well informed on recent selling prices in your area (and a discount/flat fee broker can provide all the data for you) and know that you are at the right price point then it's your decision whether to accept an offer or not.

The key is having it priced correctly and knowing what your competion is and what your competition sold for.
If you agree things may sell faster or for more money with a greater pool of buyers then you may also see the benefit in selecting the Realtor that will get the greatest exposure. Is your bottom line more important than the commission you pay?

Old 12-29-2008, 01:32 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
If you agree things may sell faster or for more money with a greater pool of buyers then you may also see the benefit in selecting the Realtor that will get the greatest exposure. Is your bottom line more important than the commission you pay?
Internet Buyer vs. Traditional Home Buyer | RISMedia

From the above link:

86% of home buyers started using the Internet as part of their process before they started looking for a specific home; the other 14% did after they started looking, but before they contacted a real estate agent; that means that 100% of buyers surveyed started looking at homes first, agents second

Most buyers are going to use the internet to find property and as long as the home is listed on the MLS they'll find it.

I'd be interested to see statistics from the agents here for homes that were sold without the buyer finding the property online first.

At $475,000 why pay $28,500 to sell when you could pay $17,250 (3% buyer's agent commission and $3,000 flat fee with a discount broker).

Old 12-29-2008, 01:44 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,052 times
Quote:

From the above link:

86% of home buyers started using the Internet as part of their process before they started looking for a specific home; the other 14% did after they started looking, but before they contacted a real estate agent; that means that 100% of buyers surveyed started looking at homes first, agents second

Most buyers are going to use the internet to find property and as long as the home is listed on the MLS they'll find it.

I'd be interested to see statistics from the agents here for homes that were sold without the buyer finding the property online first.

At $475,000 why pay $28,500 to sell when you could pay $17,250 (3% buyer's agent commission and $3,000 flat fee with a discount broker).
Interesting post. Yes a huge number of people find their own house off the internet, us included. Our agent confirmed this when she said they don't even fool with paper anymore.

Going with a flat fee brokerage may be worthwhile if you want to deal with the paperwork and all the showings on your own, and the head-aches of knowing whether a potential buyer is qualified.

Then there is the FSBO for a fee in our city. It looks like some have had success using it. Some will say they accept a buyers agent and some listings will state no realtors period. A house going FSBO in my neighborhood didn't even hang a sign and they sold. It's always stated going FSBO will take longer, but my brother and neighbor did it back when the market was a little better, and had quick and easy sales.

Next time around I think we will definitely go solo!

Old 12-29-2008, 02:46 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:

From the above link:

It's easy to misinterpret this statistic, so be careful.
It says that 86% started looking at the internet for a house. It does NOT say that that 86% FOUND their house without an agent. Just that they started looking. Same for the other 14%. This isn't (or SHOULDN'T be) news to anyone. When they first start the process, people are looking for a house, for a neighborhood, or a town. Very few people start the process thinking "Ohh this house is getting too small for us, we'd better see if we can find a good agent." It's much more like "Ohh this house is too small for us, let's see what's out there that we might be able to buy." And so they head to the internet.
The question that you want answered is "What percentage of buyers found their homes on thier own, without help from a real estate agent." That's going to be a much lower percentage.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:53 PM

406 posts, read 1,359,613 times
Quote:

From the above link:

exactly. this may offend a few out there, but i have yet to meet an agent worth 6%. i will probably pay at most 2.5% to a buyer's agent, and i will sell it myself thank you. i really don't have the time, and for a property like this, i would let a realtor handle it fo 5%. it is priced to sell because i need to free up some credit. i won't pay a 3000 fee for a broker either... i bet if i put this on MLS i could get rid of it by fall. maybe earlier because it is adjacent to a university.

sorry i don't have a high opinion of realtors. i have a worse opinion of lawyers, yet i am not insulting their intelligence, just questioning their redeemable characteristics. the realtors i know are the greediest people i know. no offense...

Old 12-29-2008, 03:03 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael11747 View Post
exactly. this may offend a few out there, but i have yet to meet an agent worth 6%. i will probably pay at most 2.5% to a buyer's agent, and i will sell it myself thank you. i really don't have the time, and for a property like this, i would let a realtor handle it fo 5%. it is priced to sell because i need to free up some credit. i won't pay a 3000 fee for a broker either... i bet if i put this on MLS i could get rid of it by fall. maybe earlier because it is adjacent to a university.

sorry i don't have a high opinion of realtors. i have a worse opinion of lawyers, yet i am not insulting their intelligence, just questioning their redeemable characteristics. the realtors i know are the greediest people i know. no offense...
And here we have it again, someone saying "I don't mean to offend anyone" and "no offense", when it's clear that they have every intention of saying something VERY offensive.

Sorry, no free pass - you were offensive (and I don't offend easily), you judge an entire profession basically because you don't want to pay for something that you say you can do yourself.

By all means, go ahead and do it yourself! Just don't badmouth those who do it professionally in order to justify your decision to yourself and others or to try to get someone else to do it for you for less than market value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate