Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 04:53 PM

42 posts, read 160,675 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about buying house in North Dallas area and wanted to talk to real estate agent. So far I contacted 2 buyers agent and most them don't seem to be very helpful to me. First of let me start by tell why I didn't find them helpful.

The first agent I talked to seems to be focused on only part of areas (suburbs) I was interested in. The agent worked in 2 cities I was very interested in but didn't know much of other areas I wanted to look at. The agent spent a lot her time trying to tell me to STOP looking at the other areas and only look at cities she works in! I want agent help me find home in the cities that I am looking in, not that other way around!

The another problem was this agent seemed to be always too busy. She hardly returned call, in fact she is one who ever returned my last call. I think maybe she was interested only in high end buyer, 400k+ houses, while I was looking at 200K houses, but not sure.

After I lost touch with that agent, I tried another approach. I think online zip realty, where they very nice website to search listing and a rebate program. However, after talking a real agent I got a bad impression. Looks like I one who supposed to work of browsing the listing and then contact agent for showing/to buy it. They didn't seem to helpful to actually help find a house for me!

For at end, I really didn't find an agent I liked at all. I what I am looking for in real estate agent is simple. Someone who has the time to Look for house for me in areas I want in price range I want. I need to sort through listing to find feature I want in the house, be knowledge about areas I am looking at, actually return my emails/calls, etc. I think it should easy, but am I asking for too much or something? My first 2 contact left me with a bad impression. So my back to main question, how the heck do I find a GOOD real estate buyer agent that will help me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 04:57 PM

42 posts, read 160,675 times
Just wanted to add a note, that my friend real agent who he signed a contract with sucked. The agent couldn't find the house my friend wanted. My friend ended finding the house he wanted HIMSELF and all the agent did was close the deal.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:30 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
head over to Active Rain and read some real estate agent blogs for the areas you are interested in. You can get a feel for the personalities of agents via their blogs. If you don't see anyone you like there/or in addition to...google "real estate blogs towns you are interested in" and see what comes up.

We agents have a certain style and sometimes you just don't have a good fit with a buyer. Keep looking until you find someone you trust.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:32 PM

546 posts, read 2,203,511 times
the best thing I would do is find referrals from trusted friends. another way is to find a realtor agent in your area who won awards, do some research on the web, depending on what specialty you're looking for. for me, I think it's important to have customer service oriented award as I need my agent to have patient with me. after that, you need to do interviews, I did NOT and was rushed into an agent that I have found on line. I regret every single day of my life now that I got her involved in my home purchase, she's rude and twists her words on her promises, she never gets things in writing, doesn't return my calls and threatens me on law suits when I ask what my rights are. If you sense something is not right from the start, then move on, don't rush into committing to one. When my agent first met with us, she threw the offer contract at us without going over them and she did not shake our hands to greet us which could be a warning sign of being a bad realtor, but due to some time contraints, I needed her help to help us with the offer. I don't want to see other clients to suffer the same as me. good luck.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:07 AM

189 posts, read 566,531 times
As a REALTOR, I disagree with finding an agent who has "won awards". Awards are based in my state on a nomination basis (i.e. you have to nominate yourself).

I think that nomination of one's self is not exactly a great indicator of one's ability to be an agent.

To answer your question. Find an agent who is willing to meet you when you want to meet and work their schedule around yours.

In this market, I would suggest looking for an agent in their mid 20's to early 30's based on the sole fact that this is someone who is new to the market most likely and is willing to show you everything you want to see in order to support their career. Most established agents can show a persona of not wanting to work with lower end buyers.

Find an agent who always answers their phone or at least calls you back within the hour. Find one who text messages and responds to emails. This is how most deals are done these days. If all this fails, contact me back and I will find an agent for you in the Dallas area myself.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:05 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,974,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Woods View Post
As a REALTOR, I disagree with finding an agent who has "won awards". Awards are based in my state on a nomination basis (i.e. you have to nominate yourself).

I think that nomination of one's self is not exactly a great indicator of one's ability to be an agent.

To answer your question. Find an agent who is willing to meet you when you want to meet and work their schedule around yours.

In this market, I would suggest looking for an agent in their mid 20's to early 30's based on the sole fact that this is someone who is new to the market most likely and is willing to show you everything you want to see in order to support their career. Most established agents can show a persona of not wanting to work with lower end buyers.

Find an agent who always answers their phone or at least calls you back within the hour. Find one who text messages and responds to emails. This is how most deals are done these days. If all this fails, contact me back and I will find an agent for you in the Dallas area myself.
OP, there are a lot of threads on this. Do a quick search and read some of them.

I disagree with a lot of the quoted text.

Someone who has won awards is probably pretty darn good at what they do. That of course shouldn't be the sole criteria but it's a plus.

Don't pick someone based on age because you might rule out some great agents. Pick someone with a lot of transactions under their belt. (and this is coming from a 30 year old.)

Flexibility is good. Established is good because they've been in the trenches and normally see problems before they are a problem. Responsiveness is good but always is a strong word.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:44 PM

311 posts, read 915,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thureen View Post
For at end, I really didn't find an agent I liked at all. I what I am looking for in real estate agent is simple. Someone who has the time to Look for house for me in areas I want in price range I want. I need to sort through listing to find feature I want in the house, be knowledge about areas I am looking at, actually return my emails/calls, etc. I think it should easy, but am I asking for too much or something? My first 2 contact left me with a bad impression. So my back to main question, how the heck do I find a GOOD real estate buyer agent that will help me?
I only wish you were near me, I would love to show you what an agent who really cares can do for you. My seller clients get weekly updates via email of the web activity on their homes. I also call them to just chat and see how they are doing. I started working with a new buyer just before Christmas. Due to a divorce, she had to be moved by Jan 31. We went out in blizzards, in knee deep snowdrifts, you name it to find her the right place. She moved in on Jan 30.

There are good agents, agents who are in the business to make a living, not get rich quick who really CARE about their clients. Its kinda like dating, you have to just keep trying til you find one that clicks with you and responds to what you have to say. When you find him/her, you will be GLAD you kept on searching. It can make your home buying/selling process so much easier! Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate