Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 01:19 PM

61 posts, read 105,963 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: name calling

Flippers Rule
“You don’t have it (REO properties) in strong hands, you have flippers,” said Shiller, who helped create the S&P/Case Shiller real estate price indexes. “These speculators are preventing the market from crashing now, and when they get out it could fall again.”

Bloomberg.com: Worldwide

Last edited by Marka; 01-12-2009 at 04:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 03:32 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,466,444 times
I'm seeing that in my area. We're looking in a relatively small neighborhood and 3-5 properties have been bought and relisted (at a higher price) within the last year. Happily* none of those properties have sold. And one has dropped it's price to the point where there won't be any chance for a profit. People who bought homes they didn't want to live in have done a lot of damage out here. El-cheapo remodels, wonderful old homes destroyed by neglect and burst pipes, horrendous McMansions that no one wants to buy. The sooner these amateurs are out of the market, the better. I'll be reluctant to buy until I see their activity drop off. *I'm not happy when homeowners suffer or sell at a loss-- but speculators get no sympathy from me.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:56 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Shiller is an odd bird. He seems to acknowledge there is really very little that can be done to either "protect the stupid from themselves" or even to insulate the broader society from the negative consequences of their irrationality, yet he does strive to use the financial markets underpinnings to both create stronger financial institutions AND design more better forms of social insurance. http://www.publicpolicy.umd.edu/IPPP...Exuberance.htm

Good luck -- I prefer a much more succinct maxim, often seen over desks of active finacial traders: Bulls make money, bears make money, PIGS get slaughtered.

In the present context, it is entirely plausible that an investor could purchase a damaged home at a deep discount in otherwise attractive area, make some cost effective repairs and sell it for a resonable profit. Thus the "bearish" seller would feel OK, the bullish investor could do fine.

OTOH a "pig" would underpay for the home, harming the seller, yet be unable to find ANY buyers and GET SLAUGHTERED end up in default himself.

No PhD, but I think Shiller and I may have more in common than either of would admit on the surface...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate