Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 04:49 AM

14 posts, read 52,449 times

Advertisements

I am 54 yr old and looking for my ideal area to live. An area where the houses are rustic ( Log, Lindahl, Cedar, Rustic Contemporary, etc) Buy not too far out in the woods, maybe 15 - 20 minutes from a town / city of 20,000 plus. A place with all the amenities, big box stores, great restaurants, things to do. Maybe a resort area? Asheville NC? Colorado? Do you have any specific places or methods for me to use to find my nirvana? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 04:58 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,634,479 times
I don't think you will find any area where all the homes are log, cedar, etc.
There are numerous rustic areas like you are looking for where you can find that type of house though.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:50 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
Sisters, Oregon. They have city codes that require the rustic look on homes. It is close to Bend which has what you are looking for.

It's not a cheap place to live though...

Old 01-09-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Sisters, Oregon. They have city codes that require the rustic look on homes. It is close to Bend which has what you are looking for.

It's not a cheap place to live though...
I learn something new every day.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:12 PM

Sisters has a large tourism industry, and the city decided to go with an "old west" kinda theme for the city. The local coffee house is a beautiful log cabin style home.

Sisters is surrounded by the 3 sisters mountains, 3 fingered Jack (another mountain) and you can see Mt. Washington as well from there. I think the average home price is around $550,000 or so.

Go for a visit there. It is a beautiful little town...even the McDonald's is rustic looking...

Old 01-09-2009, 03:45 PM

I will be heading out to Salem sometime within the next 6 months probably.

I want to visit Mt Hood and Silver Falls when it is not 10 degrees as it was last time we were there.
Though it was fun watching everyone attempt to walk down the frozen over walkway heading down to the first of the falls.
The bodies were piled up at the bottom like cord wood.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:03 PM

61 posts, read 105,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACCAS View Post
I am 54 yr old and looking for my ideal area to live. An area where the houses are rustic ( Log, Lindahl, Cedar, Rustic Contemporary, etc) Buy not too far out in the woods, maybe 15 - 20 minutes from a town / city of 20,000 plus. A place with all the amenities, big box stores, great restaurants, things to do. Maybe a resort area? Asheville NC? Colorado? Do you have any specific places or methods for me to use to find my nirvana? Thanks

Sit down & make a more comprehensve list of what you want. For example, up above you fail to mention your weather preferences. If you hate snow -for example- you've just narrowed down the list of prospects significantly. How about water? Do you want to be near an ocean, lake, stream or puddle?. Salt or sweet? How about crime? Want to be in a cozy cabin in the woods near a clandestine methlab? Social life? Want to go somewhere where they allow multple wives? Would you like to marry your cousin? The list gets smaller & smaller.

(BTW if you answered YES to ALL of the above I just found you your dream home in Tennessee!. my invoice for the 5% finder's fee is in the mail)

Old 01-09-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I will be heading out to Salem sometime within the next 6 months probably.

I want to visit Mt Hood and Silver Falls when it is not 10 degrees as it was last time we were there.
Though it was fun watching everyone attempt to walk down the frozen over walkway heading down to the first of the falls.
The bodies were piled up at the bottom like cord wood.
The walk down to Silverfalls is steep for some people. Depends on how much hiking you do...

On Mt. Hood the hike to Paradise is really beautiful as is Trillium Lake. I can give you lots of ideas of things to check out. Just let me know!

Old 01-10-2009, 04:25 AM

14 posts, read 52,449 times
I am in the beginning stage of this quest. At this point I am open to any area that is Rustic. Although I do love the Mountains with wildlife, trails, views although I'd like to be very close to people ( educated people that "Have a Life" and are not interested in mine) that welcome newcomers. Besides people, Restaurants, Hospitols, Big Box stores etc. would be nice. I am thinking I am only going to find this in a Resort town. My upper limit is $500,000.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:58 PM

126 posts, read 688,622 times
Much of western North Carolina falls within your parameters. It's lovely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate