U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 03:12 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,504,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
Hello,

I didn't know where to post this, so I decided here was the best place. My husband and I really want to buy a house; we are tired of paying rent. We are tired of raising our three kids in a very tight space. I live in Michigan where house values are drastically dropping. We feel that now would be a good time to buy. However we are low income with poor credit. I'm not even sure we would qualify for even the smallest loan. I am afraid to go to a real estate office for fear I'd be laughed at. Are there any loan programs out there for families like us or is it all just a pipe dream?

Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much for your time!
JenM -

I'm afraid these threads do tend to wander on and off topic...

I want to underline the terrific advice offered by herinfla above.

The Home Ownership Center does a wonderful job helping prospective first time home-buyers prepare. If there's an office near you, (I'd wager there is) I believe you'll find thier classes and individual counselling will be enormously helpful.

The Home Ownership Centers are run by HUD and they cost nothing. Clients of mine have actually been given slightly under-market loan loan rates after taking thier classes, and they even work with buyers on budgeting after the purchase at the buyer's request.

Best of luck to you!
David B.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 10:40 PM

250 posts, read 886,459 times
Wow! What an enormous response! Thank you all so much! I will definately check out those classes and see if a loan is attainable!

Old 03-15-2007, 12:14 AM

6 posts, read 17,324 times
Default Jen Wants a home

Hi Jen,

I am not from your area but given the info you provided you may have a difficult time getting a loan these days. Mortgage companies are finally coming to a halt, at least reputable ones, in giving loans to folks who really do not qualify based on income and credit scores. BUT...b/c there are homes sitting and not being sold especially in areas such as yours you may be able to get into a lease option to buy program with a seller. Don't ever feel that you will be laughed at - it is always a positive thing to challenge the obvious b/c it just may not be so. Please be careful of preditor type lenders and just make sure you don't jump into anything you really can't afford. I applaud you for at least getting information that will guide you in the process. We all started out there at one point...best wishes to you and your family (-:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate