Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 12:20 PM

13 posts, read 59,678 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I have a big dilemma as a first time home buyer. A property I saw with buyer's agent is everything anyone could want, priced low, but there is a noise nuisance, but I can tolerate.

As we walked through, I could tell he she really liked it and he is very pick and has bought several houses in the past.

My agent told me next day there was an offer and 'best not to get into multiple offer situations and move on"....I called the listing agent who said there was no offers...I'm confused, we really like our agent, but since I'm not experienced, I don't know how hurt, suspicious I should be. I want this house, but would love some feedback you can offer. thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 12:28 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,170,990 times
Tell your agent that you want to submit an offer anyway, and to ask at that time if there are other offers and how long you should expect the seller to take to give you a response.

The real issue here, though, is that you evidently already did not trust your agent enough that you felt compelled to call the listing agent. Why is that?

Old 01-02-2009, 01:10 PM

15,490 posts, read 40,182,593 times
So it sounds like you are concerned that your real estate agent wants to purchase the property for himself. I agree with THL. If you were that suspicious that you needed to call the listing agent to confirm, I think you have a serious problem.

If you really want this house, tell your agent that you want to write up an offer and see what happens. If they balk, call their principal broker. I have no doubt they would be happy to assign you to another agent who will write up an offer for you.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:01 PM

10,891 posts, read 21,844,719 times
I actually have another issue here. If the buyer agent lied to the client about an offer it needs to be reported. Besides, what agent discourages a buyer writing up an offer? I think there is some reason for the mistrust here. Call the broker in charge and discuss it with him/her. If the agent lied about an offer they should lose their license. I don't need to tell you all about agent responsibilities as it's preaching to the choir.

OP, dig deeper and see what's going on.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:55 PM

353 posts, read 1,722,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I actually have another issue here. If the buyer agent lied to the client about an offer it needs to be reported. Besides, what agent discourages a buyer writing up an offer? I think there is some reason for the mistrust here. Call the broker in charge and discuss it with him/her. If the agent lied about an offer they should lose their license. I don't need to tell you all about agent responsibilities as it's preaching to the choir.

OP, dig deeper and see what's going on.
I agree. You say your agent is a Buyer's Agent - he/she needs to working for you and should be moving heaven and earth to get that house for you if you want it! Definitely call the Broker/manager of the office your agent works for and get yourself assigned to another agent who willwork for you.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:18 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,962,778 times
Sounds really fishy. I agree you should question more and talk to the broker in charge. If your buyers agent lied then they should be brought up on at least an ethics violation with the local REALTORS assn if they are a member.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:00 PM

13 posts, read 59,678 times
Yes, he even accidentally took the lockbock keys with him into his car-- earlier he said he does this after viewing a property that's really nice. He's a very experienced agent with vacation property, etc. I thought it was odd that he kept oohing and aaahing at how nice it was, as opposed to making a pitch/discussing with me my only concern which was noise. (thx Brandon: the listing agent who claims no offer is the broker -=)

I want to do the right so this feedback is tremendous. All I know is one agent is not being forthright.

How likely is it in practice that the listing agent is the one fibbing @ no offers? I'm making sure I cover my bases, because if it's my agent, then yes, this is a big ethical issue and disheartening...

Old 01-02-2009, 09:13 PM

37 posts, read 150,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Coffey View Post
Yes, he even accidentally took the lockbock keys with him into his car-- earlier he said he does this after viewing a property that's really nice. He's a very experienced agent with vacation property, etc. I thought it was odd that he kept oohing and aaahing at how nice it was, as opposed to making a pitch/discussing with me my only concern which was noise. (thx Brandon: the listing agent who claims no offer is the broker -=)

I want to do the right so this feedback is tremendous. All I know is one agent is not being forthright.

How likely is it in practice that the listing agent is the one fibbing @ no offers? I'm making sure I cover my bases, because if it's my agent, then yes, this is a big ethical issue and disheartening...

Not sure about this one Dennis. Perhaps your buyer's agent has another client in mind to purchase the property, or maybe they're just telling the truth and the listing agent wants to try to get you to see the property with them so they can get double-commission.

Whatever the case, be sure to ask ALOT of questions of your agent.

They have an obligation to be honest and upfront with you, or else they could jeopardize their real estate license.

Hope this helps,

Moderator cut: removed signature

Last edited by Marka; 01-05-2009 at 05:29 AM..

Old 01-02-2009, 10:45 PM

10,891 posts, read 21,844,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Coffey View Post

Based on the information provided I'd almost have to assume the the buyer agent is lying. He's admitted to being unethical by taking keys from a lockbox so other agents can't show it. That's very serious strike number one.

He obviously (in your opinion) liked the property very much and took the keys for it. Then discouraged you from making an offer (again what agent discourages an offer right now). Serious strike #2.

What list agent would lie about not having an offer? I would any listing agent right now anywhere would love to get an offer of some sort. Why would they lie about it? (The only thing I can think of if he's close with someone and trying to double dip. Than that agent is also unethical.)

It sounds as if he wants if for himself, and friend/relative, or someone else he's been working with. I'd notify the list agent of what the agent said and I'd notify your buyer agents broker. (I hesitate to even call them your buyer agent at this point) If it's true, they need to lose their license. Taking the keys was enough to do it for me. He's exactly the type that give my profession a bad name if half of what you've said is true.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:25 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,870,652 times
Who is he and she? You went out with the agent and their spouse? Or they are a Realtor® team or something?
Either way, what Brandon has said is completely correct.
Quote:
he even accidentally took the lockbock keys with him into his car-- earlier he said he does this after viewing a property that's really nice.
So, he doesn't accidentally take keys, he TAKES keys and that is a big big no no. Myself, I would get out of the contract with the entire agency to begin with, not just the agent. If what you've said is true, you can't tell me this "successful" experienced agent doesn't have a history and his broker doesn't know about it. In my opinion, that would be highly unlikely. But, yes, as stated above you should at least speak with the broker about what has transpired.
As for being hurt, you shouldn't be hurt. You are doing what you need to do which is take care of yourself and getting yourself and honest agent that deserves the Realtor® title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate