Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2009, 06:09 AM

21 posts, read 98,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
silestone kicks ass... no seams, no maintenance, virtually indestructible.

does it come in 700 styles like granite ? no, you got me there.
but the 60 or so styles of silestone were enough for me
Silestone has seams just like granite.
Limited color selection.
Big issues with color fade (5% per year in direct UV light)
Big issues with thermal shock (no hot pots on countertop)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 10:44 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,875,208 times
Whom ever wrote the article hasn't a clue what's in... Granite and stainless are most certainly still in. If they go out of style in ten years, replace them with what is in at the time.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:00 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Does anyone know where to get discount slabs?

Old 03-02-2009, 11:31 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Since our family does a lot butchering and canning we had a custom maple butcher block top made for a portion of our countertops. 7' long 3' wide slab was under $500. Once you butcher up half a hog or dress out a venison quarter you'll appreciate the properties of maple block.

Also- my knives appreciate it much better than they would if I was slamming them down on granite, lol. Cleaning is a snap, a little dilluted bleach and a rag, then top it off with mineral oil and *snap* good to go. Plus when we're canning, mason jars don't 'slide' off of wood like they do on a slick countertop.

My friend has granite, but they seldom use their kitchen. All show and no go. Since we are hard on our kitchen, quality laminate and a real honest to god dedicated food prep block is the way to go.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:34 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,696,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Since our family does a lot butchering and canning we had a custom maple butcher block top made for a portion of our countertops. 7' long 3' wide slab was under $500. Once you butcher up half a hog or dress out a venison quarter you'll appreciate the properties of maple block.

Also- my knives appreciate it much better than they would if I was slamming them down on granite, lol. Cleaning is a snap, a little dilluted bleach and a rag, then top it off with mineral oil and *snap* good to go. Plus when we're canning, mason jars don't 'slide' off of wood like they do on a slick countertop.

My friend has granite, but they seldom use their kitchen. All show and no go. Since we are hard on our kitchen quality laminate and a real honest to god dedicated food prep block is the way to go.
Who cuts on their counters? Isn't that what cutting boards are for?

Old 03-02-2009, 11:41 AM

Ma'am, if you're butchering a half of a hog you need a BIIG cutting board, lol.

Plus when we're processing vegetables, it's nice to have a large space to cut, skin, or prepare them. For example, if you are preparing a vegetable medley soup, or making salsa- you can have all your ingredients to be used laying on the counter in front of you, you cut them up, put what is used to one side, scrap to the other..

It's a lot easier. Especially if you put up your own food.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:49 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I still use cutting boards;regardless. Nice to have a real butcher block prep area for cutting . Hate to see your knifes without a cutting board.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:54 AM

It's really handy when you have a lot of veggies to prep for canning.

As a matter of fact, it's the ONLY thing we took from our house when we sold it last year. I've got it on sawhorses in my garage right now. An impromptu butchering area until we gut the kitchen, lol.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:21 AM

21 posts, read 98,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Does anyone know where to get discount slabs?

What are you actually looking for? Many time you can buy remnants from a fabricator. Most importers will NOT sell slabs to an individual.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:40 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Tops View Post
What are you actually looking for? Many time you can buy remnants from a fabricator. Most importers will NOT sell slabs to an individual.
I'm interested in remnants. I'll check out fabricators near me on google. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate